Author Topic: is it worth it to go Hemi?  (Read 10107 times)

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
Re: is it worth it to go Hemi?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010 - 11:33:52 AM »
I dont know what your budget is but you could save a lot of money by doing what some of the other guys posted, keep your 440 freshen it up a bit, new rings, with a larger cam maybe some Stealth CNC heads and an Alum 6pk set up, with the 6pk setup your shaker conversion will be much easier as they make repo parts to make your shaker set up like the orig. 

Its your car man do what is going to make you happy, if you are always going to sit around and wish you had a hemi, then just get the money togeather and do it.

Don     
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010 - 11:36:32 AM »
the bottom line is the heads & valve train cost more then an entire stroker build ,so bang for the $ the 440 /512 is the way I would build it , the hemi is a huge investment for no significant gain in power if any at all

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010 - 12:37:59 PM »
The Cool and Wow factor is there with the Hemi and the 440 6 pack. Your car sounds pretty nice just the way it is.

Like the man at the Parts Counter says, "If you wanna to play, you gotta pay!"

For the Hemi conversion, you could buy a new car, pay down your mortgage, buy more investments, etc, etc.
For some that's a big deal, for others it's not.

If money is no object, do both the 383 and Hemi, and swap engines every couple years!

It's your car, enjoy whatever you decide and do.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010 - 02:40:40 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I'm not really concerned with power. I know, I'm only 33 and I seem like an old man already when it comes to making power. I guess since I got busted racing a few years back the speed doesnt seem as appealing to me any more. I dont get to the track much so i kinda feel like "what's the use?". So i just want a cool street car now.

Ill probably change my mind a few hundred times between now and the time ill have any cash anyhow.

I did talk to a friend and he suggests the best way to build a hemi is one piece at a time. YOu know like, buy heads one year, a few months later get the valve train. Maybe pick up some valve covers at Carlisle. It will take awhile but not as big a load on the bank account.

I have to admit a 6pack would be cool, how hard is it to keep the thing reliable?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline matt63

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010 - 03:30:05 PM »
I agree that adding some wow factor by going to a 6 pack set-up is okay.  A nice EFI set-up is pretty cool too.  It adds to driveability too.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010 - 04:34:54 PM »
I agree that adding some wow factor by going to a 6 pack set-up is okay.  A nice EFI set-up is pretty cool too.  It adds to driveability too.

on EFI.. the FAST EZ EFI system is very attractive. Everything you need under $2K, and it hides under an aircleaner
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010 - 08:41:39 PM »
it all realy depends on what you like and can aford to do its your car and you will have to drive it,so do what you want :bigshades:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010 - 08:56:08 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I'm not really concerned with power. I know, I'm only 33 and I seem like an old man already when it comes to making power. I guess since I got busted racing a few years back the speed doesnt seem as appealing to me any more. I dont get to the track much so i kinda feel like "what's the use?". So i just want a cool street car now.

Ill probably change my mind a few hundred times between now and the time ill have any cash anyhow.

I did talk to a friend and he suggests the best way to build a hemi is one piece at a time. YOu know like, buy heads one year, a few months later get the valve train. Maybe pick up some valve covers at Carlisle. It will take awhile but not as big a load on the bank account.

That's how I did mine. It's been 20 grand later to do it. But I went complete stock look down to the bolt. Of course you may not care about it being stock looking. But I like em that way.

It costs way more to do it if you want it to look original. In July I'll paint it and put it all together.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010 - 09:04:41 PM »
 For wow factor you need neither a hemi or 6-pack, get creative. Pete

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010 - 09:25:04 PM »
If power is not a concern for you then I'm all for having the same power plant the car was supposed to come with. I know I can make tons more power with a 440 or a Hemi but I think its kinda neat to tell people that my car is small block after I make an 11 second pass. But then again I'm kinda weird that way. I say go with your gut feeling!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010 - 12:34:25 AM »
I myself am a small block kind of guy but would love to own a hemi. It to me is what you can afford and what makes you happy its your car but to me a hemi is a money pit. A nice 440 stroker would make good power for a fraction of the price  my :2cents:   
Dennis,Ohio

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010 - 02:06:28 AM »
the 6 pack is very reliable once it is set up correctly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010 - 07:34:02 AM »
the 6 pack is very reliable once it is set up correctly

We all know CP has no troubles tuning any motor, he gets them running smooth and purrrrrrrrrfect.  I have had no problems with my six pack and I vertually know nothing about tuning and tweeking comparred to most people here. Mine is set way rich (it seems) and I'm sure rejetting would help also both in running and power. But I don't have it to worry about gas consumption whenever I do drive it. And with the 3" Flowmaster 40's it sounds great, especially with the headers opened  :dogpile:  Sorry for going on, but that set up just makes me smile just thinking about it, She is my toy, my lil boy toy.   :2thumbs:  I'm wondering and anxiously awaiting to hear the Dart's 440 dual quad fire off......................  oh my, this hobby is so much fun.  :bananasmi  It will keep ya young,................. poor, but young.  :roflsmiley:  :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010 - 10:07:51 AM »
I like 'em both, but as a long time Hemi owner, I have developed a love of those big ole awkward heads....    :grinyes:  The BEAST is my 9th Hemi car.  They have been anywhere from box stock to built strokers.  They each have their place.  Right now I am diggin' the big sound and big power the BEAST makes.  Who knows, a year from now I might not own the BEAST and will have a big block of some sort.  Time will tell....    :bigsmile:   

HEMI'S ROCK!    :burnout:    :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010 - 07:29:33 AM »
ok so I think i'm going to go the budget route and use a 383 but stuff either a 440source 438 or 496 kit in it.

Give it a stock sleeper look with steel wheels.