Author Topic: MY CARS ARE FINALLY HERE....BUT..ahh HELP !!  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Talkwrench

• Perth, Western Australia
Re: MY CARS ARE FINALLY HERE....BUT..ahh HELP !!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010 - 08:42:34 PM »
I will try changing the sparkplugs using new NGK's and try set the timing. I had a look at no.1 sparkplug and it looked ok but was gaped at .075 ?

I still cant seen to find any marks or pointer on my engine..

Where can I find another dipstick tube? Dave anywhere in Australia? I'll have to pull the alt out and get a good look at it I'll get the small section out of the block and push a new dipstick tube in by the looks of it.

Its been pissing water out aswell while standing, Think it might be coming from the water pump.. Anyone know where to get one of these easy?

Ahh it just goes on... :faint:

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010 - 09:00:35 AM »
I don't know of any suppliers in West Australia, Repco would be one supplier and of course Chrysler themselves. If pointer is missing bring No. 1 up to TDC and fit your own off the mark on the harmonic balancer.
Dave

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010 - 10:57:36 AM »
Is the timing cover polished?  Pretty unusual for the marks to be obliterated...Can you post a pic of your damper/cover?  If it's a factory piece, Mopar makes timing tape that can be added.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010 - 08:40:54 PM »
I"ll go out tonight and have a good look at the timing cover. It isn't polished. I'll take a photo if I have to. Is there any trick to knowing when its at TDC without the rocker covers off?
I had a chat to a workshop that deals with MOPARS [lucky I discovered a friends brother works there]   the guy there said they just make the dipstick tube out of 5/16 bundy tube. Getting the broken piece out might be difficult he said it sits about 1'' in the block  :clueless:  I'll try as you said Dave.. now if I could just find my extractor set .. :eek7:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010 - 12:34:41 AM »
I suppose later 360's are the same as 340's ... look down the driver side at the timing chain cover right next to the harmonic balancer....  There should be a single line cut in the balancer at TDC.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010 - 08:03:52 AM »
Bullitt found it plain as day.. :biggrin: just not looking hard enough.. doh! There seems to be several plain marks across the balancer[?] did I miss one that was more obvious as TDC? When you said mark 2 1/4" from TDC which way was it to right or left looking at it?

Think I might pull all the plugs and check the gaps .. why no 1 was .075 I'll never know if they are supposed to be .040...?

I'm discovering lots of little things like the small block off plug on the carby was stuffed and cracked would have been sucking air for sure no wonder it developed a lumpy idle.. 

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010 - 08:31:39 AM »
Bullitt found it plain as day.. :biggrin: just not looking hard enough.. doh! There seems to be several plain marks across the balancer[?] did I miss one that was more obvious as TDC? When you said mark 2 1/4" from TDC which way was it to right or left looking at it?

Think I might pull all the plugs and check the gaps .. why no 1 was .075 I'll never know if they are supposed to be .040...?

I'm discovering lots of little things like the small block off plug on the carby was stuffed and cracked would have been sucking air for sure no wonder it developed a lumpy idle.. 
Do you know what type of distributor you have? Are you using "inch" or "metric" feeler guages, I had an apprentice who gapped some plugs with a metric feeler guage and the car surged badly, the gaps were about .010" instead of .040". It can happen.
The tape should go on the right side of TDC looking down at the harmonic balancer.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010 - 10:59:04 AM »
there were 2 covers for the small block , one with the timing scale on the left & one on the right , if you have a damper designed to show the scale on the right side with that cover there will be no mark @ TDC

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010 - 10:13:37 PM »
Chryco, mine is as per the pic , right side. So how do you time it without the marks on at TDC on the balancer?

Dave the dizzy is the standard electronic one as far as I know. My gauge is both Metric and inch Im sure I didnt get it wrong .. I'll be honest and tell you if i've stuffed up tonight. :dunno:

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010 - 07:06:05 AM »
I posted this yesterday but it appears to have disappeared, so here goes again.
Remove No. 1 spark plug and turn motor over either by hand or with a socket & bar in clockwise direction, place a small screw driver or piece of wire in plug hole and when it is at its highest that is TDC, may be better if a second person helps, this will get you close. It doesn't matter whether it is compression or exhausting stroke, then mark a line opposite the heavy or "0", this should be TDC. Replace spark plug and start motor, the harmonic balancer mark should be visible so you can then adjust to min. 10* BTDC, this will mean that the harmonic balancer mark moves backwards towards the left. If you get hold of tape that goes on the harmonic balancer and is placed to the right of the mark.
As Chryco said there is 2 different covers that means 2 different balancers, you might have a miss match between the 2 or the outer ring on the harmonic balancer has slipped.
There is a positive way of making exactly sure of getting TDC but is a bit more involved, the above is close, email me if you want any more details.   :cheers:
Dave

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010 - 09:39:51 AM »
Geez the good ol' fashion way Dave, well I geuess thats ballpark and if it doesn't matter what the stroke is still can't believe theres not a mark on the balancer for TDC. Oh and yes I made the mistake the plugs were pretty close to. 040"  :banghead:

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010 - 10:01:54 AM »
Geez the good ol' fashion way Dave, well I geuess thats ballpark and if it doesn't matter what the stroke is still can't believe theres not a mark on the balancer for TDC. Oh and yes I made the mistake the plugs were pretty close to. 040"  :banghead:
Yeah I found that one out the hard way when the apprentice used the wrong feeler guages, you tend not to forget in a hurry.   :cheers:
Dave