Author Topic: thrust bearing questionI  (Read 1192 times)

Offline 70 RAG TOP

thrust bearing questionI
« on: June 09, 2010 - 01:52:56 AM »
I am in the process of putting my 383 back together and had a question about crankshaft end play.
The engine has been rebuilt by the machine shop and the guy installed the internals for me.  Just to be safe, I measured the crank end play and it measured .010.  The manual states that it should be between .002 and.007 with .010 being  the absolute maximum.  Did he put the wrong size thrust bearing in?  Is it possible that the next size of bearing up would be too tight of a tolerance?  I don't feel comfortable with my new engine starting out at the maximum value! (No room for wear).  Is this something to be worried about?  Should I talk to the guy at the shop about it?

Thanks
 :1zhelp:
Mike
Mike

Offline Roppa440

Re: thrust bearing questionI
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010 - 05:36:56 AM »
I found almost the same thing with my new Eagle 440 crank and Federal Mogul Competition Series main bearings.

I ended up with 8 thou end play which is more than I wanted but I figured it was way better than the 64 thou endplay I started with. :D
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010 - 05:45:58 AM »
Might be an issue if you have a stick.  :2cents:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010 - 10:38:23 PM »
this may be obvious, but the way I was taught to use a manual trans is DO NOT leave your foot on the clutch any time...traffic lights, etc.  In other words your in neutral at ALL traffic lights, only use clutch to engage and shift.
This method reduces the load time on the crank thrust bearing surface, release bearing, etc.  :2cents:
Phil

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010 - 10:17:35 AM »
basically there is only 1 brg so if the brg is worn you can replace it if not the crank is worn ,I doubt .010 will give you any issue , is it auto or std ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010 - 04:23:46 PM »
I also have heard of builders that lightly removed the sharp corner (chamfering) off one of the #3 bearing halves... Creating a small (like .010-.015") passage to the thrust surface so it gets pressurized oil to it.

Offline 70 RAG TOP

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010 - 10:29:35 PM »
My car is an automatic.  Also, it is not going to be raced.   Hopefully, everything will be ok.  Thanks for your replies.

Mike
Mike