Body Shop Fiasco....

Author Topic: Body Shop Fiasco....  (Read 7427 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Body Shop Fiasco....
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004 - 01:11:41 PM »

AWESOME MIKE!!!!  :D Thats really good news bud. This ED guy sounds like he is a car entusiast that appricates time and the car people themself, not just for money but for the hobby.  ;)

Not long mate and the screaming six will be pounding the pavement!!!  8)

"Bad to the Bone" or "Back in Black" blasting for it's return!!!  ;D

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2004 - 02:22:29 PM »
Hey, Mike.. sounds as if it'all work it self out. A good career path would be multimedia and greaqt job potential. Good move imo. Better job/salary = more fun w/ the automotive hobby!!   ;D :D

On another note. My brother's vert should be done in a couple of weeks. they too are block sanding and the body lines look awesome. Of course the shop has not given him an estimate yet.. shop owner just keeps saying that he trying to get a reputation on classic cars & would like my brother's 70 vert to be the poster child. However, he's saying that he has "800" hours in the car.. BS!!!! Maybe for someon not knowing what they're doing. the guy actually doing the work is meticulous and from the old school.

Shop owner said to me this weekend.. "you see this deck lid??, my guy has 50 hours in this" I didn't say anything, becasue it's not mine. My brother says it was 30 hours the other day. i feel like the guy is just making up hours.

They did alot of metal work, but 800 hours is out of control. He said my brother would pay about 1/2 what he's got into it.
800 hrs * 45/hr = 36,000 /2 = $18k. I told my brother expect to pay 20-25k. Anything over that.. take him to court. My brother has an org quote for $6k. But obviously needs much more work.

What's the going shop rate these days??

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2004 - 06:40:44 PM »
Well Mike, that's good news!!  Too bad it'll take longer in the shop, but that should be expected at nearly every shop.  They try to get your car out of there faster, but sometimes people get in accidents during your car's progress so they switch to the insurance claim first....I know that happened to mine when I needed the shop's help and I knew the owner really well.  He just appologized, but I understand that those are the repairs that provides the food on the table and the bills to get paid.  Anyways, to answer 71Fish's question about shop costs, it's right around $45.00 per hour these days. ::)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004 - 12:10:59 PM »
LB that's great news and I'm sure it's going to be perfect. When you get it back I'll need to come by and check it out. :)

lemonboy69

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004 - 08:05:26 PM »
Anyways, to answer 71Fish's question about shop costs, it's right around $45.00 per hour these days. ::)

Maybe in your area it is... :o :o The shop I'm at is about 70 miles outside of Chicago, and the labor rate is $65/hour.... here in the suburbs, it ranges anywhere from $75/hour (GM, Mopar dealers) to $125/hour (Jaguar, BMW, etc)... :o :o :'( :'( Just glad this isn't a new car I'm paying for... SHEESH!!

Rev... yeah, it's gonna add a little time... seeing as how it was supposed to be painted the first week of this month... if I can have her home by the end of this month before it gets any colder then it already is, I'll be happy enough!!! ;) :D

NZ... I've ordered new speakers for my garage, along with trying to find a new stereo amp... HEHEHE!!! Back in Black and Bad to the Bone!!! ROCK ON MATE!! ;D ;D

LB

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2004 - 07:24:15 AM »

Yehaaaaaaw!!!  :D Sounds good Mike.

I'll keep a-rockin till the Police come-a knockin!  8) ;D

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2004 - 10:25:58 PM »
Glad it's working out, and you're getting the better bodyman.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline moparbowhunter

• MOPARS RULE AND ALL OTHERS DROOOL!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2004 - 11:41:24 PM »
gald to hear that everything is workin out well LB. good luck getting her home safe and sound and i hope it all turns out as good as it is expected to.
by the way got any pics yet? as you knwo we love pics!!!  LOL  ;D
70 Barracuda

lemonboy69

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2004 - 01:49:16 AM »

LOL... Thanks guys!! I'm hoping to make it up there next week as I need to finish sandblasting the rear end and hopefully start assemblying some of the suspension pieces... 8) 8) I should have pics then...

Hey MoparMan440... you don't happen to have an enclosed trailer you'd let me borrow to bring her home would ya?? I'll give ya some money for BEER (read, FREE BEER!) for letting me use it... Or Onebadhemi... this applies to you as well!! ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

LB

Plum6Pak

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2004 - 01:13:17 PM »
 :o  Did you say Free Beer? I might drive out from Utah for that!!! LOL Let us see the finished product LB once you get there get some good digital pics.  ;D

Offline onebadhemi

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2004 - 01:46:04 PM »
LB... I wish I had a trailer for you to use ......sorry
I do have lots of space for free beer ;)
get some pics asap!!!!!

1970 R/T Challenger
1971 Pro street"HEMI" Challenger
2003 V-10 Ram 2500 Q/C
2006 Charger R/T

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2004 - 03:08:29 PM »
FREE BEER?!?!?
Man, I was fast asleep until I heard that! ;D

Glad to hear it's gonna work out well for ya! Of course you will owe us plenty-o-pics! ;D

'70 Charger 500

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2004 - 12:25:06 AM »
Did someone say FREE BEER !  LB I may be able to help you out but I need to make a call. I have a buddy with a enclosed trailer but he does snowmobile racing starting sometime soon. That being said he's normally tied up but I'll see what I can do. If you want PM with the details like when you'll need it. Thanks 

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2004 - 06:49:37 PM »
Wow Mike, it's that much?!!!!!  That's crazy!!!! :o :o  Do you have any pics yet? ;) ;D
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2004 - 06:46:51 PM »
$65-$125 an hour! :o Ok my rates are going up,I only charge $20-25/hr for the side jobs I do.I might just have to start charging more,maybe $35/hr for Mopars and $45/hr for other makes like the Pontiac hood scoop I`m working on for a guy.  :D
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi