Author Topic: Deck Lid Hinges  (Read 1121 times)

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
Deck Lid Hinges
« on: May 26, 2010 - 12:49:26 AM »
I was going to remove my hinges for the deck lid the other day and could not figure out how to do so.  I need to get those painted.  Does anyone have any advise?  Thanks!
Jason

OxfordMotorSports

Re: Deck Lid Hinges
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010 - 11:36:48 AM »
Anyone? I have never had to address this problem. Can someone give him a clue? :popcorn:

Todd

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010 - 11:55:47 AM »
When I get to that point, I plan on painting the hinges installed on the car with a touch up gun. It'll be one of the first things painted in the trunk. Once flashed, change the angle and get the other remaining areas that weren't exposed.

Anyone looking upside down inside in my trunk to see if it's painted there might lose their head.  :lol:

If you insist on taking them off and painting separately, you can buy the clips from R/T Specialties. Dave at Roseville may even have them.

The clips are located up under the rain gutter channels on the sides of the quarter panel. They are only good for one installation. When you take them off, they really aren't worth re using a second time.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=1004217
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010 - 07:46:54 PM »
The clips are just a big push on pry off spring washer with multiple teeth that fits over the 1/2 stud. I removed mine with a couple of screw drivers and wedged them off. Mine were ok on the reinstallation but I could see them loosing their tension as stated before if not very careful. I took mine off to remove the slop out of the pivots. Basically I reamed a couple of larger thick washers to the right size, centered them over the hinge hole and tacked them to the hinge to give them more surface area. There is sort of a groove in the hinge pivot stud that the spring washed snaps into so I couldn't go with a very thick bushing.

Wes

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010 - 09:54:37 PM »
Wes, sounds like a good trick and might try on my next project.

I just painted my hinges on the car still in place at the same time that I painted the inside of the trunk.  Things worked out pretty good this way too.

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010 - 10:39:13 AM »
The clips are just a big push on pry off spring washer with multiple teeth that fits over the 1/2 stud. I removed mine with a couple of screw drivers and wedged them off. Mine were ok on the reinstallation but I could see them loosing their tension as stated before if not very careful. I took mine off to remove the slop out of the pivots. Basically I reamed a couple of larger thick washers to the right size, centered them over the hinge hole and tacked them to the hinge to give them more surface area. There is sort of a groove in the hinge pivot stud that the spring washed snaps into so I couldn't go with a very thick bushing.

Wes

I saw that on there and was wondering if I should try and remove it or not.  I will try and get that off on my next days off.  Thanks.
Jason