Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010 - 08:45:43 AM »
Clean looking engine bay Bullitt,    :bigsmile:   :cheers:

Just a reference pic...not mine but something to strive for.   :cheers:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010 - 01:55:37 PM »
UHHHH Look again

:roflsmiley: Wow I guess I wasn't thinking straight!  :faint: Looks like I need to get my gauges together and drive it more often..  :blah:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

• U. S. Navy: Interior Communications Electrician
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010 - 09:15:52 PM »
Got the breather in. Car runs great! My oil pressure gauge responds like it should as the RPMs go up. I did manage to find the other side of the leak. It's the oil pan gasket's fault :-\. I have the new pan gasket and I'm going to treat it to the same process as the valve covers. The car's on jack stands now and I'm taking care of the problem this week :ylsuper:. That makes me happy :dogpile: :bananasmi :biggrin: :grinyes: :rofl: :lol: :lol2: ;D :cheers: :drool: :bigshades: :burnout: :droolingbounce: :swaying: :jumping: :crazy: :bigsmile: :roflsmiley: :woohoo: :woo: :clapping: :cooldancing: :money: :smilielol: :2thumbs:.
-Aaron-
Bozeman, MT, USA (and wherever the Navy takes me)

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Rigid industries off road lights, Rough Country 4" suspension lift, CB radio... still working on it.
Fellow Service Members and Veterans, join me on www.togetherweserved.com, JK owners at www.jkowners.com, and Hemi Truck owners (and former owners) on www.hemitruckclub.com.
Former wheels: 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 Rallye, 2003 Hemi Ram 1500, 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.
Future projects in the garage: Streetable .030 over 383, 1977 Chevy Custom 20 SC/LB.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010 - 09:35:15 PM »
Got the breather in. Car runs great! My oil pressure gauge responds like it should as the RPMs go up. 

So you were having oil pressure issues?  ....Good to hear this worked out well  :woo:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010 - 01:32:49 AM »
I wouldn't say it was an oil pressure issue. The gauge wasn't responding as the demand for oil went up. I'm positive having the leaky gaskets was to blame. :villagers:

Now that the valve cover gaskets are done, the gauge is responding to the RPMs. As soon as I get the oil pan gasket done, there should be no issues and the engine should run as good as new. :working:

Then I can start in on the electrical system. :banghead: I'm going to start showing the car this summer. There are 4 shows coming up locally this summer I want to go to. The first one will be next month on the 10th in the parking lot of a local grocery store which happens to be next to the O'Riley's I was talking about earlier. :smilielol: I'll be sure to post plenty of pics from the shows. :woohoo:
-Aaron-

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Rigid industries off road lights, Rough Country 4" suspension lift, CB radio... still working on it.
Fellow Service Members and Veterans, join me on www.togetherweserved.com, JK owners at www.jkowners.com, and Hemi Truck owners (and former owners) on www.hemitruckclub.com.
Former wheels: 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 Rallye, 2003 Hemi Ram 1500, 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.
Future projects in the garage: Streetable .030 over 383, 1977 Chevy Custom 20 SC/LB.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010 - 08:20:22 AM »
Sorry to rain on your parade bud,  but... leaking gaskets have nothing to do with oil pressure.  That is unless of course your oil level drops enough to suck the sump dry.  But I will assume that you checked your oil more often than that. Either way, glad everything is working good now. :thumbsup:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010 - 03:16:19 AM »
I've been checking the oil pretty regularly. haven't seen much change in the level. maybe because the oil was just blowing through the gaskets, it was sucking the sump dry just trying to maintain pressure. just a thought. :dunno: I'm fixing the pan gasket on sunday. it's been raining every day/afternoon for a couple weeks here and i'm a recruiter, so not much opportunity to drive my own vehicles during the day. mostly in the late afternoons and weekends. the rest of my drive time in my 35,000 sq mile territory is required to be in a gov't owned vehicle... it's kinda fun driving that 09 pontiac g-6, sometimes an 05 jeep liberty (not our favorite). both are base models. kinda wired, the g-6 has an auto start system in it. :scared:
-Aaron-

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010 - 11:41:14 PM »
I went to drop the oil pan last night and I started to take off the track rod :swear:. All the castle nuts came off fine except for the one on the inner tie rod end :stomp:. As the nut reached the end of the bolt, the bolt started to turn inside the inner tie rod end :banghead:. Now I get to replace the tie rod ends and the pitman arm earlier than expected :working:. I found some with the urethane bushings from justsuspension.com for about $280 :money:. Hopefully, I don't have to replace any other parts for a while.

At least it's been raining here for the last 3 weeks and it isn't showing any signs of lightening up in the next 2 weeks :dunno:. I guess that means there's no chance of driving the Chally in that time either :(.

Either way, I'll get the poor thing off the jack stands and on the road again soon :burnout:.
-Aaron-