Author Topic: Radiator Pressure  (Read 2211 times)

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
Radiator Pressure
« on: June 27, 2010 - 09:56:51 PM »
 :clueless:  What would cause the cooling system not to build pressure at the radiator cap?  The cap is good ( I have 3 caps that all do the same thing) but there is no pressure on the system.  I have no coolant leaks that I know of, and the antifreeze level is not going low.  I changed the heater hoses and did a coolant flush 2 weeks ago.  I am not over heating, the temp gauge is reading 190-195 while driving and around 210 if stuck in traffic.

The top radiator hose should be hard with pressure after driving and mine isn't.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Radiator Pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010 - 02:37:01 AM »
is the neck of the rad damaged so the cap cannot properly seal up

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010 - 04:34:32 AM »
is the neck of the rad damaged so the cap cannot properly seal up

No, the neck is in great shape.  I checked the dip stick for any signs of coolant leakage mixed in the oil and saw none
-Larry
member since AUG 2007

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010 - 10:37:28 AM »
There are 2 commonly avaiable types of caps.  The difference is, in the center of the part that goes into the radiator, there is a metal disc.  If the disc flops around, it is for a car with the coolant recovery tank.  If you don't have the tank you need the other type (should be tight against the rubber seal.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline solarguy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010 - 02:56:10 PM »
My upper rad hose doesn't stay hard the whole time car is running  either.  I thought it was normal.  My coolant level is about 1 1/2 inches below top of filler, which gives plenty of room for expansion.  Under normal crusing around in the heat in S Florida, runs normal range on temp guage , no pinging.  If I beat on the car in the heat of the day, I can make temp guage rise and then rad hose if firm.  My thermostat is new and tested good before install.  With the cap off and engine running, I see slight movement of coolant but not a huge "current",  again which I think is normal.  Are you showing any signs of overheating?  Engine ping under load?  I'd like to hear the consensus on this. 

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010 - 05:13:42 PM »
My upper hose (all my cars, new and old) gets tight with just a few minutes of driving, never even come close to overheating.

Offline mrob

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010 - 11:09:14 AM »
I think Changin Gears is right. Take a look at the pic in the link. Disregard the fact that the pic shows a billet radiator cap. See the metal disc in the center of the rubber seal?(that seats against the radiator cap neck) If that metal disc is loose (moves around freely), there's no way that pressure will build up in the cooling system. The pressure just bleeds off through the overflow hose. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLET-CHROME-RADIATOR-CAP-CHEVY-GM-FORD-MOPAR-DODGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518f72d2fcQQitemZ350299017980QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

On an open cooling system, that disc must seat against the rubber seal below it with some spring pressure.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010 - 04:53:33 AM »
There are 2 commonly avaiable types of caps.  The difference is, in the center of the part that goes into the radiator, there is a metal disc.  If the disc flops around, it is for a car with the coolant recovery tank.  If you don't have the tank you need the other type (should be tight against the rubber seal.

:faint:  My cap has the floppy center disk, so I guess it's wrong for my cooling system.  I do not have a coolant recovery tank.  Thanks! 
              Will the temperature read any lower once I get the correct cap and the system becomes pressurized?
-Larry
member since AUG 2007

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010 - 07:56:45 AM »

Will the temperature read any lower once I get the correct cap and the system becomes pressurized?

Yes.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010 - 08:17:15 AM »
This is the kind of fix I like, $5 at Walmart, not having to pulling the heads.

I wouldn't worry about 210 stuck in summer traffic.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010 - 10:41:48 AM »
its funny, mine never builds up pressure either. Gets hot pretty quick and has anew cap.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010 - 11:37:09 AM »
funny thing is this is a common problem --> people blame it on the thermostat being stuck open and replace it to find out the cap is leaking into the reservoir .
the cooling system cools under pressure to keep the engine from building steam . yes the engine should run cooler if other problems done exist.
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline solarguy

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010 - 01:30:06 PM »
hooD,

Did the differnt style cap solve the problem?  If so, please post part number so I can see the differnce from mine.  Thanks

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010 - 05:29:45 AM »
hooD,

Did the differnt style cap solve the problem?  If so, please post part number so I can see the differnce from mine.  Thanks

Hello Garrett,
I bought a $5 radiator cap from O'Reilly's and it worked.  I have pressure on the cooling system again.  And guess what... this cap is the same design as all the other caps.  It has the small metal button on the end.

Murray Caps & Stats - Standard Radiator Cap
Part Number: 7616

* 16 Lbs.
    * UPC: 799304076162
-Larry
member since AUG 2007

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

Offline solarguy

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010 - 08:35:48 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up,  :cheers:  glad you got it fixed.       My cap must be tired too.  I'm just curious though, does that little disk on the bottom hang loose or is it tight, vented cap or non-vented.  Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 - 08:44:59 AM by solarguy »