Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 6550 times)

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

• U. S. Navy: Interior Communications Electrician
Oil Leak
« on: May 28, 2010 - 02:32:46 PM »
 :naughty: My 72 had a mild oil leak when I got it. During a spring shake down drive, I noticed the leak was significantly worse. I pulled the valve covers off, since I knew that's where the leak was coming from. I realized the last owner had put 2 cork gaskets under the Edelbrock covers and that the covers were bent. I ordered a new set of covers, gaskets and hold downs from Summit. I ran into a problem with the PCV valve. Both the new covers are keyed for oil filler caps. I headed over to my local O'Riley's and found a sealed breather cap with a grommeted hole in the top to insert the PCV. Here's a before pic and some pics of the completed assembly.  :biggrin:

Enjoy.

-Aaron
-Aaron-
Bozeman, MT, USA (and wherever the Navy takes me)

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Rigid industries off road lights, Rough Country 4" suspension lift, CB radio... still working on it.
Fellow Service Members and Veterans, join me on www.togetherweserved.com, JK owners at www.jkowners.com, and Hemi Truck owners (and former owners) on www.hemitruckclub.com.
Former wheels: 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 Rallye, 2003 Hemi Ram 1500, 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.
Future projects in the garage: Streetable .030 over 383, 1977 Chevy Custom 20 SC/LB.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010 - 03:25:17 PM »
Aaron,

Since you have a PCV valve in place, you should have a breather on the other valve cover. You won't believe this, but I can help you here.   :lol:  On the opposite side of the Mopar script from the oil filler cap is a punch out. See that silver dollar looking thing? That punches out so you can add an air breather element.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010 - 03:30:07 PM »
The old covers didn't have one and the guys at O'Rileys didn't say I need one with the PCV. How would having a breather change the operation of the motor?
-Aaron-

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Rigid industries off road lights, Rough Country 4" suspension lift, CB radio... still working on it.
Fellow Service Members and Veterans, join me on www.togetherweserved.com, JK owners at www.jkowners.com, and Hemi Truck owners (and former owners) on www.hemitruckclub.com.
Former wheels: 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 Rallye, 2003 Hemi Ram 1500, 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.
Future projects in the garage: Streetable .030 over 383, 1977 Chevy Custom 20 SC/LB.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010 - 04:51:16 PM »
Breather provides a  Vent for the PCV to suck air through
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010 - 05:06:27 PM »
Breather provides a  Vent for the PCV to suck air through
:iagree: yes needs a breather
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010 - 08:21:39 PM »
Sounds good guys. I'll make it happen. :2thumbs:
-Aaron-

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:12:24 PM »
The old covers didn't have one and the guys at O'Rileys didn't say I need one with the PCV. How would having a breather change the operation of the motor?
i
Guys at O'Rileys are right--no need for a breather-just let the vacuum build up in the motor until a gasket leaks, lol

The breather provides fresh air for the pcv vacuum. The pcv sucks the fumes out but those fumes need to be replaced with fresh air.

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010 - 10:09:21 PM »
Okay.

Q1. Does the Breather need to be on the same cover as the PCV, or can I replace the oil filler cap on the other cover?

Q2. Even though the PCV leads into the base of the carb, I still need a breather?

Question 2 is why the guy at O'Riley's said I didn't need the breather. He's got a Chevelle he built about 10 years ago, I figure he knows a hell of a lot more than the chick who couldn't even find a part when I gave her the exact name of what I was after.

-Aaron
-Aaron-

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010 - 10:59:00 PM »
The breather needs to be on the opposite side of the pvc, otherwise you would just suck fresh air across the inside of the valve cover. AS to Q2, thats exactly why you need a breather.  You are sucking fumes from the crankcase, so you need a form of replacing the sucked out air (ie breather )

And there is a good reason people work at O Riley's. They cant get a job at a real auto parts store. :roflsmiley:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010 - 11:02:43 PM »
A1.  The other valve cover is a good place to put the breather.
A2.  The vucuum from the base of the carb will depressurize the crankcase, but the air it is drawing in needs to be replaced to equalize the pressure.  The breather will draw in clean air to replace the stuff being sucked out through the PCV.

Early small block Chevys had a crankcase evacuation system which did not vent through the valve covers.  There are lots of guys who run breathers and not PCV valves, but on a street car the PCV valve is a pretty good system.  The Chevelle guy might fall into one of those categories.  Or he might not know any better- he is a Chevy guy after all. :grinyes:
** Shane **

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010 - 02:01:25 AM »
Cool, thanks guys! :cheers:

I was going to make the Chevy comment, until I realized some of the other guys here own those too.  :roflsmiley:
-Aaron-

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010 - 07:03:58 AM »
You guys have me curious. How come stock small block valve covers don't have a breather? Just cap on one side and PCV on the other..?  :clueless:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010 - 08:21:24 AM »
Some of the filler caps act as breathers, also when you stir the motor up pressure will build up inside the motor and the PCV cannot handle all the extra so it then goes out the breather, that is why you can get oil deposits around the breather. If no breather then the pressure will blow out a gasket or seal, that is why race cars have catch cans instead of breathers.   :thumbsup:
Dave

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010 - 08:26:32 AM »
You guys have me curious. How come stock small block valve covers don't have a breather? Just cap on one side and PCV on the other..?  :clueless:

UHHHH Look again

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010 - 08:30:51 AM »
Clean looking engine bay Bullitt,    :bigsmile:   :cheers:
Dave