Author Topic: Indy Heads and Distributor Cap  (Read 611 times)

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
Indy Heads and Distributor Cap
« on: June 03, 2010 - 07:24:50 PM »
Anyone running Indy EZ heads and the distributor cap is just a little too close?  To put the cap on, you have to work kind of hard to get it on.  It is really tight, rubbing on the head.  Did you clearance that area if you had a problem?  When I get back home, I am going to try and get that taken care of, just thought I would see if anyone else has that issue.  I am using a Mopar dist.
Jason

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Indy Heads and Distributor Cap
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010 - 07:51:11 PM »
you should be able to add some clearance with a die grinder , the alum should be quite thich there

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010 - 10:15:45 PM »
Are you talking about the cap hold down screws area hitting the heads? If so then what I did was reorient the position of #1 then rotate the distributor until the screws area was away from the heads and away from the problem.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010 - 09:10:35 AM »
Are you talking about the cap hold down screws area hitting the heads? If so then what I did was reorient the position of #1 then rotate the distributor until the screws area was away from the heads and away from the problem.

Actually talking about the rim around the bottom of the cap.  You have to wedge that corner in, then put the rest of the cap on.  When the cap is not on, it looks like it is going to be a really tight fit, and sure enough, it is.  It is so tight in there that it is kind of "scary" to adjust the timing.  Just do not want to brake anything.  I have a drum with some pretty coarse sandpaper on it that should take off enough area. 
Jason