Alter-K-tion suspension

Author Topic: Alter-K-tion suspension  (Read 7872 times)

Offline Lovemy440

• mopar or no car
Alter-K-tion suspension
« on: October 17, 2004 - 09:16:38 PM »
any opinions on the Alter-K-tion suspension? could i get a link to a place to buy it
Nos is neat,
Injection hard to beat
But when it"s time to get goin
I'd rather be blown

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Alter-K-tion suspension
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004 - 10:46:53 PM »
out of a poor selection of alternative K frames I feel the AlterKtion is the best one ,while not done the way I would do it it is better than most  I can`t find a link but Big Block Dart site seems to have an ad for them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004 - 12:29:15 AM »
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline hemi6t8

• 1968 Blown 528 HEMI Charger
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005 - 12:19:54 AM »
 I have to agree with Chryco Psycho. The Alterktion is definitely the best around right now for the street application. I have been looking into several options for some time for my 68 charger. I have looked at the Magnum Force k frame, Alterktion, and some other customer made options. I have talked to Bill at Alterktion many times, and he made me feel very comfortable about what his frame is capable of doing and what it wont. I have also confirmed what he told me with customer fabricators local to me that have worked on both his frame and Magnums frame. What I have learned, is if you want something to put on a car that is mainly made for racing, Magnum force is the way to go, but if you are looking for durability/strength that can take the beating of driving on the street, AlterKtion is the best way to go. Several of the shops here have taken in cars that had the magnum force k frame that needed to have serious fabrication work done to add strength, because the frame would bend or break after allot of street driving.

Unfortunately, Alterktion doesn't have a frame available that will fit a B body with a HEMI and aftermarket oil pump(Milodon). Motor mount issues are the problem. Bill is still trying to solve this problem. So for now I will stay with the stock k member and steering assembly.

The cost for the package, once you take care of breaks, lines, etc. you will be pushing $4,500 +... But talk to Bill if your interested for price clarification for your application.

Hope this is of some help,

Offline onebadhemi

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005 - 07:28:14 AM »
Well after owning 3 different K's I will say that the Alterkation is the best out there as of now!
Bill Reilly is top notch on "customer service" and a no rush to buy his product kind of guy. I have spent alot of time on the phone with him also and he always returns your calls............. not like others I have dealt with. :banghead:

The complete Alterkation system with Wilwood brakes, and a new master cylinder shipped to my door was $3400.00
But, there has been a price increase of a $100.00 since I purchased mine.

Dave

1970 R/T Challenger
1971 Pro street"HEMI" Challenger
2003 V-10 Ram 2500 Q/C
2006 Charger R/T

Offline hemi6t8

• 1968 Blown 528 HEMI Charger
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005 - 12:40:09 PM »
Nice setup Dave... ;D

How does it handle/feel?

Do you use a sway bar as well?

What motor are you running in the car, a HEMI?

Do you use motor mounts or just plates?

Thanks,

Vance

Offline onebadhemi

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005 - 01:29:37 PM »
Nice setup Dave... ;D

How does it handle/feel?

Do you use a sway bar as well?

What motor are you running in the car, a HEMI?

Do you use motor mounts or just plates?

Thanks,

Vance

Thanks.....Vance. :wave:

I have not driven mine with the Alterkation yet but, my buddys challenger has one and it is awsome! :worship:

No sway bar for me but, I have seen them on a couple cars.

I will be building a 572" KB Hemi next winter for it........I have to build my new shop this summer so, the car will be on hold for a little bite.

I will be using a motorplate and midplate in my car.

Dave

1970 R/T Challenger
1971 Pro street"HEMI" Challenger
2003 V-10 Ram 2500 Q/C
2006 Charger R/T

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005 - 11:52:06 AM »
Dave,

How hard was it to install?  In your buddy's opinion,  was it worth the cash?   How hard is it to take back to original? do you have to hack anything up on the car?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005 - 12:19:51 PM »
IS the spindle used the factory Mopar one or is the spindle  new casting & if so what is the quality like ??

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005 - 12:08:50 AM »
IS the spindle used the factory Mopar one or is the spindle  new casting & if so what is the quality like ??

New and top notch.  Received mine a month ago, but a long ways before installing it.

If you have the coin, I recommend everyone getting one.  Looks super easy to install; completely bolt-on and no torsion bars to screw with!
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005 - 03:48:36 PM »
Hi,
  I'm curious and unimformed, what is the $3400.00 advantage to going with the Alter-K-tion
set up versus the original K reinforced like Firm Feel does and their Firm Feel tightened up steering
boxes for under $1K? Is the rack and pinion and coil-over spring set-up worth that kind of coin? Or
like I suspect, I'm missing something? :dontknow:   Jeff
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005 - 07:50:06 PM »
Hi,
  I'm curious and unimformed, what is the $3400.00 advantage to going with the Alter-K-tion
set up versus the original K reinforced like Firm Feel does and their Firm Feel tightened up steering
boxes for under $1K? Is the rack and pinion and coil-over spring set-up worth that kind of coin? Or
like I suspect, I'm missing something? :dontknow:   Jeff

Add up the costs of a completely overhauled stock suspension,including:

-torsion bars
-steering box
-tie rod ends
-sway bar
-ball joints
-control arm bushings
-idler/pitman arms
-center link

You're talking close to $1500.

So what does another $1900 cost you?

Lighter weight, better road feel, header clearances, oil pan clearances, more choices for brakes, and wow factor by joining the 21st century.
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005 - 07:47:35 PM »
Thanks Ragtopchally for the reply. Header clearance is really the only benie I can see for a legally(or
reasonably close to it) street driven car. Autocross type driving might make better use of Alter-K's
attributes. I wasn't aware of oil pan clearance problems with the factory K with "factory type" steering
components, but I haven't researched that issue much I must admit. It sounds nice but at that
price I think I'll be stuck in the 20th century for quite some time to come!! Good luck with you're
install and please let us know how it handles with that set up. :thumbs:  Jeff
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline CFster

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005 - 05:23:10 AM »

They're Mustang II spindles.

Offline CFster

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005 - 05:24:58 AM »
Here's an earlier post about the AlterKtion:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/smf/index.php?topic=10347.0