Author Topic: Wiper linkage questions  (Read 2430 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Wiper linkage questions
« on: June 02, 2010 - 09:53:15 AM »
Well, now I'm in trouble...LOL

Drove the car yesterday and for the first time ever, it rained HEAVILY on it.  Huge storms.

Anyways, as I was driving, the passenger side wiper stopped wiping...I assume a linkage or something broke off.... :banghead:

**update
Took a look and it turns out that the retaining clip for the linkage popped off and luckily it was just laying there.

I added a rubber washer under the arm, seeing as the tension washer was pretty much just flat....I also tightened up the bend on the clip a bit....seems to be holding but it sure seems like a cheesey way to secure it.... :dunno:  Seems like it JUST barely holds...

Also found that there is a lot of slop in the linkage for the drivers side, where it connects to the motor's arm.  I have this schematic in my manual but for the life of me it doesnt seem like the connection between the arms hole (large) and the pin on the motor's arm is supposed to be tight (but I think it should be)...is the picture missing a bushing or something?

My wipers chatter across the windoshield and that loose connection on the drivers side makes a hell of a racket and I am sure it is just a matter of time that it lets loose too.

I would like to replace theclips and whatever other hardware is there.....as well as fix the parking issue.....is this area the "cam" people were talking about as far as the parking issue?

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: Wiper linkage questions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010 - 09:54:10 AM »
I just went out and looked on ebay for new clips.....they are getting $10 for ONE little clip (motor arm to linkage) and $30 for the little clip that holds the "little arm" on the drivers side!!!    :bricks1:

I would like to rebuild the cam, linkage and all if possible.....does someone have a whole kit (and will I have to remortgage my house to afford it....LOL)?

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010 - 10:14:17 AM »
I once had a similar problem on a 1971 Satellite. This was before we could just order overpriced resto parts for our wiper linkage, so I had to be creative. I got the tension I needed, and little noise, from using the only useless part of the Holley secondary spring package. The black spring took up the space nicely in the "loose" pivot, and it NEVER popped off again. No re-bending clips, or trying to put a wave back into the spring washer, either.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 - 10:21:39 AM »
I also appear to not have the "cover" and "clip" for the motor linkage as shown in the picture.....