Author Topic: Daily driver E bodys?  (Read 8115 times)

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
Re: Daily driver E bodys?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010 - 02:24:05 PM »
When i had my 70 charger i drove it year round in the u.p of michigan.i still remember the time i nailed the gas and the back end got away from me and ended up on top of a snow back buried.  :lol: when my 71 chally is finished i don't think i would be taking it out here in the minnesota winters though.  :nono:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010 - 04:12:13 PM »
I was just thinking...................I don't drive them as daily drivers now but I did 35-40 years ago.    :cooldancing:  Does that count? I didn't think so.    :dunno:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010 - 05:02:11 PM »
drive mine every chance i get

72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010 - 07:41:48 PM »
I drove my first Cuda every day back in the late 80's, it was all I had to drive. When I spun a rod bearing in the 340 I did a one day swap to a 318 a friend of mine had so I wouldn't have to walk! I would walk before I drove mine every day now, too many people out there with cell phones!  :roflsmiley:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:18:12 PM »
I drive mine almost every single day. It is, in fact, my only working car at the moment  :icon16: (yes, out of the 6 I own). I've owned it for just over 2 years now, and have put over 18,000 miles on it. More in the last year than the first, had a few issues to sort out. I usually average about 10k a year. It gets parked outside, and I run standard auto insurance on it, covered up to its value at time of purchase. Only other form of transportation is my '07 Triumph Speed Triple (sport bike). So the Challenger is also my foul weather ride, leaky windows and all  ::) .  I do occasionally borrow my g/f's truck for hauling parts, but not always  ;D.

I haul parts in it too. Here it is hauling a '71 front fender back from the Ohlone show last year for my eventual clone job. Back seat already looked like that  ;). Probably the largest thing I've hauled in it, but definitely NOT the heaviest.  :grinno:

Offline spoilersbyrandy

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010 - 12:06:07 AM »
I am enjoying looking at all the pictures and reading the stories. I am still looking for a challenger project.

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010 - 01:58:08 AM »
I drive mine almost every single day. It is, in fact, my only working car at the moment 

Damn, that Blue on Blue looks really nice !

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010 - 08:17:06 PM »
I did drive mine daily.  Probably why I have so much rust now.  I would not do it again, that's for sure. 
{oo/===\oo}

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010 - 10:33:29 PM »
Damn, that Blue on Blue looks really nice !

Thanks Russ! Its a little off-putting at first, I'm actually going to put a black carpet in it to break things up a little. Otherwise, EVERYTHING is blue. Dash, seats, carpet, trim, headliner, pretty much all of it. The car was originally B3 (petty) blue, not B5 as it is now, which was probably an even more interesting look.

And the picture itself makes the car look MUCH cleaner than it is. The paint is super glossy, and at 20 ft its hard to tell just how much bondo and rust it covers up. Paint was by a previous owner, and no doubt intended to boost the sale price above what it should've been. But I like showing that one off, she does look good in it.  ;)

Offline 74_318Cuda

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010 - 02:05:57 PM »
here is a picture of the 74 barracuda 318 auto I had in high school a few years ago. I drove it throughout the winter, driving it it sleet and snow. I loved driving it around, wasn't really worried if something happened to it because then I could just work on it more! I do miss it though, had to sell it to fund college

if anyone knows where it is let me know! Last time i saw it was on ebay in Flordia about 2 weeks after i sold it, had a 6 pack fiberglass hood on it

Dave

Offline Rob74dodge

• 1974 Challenger
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010 - 12:41:30 PM »
I've been driving the Challenger to the shop everyday for about a month now.  Haven't finished the 360 engine swap yet in the 86' D150 I usually drive. I call the truck the Mule cause' it's stubborn and ugly but always gets me where I need to go. I have got to get that project finished to start driving it again,people avoid me in that old dog.
Yeah the risk of getting hit in the Challenger has me on edge somedays. No traffic really here at 7 a.m. but at 6 yes.
I sure enjoy it minus the 95 deg/ no a/c afternoon drive heat.  Sometimes people are staring at it so much they aren't watching where they're going !?
  Well stay sharp out there guys, watch out for the goobers.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010 - 12:43:09 PM by Rob74dodge »

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010 - 01:03:11 PM »
Speaking of goobers, I was driving the Cuda yesterday and had a dude on a cycle nearly dump it trying to point and nod at me :22yikes:

Offline Rob74dodge

• 1974 Challenger
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010 - 07:32:58 PM »
I just had a good example of the dangers of drivin' the ol' car.
Went to the grocery store, told the sacker o' I'll get it , you know the routine and she said well I have to bring back the basket anyway sir so , o.k. thankyou and off we go to the Challenger.
Just as we are placing the last sack in the trunk I look up only to see the basket rolling towards the right front fender ! :eek2:
I almost looked like the guy in the VW commercial running and diving to save the car from the impact.
Thank goodness I did snag that evil rolling metal fender denting machine just before it hit my Challenger.   Wheww !  Close call.
Again, stay sharp out there.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010 - 08:00:11 AM »
Did I miss something?  :clueless:

No more spam bot :cooldancing:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010 - 11:31:06 PM by 'Cuda Hunter »
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010 - 05:28:08 PM »
The reason I bought my challenger was for something a little smaller than a b-body for a daily summer car.   It was just a beat up rusty 318 car.   The way I look at it is you can buy just about any part new anymore and I'll have 20k plus less in it than a new one.   Something major happens, I'll collect insurance and start again!
70 challenger project
68 satellite