Author Topic: Does this look like the right color  (Read 3532 times)

OxfordMotorSports

Re: Does this look like the right color
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:03:08 PM »
Let me tell you how crazy it can get on a color match. A close friend of my wife's rear ended someone in her 2002 Ford Mustang. Punched a small hole in her bumper cover. I get asked to do a FAVOR and fix it. The car is black. Well guess what - there are 3 different black paint codes for the 02 Mustang. This car is paint code UA. My point is there is room for mistake - especially for the guy mixing the paint.

Chrysler always produced wild colors for their muscle cars. The purple is one of my favorite - in any shade close to the original.

Todd

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:09:47 PM »
I know that...did you, by chance, look at the EBAY link a few posts up?? That one seems to be less purple. Was that closer to "correct"

We don't know if the EBAY car is dead on. Maybe it's light. Does anyone on this forum have a correctly painted and matched Plum Crazy car they can post pictures of to help? You need a proper comparison that you know is correct. EVEN A PAINT CHIP from a paint chip book wouldn't be exact.

Todd

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:15:51 PM »
I think you're beating yourself up too much over this.  The car looks really nice, no matter if it's a shade off or not (and I'm not saying it is).  If this is the only questionable thing with it, it would not stop me.  It looks really nice.

Offline mjb765

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:18:58 PM »
I think you're beating yourself up too much over this.  The car looks really nice, no matter if it's a shade off or not (and I'm not saying it is).  If this is the only questionable thing with it, it would not stop me.  It looks really nice.

Agreed (I think)..That is the only questionable thing right now...I am flying down to see it Friday. 

And as a side note---attached is the color chart--the Plum Crazy looks more purple on my computer than it does in the pic I just posted?? Go Figure...

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:23:02 PM »
Colors varied even from the factory.  I'm sure you could put two cars next to eachother that were built a few months apart and see a slight color difference.  I know where you are coming from though.  I had to OK the paint color for my car before anything got painted.  I was worried about it being correct too. 

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:35:35 PM »
Agreed (I think)..That is the only questionable thing right now...I am flying down to see it Friday. 

And as a side note---attached is the color chart--the Plum Crazy looks more purple on my computer than it does in the pic I just posted?? Go Figure...

See. It's lighter than the color chart by a mile. If you like the car buy it. Chally is correct. It's not that far off.

Todd

Offline mjb765

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:37:56 PM »
Thanks for letting me rant :cheers:

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010 - 12:45:04 AM »
Thanks for letting me rant :cheers:

Now go buy one of the FINEST muscle cars EVER built!  :cooldancing:  :burnout:

Todd

Offline mjb765

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010 - 12:54:33 AM »
6 1/2 days to go!!!!

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010 - 02:18:55 AM »
its lighter to me also!!!

Offline Dodgegrl97

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010 - 03:20:11 AM »
it really looks a little on the light side i know it took over 5 times to get my dad's car the perfect plum crazy purple
Dana

"Yes I know there is a dana rear end and no I was not named after it"

71 Cuda Clone
68 Coronet
05 Cummins 2500
08 427R

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010 - 09:44:53 AM »
  I just had my car painted with PPG paint. Purple is really hard to judge in pictures.  The lighting changes the color alot. In some of my pics my car looks a bit more blue, the indoor shots are  all different looking.  I have seen some purples that look more grape like, or lighter in color. Just did'nt look right but those shots of the challenger look pretty close to mine.

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010 - 04:08:13 PM »
Your car looks awesome! You are right about pictures. They are of little value for comparison and not an accurate representation of the actual color applied to the vehicle. Nothing beats direct sunlight.

What motor is going in your car?

Todd

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010 - 06:40:47 PM »
My  :2cents: I prefer the one on Ebay but pictures tell different stories when judging car colors.

Take you paint chip and if your gut says no; don't buy it.
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010 - 11:40:11 PM »
   Todd---- my car has a 340-A/T.  It has a new black vinyl top on it with the gull wing and rear window louvers to come. With these black accents it really pops against the purple.