Author Topic: SON OF A B*&^$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3966 times)

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

• U. S. Navy: Interior Communications Electrician
SON OF A B*&^$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 30, 2010 - 12:28:24 AM »
I just got done replacing my oil pan gasket and my inner/outer tie rod ends :biggrin:. I got everything buttoned up and tried to start it. It ran for a bit, then sputtered and died ???. I called my mechanic, he said to verify spark and fuel. Did that, no fuel :eek7:. Checked the tank, plenty of fuel in it (added more anyway). I looked at the gas cap, no gasket (all that expensive fuel's probably been evaporating away) :(. Got a new gas cap, one of those push in locking types. Turned it over and the Chally roared to life 8). I let it warm up a bit and get all that fresh oil sloshed around. I decided to go for a short, low rev drive. I got about 2 miles from the house and the car sputtered and died in the middle of a busy road :stomp:. Looked under the hood, no leaks, checked spark again (MSD still putting out plenty of spark). Engine turns over, will not start :screwy:. I let it cool off, tried again, no such luck. (It runs really hot anyways, I wonder if the thermostat is stuck open.) Had to call a wrecker to get the poor Chally back to the barn :swear:. Haven't gotten to check for fuel again yet, I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Why? I didn't touch anything other than the oil pan, steering linkage, oil filter and the coil wire. I wonder if my electric choke is either broken or disconnected.

Either way, I need some help :banghead:.

Thanks guys.
-Aaron-
Bozeman, MT, USA (and wherever the Navy takes me)

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Rigid industries off road lights, Rough Country 4" suspension lift, CB radio... still working on it.
Fellow Service Members and Veterans, join me on www.togetherweserved.com, JK owners at www.jkowners.com, and Hemi Truck owners (and former owners) on www.hemitruckclub.com.
Former wheels: 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 Rallye, 2003 Hemi Ram 1500, 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.
Future projects in the garage: Streetable .030 over 383, 1977 Chevy Custom 20 SC/LB.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: SON OF A B*&^$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010 - 12:32:55 AM »
Hate when that happens.  You need to do some testing and see what you have and what you don't.   :popcorn:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010 - 12:46:18 AM »
  I'd be checking that good clean & plentiful fuel is getting to the carb. if so then the carb. would be suspect, even then a little splash of fuel down the throat should get a brief start up.   
  Even with a non functional choke a warm engine will fire up unless it's failed closed, easy to see.
  Thermostat suck closed would cause serious overheating, you can see water start to move in the radiator with the cap off after enough heat builds up.   
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010 - 02:41:53 AM »
I had a bad gas cap and was getting water in my tank.  That caused me all sorts of problems.  Has it rained lately?

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010 - 10:33:27 AM »
Have you checked the fuel line between the fuel pump & the chassis rail, when you jacked up the motor to remove the sump you might have squashed or bent a fuel line.   :2cents:
Dave

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010 - 07:17:53 PM »
The car is kept in the garage, we have had a lot of rain lately ;). The car was in the garage on jack stands though. Even when it rains here, it doesn't get humid.

When I jacked the car up, I used the K member, front suspension and the rear axle so I would have no chance of crushed fuel lines :-\. I didn't move or adjust the engine in any way. I removed the steering linkage instead, since it needed work anyways.

The gas cap is a push-in locking type and is brand new :eek7:.

One of the guys at work suggested vapor lock as the culprit :thinkerg:.

Since I didn't have any tools with me when the car died and a nasty storm brewing over head, I had to have it towed home on a flat bed. It only cost me $56. At least that wasn't bad :hyper:.

Good thing I got it in the garage when I did, we had a severe thunder storm come through last night and we just got hit with quarter and ping-pong ball sized hail :scared:. I'll post some  :picture: in the general topics section :smokin:.

:wow:
-Aaron-

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Rigid industries off road lights, Rough Country 4" suspension lift, CB radio... still working on it.
Fellow Service Members and Veterans, join me on www.togetherweserved.com, JK owners at www.jkowners.com, and Hemi Truck owners (and former owners) on www.hemitruckclub.com.
Former wheels: 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 Rallye, 2003 Hemi Ram 1500, 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.
Future projects in the garage: Streetable .030 over 383, 1977 Chevy Custom 20 SC/LB.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010 - 07:47:13 PM »
YeP  :grinyes:   She's a girl fo sho.    I can so relate to your situation. :roflsmiley: Hmmmmm.   see what you can find out. R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010 - 07:28:46 AM »
I would leave the fuel cap off when it is not raining, prime the carby and go for another run after perhaps running in workshop for a few mins. with the engine running above idle. Take a small can og gas with you so you can re prime carby if necessary.   :working:
Dave

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010 - 01:37:31 PM »
I would leave the fuel cap off when it is not raining, prime the carby and go for another run after perhaps running in workshop for a few mins. with the engine running above idle. Take a small can og gas with you so you can re prime carby if necessary.   :working:
:iagree: You may have a venting problem with the gas tank and that new cap,causing a vacuum to build up in the tank.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010 - 02:28:33 PM »
:iagree: You may have a venting problem with the gas tank and that new cap,causing a vacuum to build up in the tank.

I had to cut a hole in the gasket on my new locking type cap to keep it from pulling a vacuum in the tank. Car would run great for 5-10 minutes then just die, no fuel. The cap had a vent, but the gasket would cover it when the cap was in place.

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010 - 05:27:41 PM »
YeP  :grinyes:   She's a girl fo sho.    I can so relate to your situation. :roflsmiley: Hmmmmm.   see what you can find out. R/T

Very True!!!!!!! :smilielol:

Yes! I pulled the cap off and WHOOSH, the air rushed in. :cheers:

I had to cut a hole in the gasket on my new locking type cap to keep it from pulling a vacuum in the tank. Car would run great for 5-10 minutes then just die, no fuel. The cap had a vent, but the gasket would cover it when the cap was in place.

That's exactly what happened :thumbsup:. I cut two holes in the new cap gasket, enough to let some air in.

Primed the carb and the old girl roared to life (conducted 4 times) :woohoo:. She didn't stay running long enough to suck any fuel on her own though :banghead:.

Took out the fuel filter near the engine, it's clear, no blockage at all.

Someone mentioned putting a super magnet in the tank to collect some of the rust and magnetic debris. I'll have to try that.

I haven't been able to check the in tank filter. With how much of the car is original, it wouldn't surprise me if it's clogged with rust.

Has anyone tried that gas tank rust inhibitor? How well does it work? How much is it? Which one is the best?

With that old cap, I wonder how much fuel has evaporated in the last 5/6 weeks since I last ran the car. It was getting close to empty after the last time I drove it. 118 miles on the trip, it usually only goes 138-142 on a tank because of how rich it runs and the way we drive it.

Could the mechanical fuel pump be bad? It doesn't look like it's been replaced in a long time, it may even be an original piece.
-Aaron-

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010 - 07:44:51 PM »
Fuel pumps are cheap and quick.   Also...   I had to drill a small hole in my cap.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010 - 01:59:56 AM »
Could the mechanical fuel pump be bad? It doesn't look like it's been replaced in a long time, it may even be an original piece.

Yes, it could very easily be bad. Easiest way to check is to put an inline fuel pressure gauge into the line between the fuel pump and the carb. I run one on mine. Typically you should have between 5-7 PSI. More than 7 and you'll flood the carb, too much less than 5 and you'll end up starving. If you've got less then 4 PSI at idle when its warm your fuel pump is worn out.

Also, a weak fuel pump can add to vaporlock issues. I hate to mention it because vaporlock is blamed a lot more often than it should be. Its actually pretty darn hard to boil moving pressurized fuel (think about boiling water in a river). But if its not pressurized as it should be, it gets easier fast. 

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010 - 10:05:36 PM »
Something else to check is your fuel pump push rod.  If it's worn it will not pump enough fuel after it gets warm.  Had this happen on my Charger, replaced the push rod and it never ran out of fuel again.  FYI
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010 - 01:38:53 AM »
 :woohoo: :woo: ;D :smokin: 8) :lol2: :lol: :rofl: :grinyes: :thumbsup: :biggrin: :ylsuper: :bananasmi :dogpile: :wave: :drunk: :cheers: :drool: :bigshades: :burnout: :droolingbounce: :swaying: :jumping: :crazy: :money: :cooldancing: :clapping: :roflsmiley: :bigsmile: :smilielol: :2thumbs:

In the words of Stimpy "Happy happy joy joy"!!!!! My car, she lives! I replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an inline Carter electric pump, put in a fuel pump block off plate, retired a few old fuel lines and added in some fresh fuel. I let the pump run for a couple seconds to suck in the fresh fuel and pressurize the system. The car fired right up!

No more pumping, no more flooded engine, no more fuss.

The old girl fires right up and doesn't stutter at intersections.

Thanks for the help guys! I can't wait for the day when I don't have to fix minor or major issues every month. My next car will go much smoother with the experience I've gained from this project and the help from you guys.

Thanks again! :working:
-Aaron-