napa part number for flip top? anyone?

Author Topic: napa part number for flip top? anyone?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline challydust

napa part number for flip top? anyone?
« on: July 02, 2010 - 09:44:30 AM »
just purchased a pg classics flip top...great quality!...I guess i got two questions lol....first one...anyone have the part number  from napa that i give them for the underneath twist on cap ill need...there having trouble lookin one up???...chivvys guys!!!! ::)........second ?.....how are u suppose to lock down the trim ring that sets behind the cap....bend it? screw it down......i only have one oblong hole in the ring where i guess u could run a screw down through...but id have to drill my car??....anyone advice on here appreciated!...thanks guys

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: napa part number for flip top? anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010 - 10:00:21 AM »
the notch in the ring lines up with the cap, the ring is held in place by the 4 screw holes that go through the cap sandwiched between the car and the cap frame after its screwed down.

Cant help you with the cap I have the factory locking one.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline challydust

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010 - 10:04:12 AM »
Okay thanks...do u have a pg classic repop?....unless i dont have the outerring in the right place...i could only see it fitting one way....now the actual  cap fits and alighns perfect with the factory screw holes but the trim ring is sandwiched but its moving around, not secure...prob rattle goin down the road....i look again when i get home but im pretty sure the ring doesnt line up with the actual mounting holes...ill get back with this...thanks

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010 - 10:11:28 AM »
do you have a new quarter on your car? some of the new ones are not as deep as the factory ones.

there are no screw holes on the ring just 4 bent tabs sorry if I miss lead you on that part.

some people have ground down the mounting base a little to tighten it up.

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline challydust

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010 - 10:20:17 AM »
ooookay.....yeah i have the tabs and they have lil creases in them where it looks like u could bend that part...i just didnt want to and bend the ring...it fits perfect, everything....its just that the ring is jiggling around..not fastened to anything....im pretty sure   my quarters are original....since ive owned the car since 95 and i can see the leaded seam (before the black top added)....im not sure if they had replacement quarters for challys that where that high up were the fact seem originally was????   do u know what the lil oblong slot is for on the ring though??  so ur telling me i have to bend them tab dwonward then?   trhanks alot for the info

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010 - 10:55:06 AM »
The factory ring has 4 mounting tabs that were held down by the 4 screws that hold the gas cap down. They also had a dent for the flip handle to depress against. If you have the new ring without mounting tabs, you may have to silicone it on the inside. it shouldn't rotate after that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010 - 11:50:51 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline challydust

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010 - 11:29:59 AM »
yeah i dont have any holes whatsever in the trim ring  except one slotted small hole...have no idea what it is for......wow silicone huh...nice....not what i wanted.to do...so much for the factory fit huh...lol....so hard trying to make a decision without lookin at em or buying 3 diff ones then pickin the best one.....had several comments about pg on here thats why i went that way.....but now im wondering

Offline whitsend

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010 - 11:47:28 AM »
I have a 71 Vert with the original (rusty) quarter and the flip top gas cap. I can send you a pick later if that will help? Let me know.

:cheers:

Whitsend

Offline challydust

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010 - 12:20:09 PM »
yes thank u....any help is appreciated , i bleive im learning that the popoff caps just arent the same as original....funny thing is...when u turn the cap upside down..u can see the penastar on the inside..but pg or whomever scratched it out???...strange......please send the pics..would be great for a comparison

Offline whitsend

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010 - 07:37:49 PM »
I am not sure I can answer all the questions you have as I believe my inner cap is an aftermarket. I did get some good pics for you though. Sent you a PM for your email address as I cannot load them here.  :2thumbs:

Whitsend

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010 - 07:46:58 PM »
I bent the tabs on my inner ring, fits perfect.  I haven't been able to get a replacement cap that fit yet.  I have an old gas cap that fits but is old.LOL

Tom

Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline challydust

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010 - 10:41:19 AM »
i geuss i can try to bed the tabs...there are no scews holes in the ring..and thats what some folks are telling me to do...but u can run the screws the ring if there no holes...maybe therey making there own??   pg didnt say anything about haveing to drill there product......does any one know what the one slotted lil hole is for anyway???........i do have a napa part number for a gas cap if it could  help anyone...fits fine and doesnt interfer with the flip top...its..703-1035  hope this helps some one

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010 - 11:27:06 AM »
i geuss i can try to bed the tabs...there are no scews holes in the ring..and thats what some folks are telling me to do...but u can run the screws the ring if there no holes...maybe therey making there own??   pg didnt say anything about haveing to drill there product......does any one know what the one slotted lil hole is for anyway???........i do have a napa part number for a gas cap if it could  help anyone...fits fine and doesnt interfer with the flip top...its..703-1035  hope this helps some one

Is the cap locking?  I've been looking for a non-locking cap for the 71 (small slot) style forever with no luck.

Offline challydust

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010 - 11:32:05 AM »
no a twist off...its small and if u have  a lg hand like me its a lil bit tight...but it does work on my 73  used it this weekend...fine and dandy...it did take alot of caps to find one that works though   hope this helps u

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010 - 11:45:06 AM »
PM sent

Thx