Author Topic: Seat Track backwards?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Seat Track backwards?
« on: June 21, 2010 - 12:28:33 PM »
Took out my seats to have them re-covered.  Now the drivers seat feels like it leans to the middle.  The one of the rails has a taper...should the thick end be to the front or rear?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Seat Track backwards?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010 - 05:40:30 PM »
mine feel thinker at the rear.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010 - 06:59:23 PM »
I just looked at my six-way seat bracket. I can't tell any difference from each side...

I guess once again I am as useless as wet toilet paper.    :bricks1:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010 - 06:28:10 PM »
Only way to get them on backwards is to put the driver's side on the pass side. If so, when you lide the seat adjuster, the seat spring will pull you backwards instead of forward.

Whe the covers get put on, they could be pulled more towards one side making the seat look like it is leaning. When someone is doing their seats, I tell them to look at the seat while standing in front of the car before putting all of the hog rings on.  Mine looked perfect when I did mine on the ground. When I put them in, I noticed they were leaning towards one side. Funny that you didn't notice that when you saw my car.  If you did your seats yourself, you would have noticed it right away.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010 - 12:54:56 AM »
I'm talking about the slider against the driveshaft tunnel...the side without the adjuster.  That side has a noticeable taper in height, maybe as much as an inch...  Should the taller part be to the front or rear of the car?  Also, the driver's and passenger's ones are exactly the same...do I have the wrong ones?  The seats had been out to be redone once before...maybe they put in the wrong stuff?  :dunno:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010 - 08:09:40 AM »
I think that if you had the wrong side on, the release lever won't be facing towards the inside and the seat will "rock" when you try to install it.

did someone replace the full floor or just a section?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010 - 08:45:46 AM »
All original flooring...something's missing here.  Is this what my seat tracks should look like?

If so, it explains the confusion...I've got the wrong tracks.  :swear:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010 - 09:37:29 AM »
That's what mine look like.  Some of mine also have a strap that holds the center of the cross wire to keep it taught. Sort of like the rod pulling on your parking brake cable.  Hooks to the edge of the seat.

See, you are throwing a wrench in the question when you didn't have all original stuff to begin with. It sounded like everything was fine, you took out your seats to recover them, then they didn't sit right afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010 - 09:46:39 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010 - 09:47:39 AM »
See, you are throwing a wrench in the question when you didn't have all original stuff to begin with.
How would I have known?  :bigsmile:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010 - 09:52:58 AM »
How would I have known?  :bigsmile:

Did someone do your seats for you and switch them by accident?   A friend of mine has piles of seat tracks. I'm asking him to bring e-body ones, but he says that they all look similar and that I have to bring one of my old ones over to his pile, to find the right one.
Rob

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010 - 02:31:38 PM »
The guy I bought my car from had several Mopars, all of which he used as parts vehicles.

The seat covers were not original and had been redone at some prior point...heck, they're in Wages car now.

I have no idea what/where, other than the fact that it's all getting fixed as I go through the car.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010 - 09:18:05 PM »
When I look at my seats thru the rear window, they lean inward also.  The seat rail against the tunnel has the wider U portion of the rail toward the front of each seat. I think that the driver and passenger seat rails might be swapped.  I am going to swap them tomorrow if I can figure out how to get it all apart.

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010 - 12:25:53 PM »
I took out the seats and swapped the inner rails.  The outers were correct as they can go in only one way and have the springs work correctly.  I reversed the sides on the two inner rails (closest to the tunnel) so that the wider part of the rail is now to the rear.  It did not make much of a difference and the inward lean was still noticeable.  So, I took them out and put 3 large (thick) washers under each of the front rails before I re-bolted the rails to the seats.  I then put a 3/4 inch tall black furniture rubber over the rear bolts that go thru the floorboard.  I could have used a stack of thick washers here but I had these cylindrical furniture rubbers that I think are used at the bottom of a leg and they were just the right height.  When I bolted the seats in, they were perfectly positioned without any noticeable lean. Because of the carpet, you don't even see the rubber cylinders.  I'd recommend leaving your rails where they are and just do what I did to fix the problem as removing the rails completely is a real pain and if those little ball bearings and roller bushing fall out (like mine did) they are a pain to get back in too.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010 - 01:39:40 PM »
Just installed my drivers side seat last weekend and I also noticed the taper on the inner slide. If I recall right I installed them so that the taller part of the slide was on the rear. I also installed 1/2" inch spacers on the front studs because I'm kinda tall and I have heard that it helps. I didn't have any lean to middle problems, but if the middle slide would have been wrong way it would have definately leaned to the middle. I'll check my camera if I have a pic available.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)