Body Shop Fiasco....

Author Topic: Body Shop Fiasco....  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Body Shop Fiasco....
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004 - 11:41:08 PM »

Just to make you feel better my paint expenses total: $12-13,000  :-[ ;D

Bodywork bill from resto shop 4-5 months worth. Don't even go there!!! LMAO!!
There goes my down payment on my first house. Easily.  ;)

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

lemonboy69

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004 - 12:54:56 AM »

It's not neccessarily the cost that gets me, it's more the fact of the drama that is happening and the decisions that are being made WITHOUT my approval on MY car!! ::) >:(

Guess we'll just have to see what Monday brings when I talk to Ed about all this... be nice and firm or jump at his throat... HMMMMM.... ::) ::) ::) ;)

LB

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004 - 02:59:49 AM »
I feel for you Mike
 I hate body work , I had 5 shops work on my Duster , none of them did the work properly , 3 sets of 1/4s & a couple years later I had the Cuda built & sold the Duster still in primer  , the 1/4s were not even rusty on my Duster , I cannot find 1 good shop around here to do any work at any price , 1 of the Top $$ shops here is a total butcher nothing I have seen them do is right
 from now on I will only buy cars with good bodys , I can fix the rest myself   

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

lemonboy69

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004 - 03:46:10 AM »

I hear ya on that CP!!! :o ::) This shop is almost an hour and a half away from me, and when I dropped the car off, the guy who referred me to them was picking up his '69 Daytona... his car came out AMAZING and the first show he entered it in, it took Best of Show... ::) ::) Let's just hope they get things cleared up and get my car done or I'll pull it from the shop and have someone else paint it!! :o ::)

LB

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004 - 11:03:22 AM »
LB your going to school to be an ASE certifieded technician, why dont you switch to body work and just fix CCC people cars as it seams they fork out enough cash to make a good living ?
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Plum6Pak

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004 - 12:51:23 PM »
 :o That is certainly a bunch of dough to pay but later you will be very happy with it as long as you get what you paid for. I'm just about in the same boat as you, I'm into mine around 15K and haven't even got the body done! Oh well, I am happy with it though, even doing it all myself the price is going through the roof!! Good Luck LB, I am sure you will be very pleased with it and the owner of the shop will comply with your concerns.  ;D

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004 - 02:17:46 PM »
Mike,

If at all possible i think you should allow this shop finish your car as originally agreed upon. Also there needs to be a closed door sit down with several folks - hopefully at the same time - and the sooner the better. They need to know your thoughts on things as well as explain why any changes ocurred without your consent. All things on the table without exception. 
  I get a bad feeling about changing shops or any contractor that's not performing to expectations. The old '...don't really like to finish someone else's work...' thing. Plus it leads to many bitter feelings, extra time, and lots of other things that cause wrinkles and high blood pressure :P
  You wouldn't have let Ed and company get anywhere if you didn't feel solid about them, so i'd like to believe things will proceed without incident and you'll have your car home in short order.

tfn(Russ)

Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004 - 05:52:34 PM »
Where were all you guys when I had my body shop?I was doing resto work dirt cheap and some people would still complain about how much it cost.  :-\
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2004 - 09:58:01 PM »
Don't jump at his throat, he has your car. If you ever want to see it fixed, leave $10,000 on unmarked bills... never mind. ::)

Seriously, though, you could lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau...

lemonboy69

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2004 - 02:11:14 AM »
Seriously, though, you could lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau...

I don't think, and sure hope it won't come to that... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thanks for all the concerns/ideas guys! It means a lot coming from everybody here... I'm letting myself sort things out in my head this weekend, then come Monday morning, I'll make a call to Ed and talk with him... I'll be sure to keep you guys updated!!

'73-360... I've actually changed careers to Multimedia... no more Automotive (I'm just going to leave it as a hobby - a very expensive one that is!)... I've always loved messing around with video and pictures, so now it's finally time to do what I really love!!

Watch for an update on this Monday afternoon!!

LB

Offline 6pkrunner

• Evil Monkey in Runner
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004 - 02:29:15 PM »
The only thing I do not do to cars is bodywork. It is more of a black art and voodoo type of thing than science of the rest of the car. I have been lucky to keep finding good guys to do my cars. My eldest son has stumbled upon this newest guy who is nothing short of a wizard with metal and paint. The guy is only in his 30s and he paints like some of the old line guys I used to know. And he's sick of doing the rice stuff. I told him he can have the GTS when I got it stripped and he's psyched to do it.
But for each good guy out there in bodyland, I hear three hundred horror stories. Hope you get it worked out with your 'cuda.

lemonboy69

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2004 - 09:25:01 AM »

Well.. here's a little update for ya guys!!

Talked with Ed on Monday afternoon... asked him about Rich getting the car instead of Jeff finishing it off. He said Jeff is more of the hardcore cutting and putting back together guy... his finished products (primer and sanding) don't turn out as nice as Rich's... Ok, good, so she's going to be straight and smooth (I can understand that!). As far as the body line being added without my approval... Ed didn't EVEN know about Rich doing that... he said he'd have that taken care of. I then asked about all the extra time it would take to fix it, not to mention all the time already into putting it there... Ed said, I gave you a final number, I'm sticking by that... even if it takes an extra 12 hours to fix... :o :o ;) :D ;D

So, I guess I didn't really have anything to worry about in the first place... always a good feeling to have!!

LB

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004 - 09:30:37 AM »
you must be relieved!!!!!

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2004 - 11:39:01 AM »
Good to hear LB :)

tfn
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2004 - 01:03:55 PM »
Ed sounds like a decent guy.  Glad it's working out for ya.  Do you think this is going to add a few weeks on the project before paint?
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!