Author Topic: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!  (Read 4636 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
« on: July 04, 2010 - 05:56:28 PM »
So here I am thinking I am all ready for carlisle aside from a wash and waxh and some cleaning inside a bit.

Not so fast.

Two issues....

1- started yesterday when I went to start her up cold.....turned igntion to start and all I heard was a click...like the battery was dead.   Turned it off and tried again and it started rightup. Happened again today when cold and then twice more once hot after we stopped for a bit. The last tow times it was a little different though....truned to start and there wasa pause for a second and then it cranked over fine.   Starter relay? Starter?  Igntion switch?   The first two are only a year or so old....the latter is the original.   A breakdown waiting to happen ya think or something to address after Carlisle?

2- Filled up with gas after adding my lead additive...went for a drive and parked on a hill, butt end facing down...veru hot and sunny day, black asphalt....came out an hour later and found this and a puddle of gas under the car (on my relatives brand new blacktop no less-now I have to fix THAT)--

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :22yikes:

The gas was seeping out of the filler neck.

Not sure whether I should try and fix it with my spray bombs now or wait until Carlisle, buy some organasol black if I can find it and spray the tail black when I get home.  Hate to take it to Carlisle like this.   :pullinghair:  It really hurt when I saw it.....I guess in reality it could be lots worse though.
It didnt run down the visible side of the valance.

Wondering if it was the gas that did this or the lead additive that did.

I have gotten gas in that area before 9in fact this last fillup I did) but never this issue.

My son and I joked that its like the fish is growing scales......

<sigh>
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010 - 05:59:21 PM by shadango »

Offline RB2929

Re: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010 - 07:52:22 PM »
Shandango-
First off, settle down.  All that yelling will frighten the children.  It frightened me looking at the subject line.
Deep breathes, you can do it. 
Gas on the hot top (black asphalt) will go away on its own.  Relax on that one.

The chewed up paint...Oh My God....OK, you can start yelling, again.
I can speak for all of CC.com by saying we are so sorry to that.

Any chance of removing and repainting before Carlisle?
WE ALL know how much time you've spent on working on the Cuda.
Sorry that this situation is there (that's PC for saying, I can't believe the paint bubbled up that like; that sucks beyond believe.  WTF!!! Why can't working on a F'Cuda ever go correctly!?) :banghead: :banghead:

Our hearts are out to you :cheers:
Ron

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010 - 08:03:14 PM »
That sucks really bad, i can't tell you how much fuel I've had on my paint...it's that lead additive that ate it. (why do you use it?)

I'd spray bomb it for the show.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010 - 08:49:06 PM »
Maybe you need a new filler necl grommet?? Sounds like the best candidate. Pretty easy to do and about $20. You could do it at Carlisle.

I would also spray bomb it, after its fixed.

As for the starting issue, I am leaning toward the nuetral safety switch on your trans. I hate them, I grounded my starter relay for a fix but now I don't have reverse lights. I don't mind, since it starts everytime. Or it could be the relay or starter, not sure which brands you bought last year.

{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010 - 08:50:07 PM »
I use the lead additive cause I really dont know what kind of valve seats are in the heads I have....so I figured better to be safe than sorry.     :banghead:

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010 - 08:52:01 PM »
Maybe you need a new filler necl grommet?? Sounds like the best candidate. Pretty easy to do and about $20. You could do it at Carlisle.

I would also spray bomb it, after its fixed.

As for the starting issue, I am leaning toward the nuetral safety switch on your trans. I hate them, I grounded my starter relay for a fix but now I don't have reverse lights. I don't mind, since it starts everytime. Or it could be the relay or starter, not sure which brands you bought last year.

The filler neck groomet sits way down below.....and its new...so pretty sure thats not it....gas was coming out from around the fuel cap.....so between the very full tank and the incline and the heat I guess it was just too much.   :pullinghair:

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010 - 09:05:01 PM »
Starting problem could be something as simple as a loose or corroded connection too.
Dave

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010 - 09:17:14 PM »
My vote's for poor connections at the battery posts, solenoid or starter. If you are hearing the 'click', your solenoid is energizing(which rules out the ign sw.), the power just isn't getting through all the connections to the starter windings. Make sure all the connections are tight and clean b4 going out to buy more parts.  :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010 - 09:24:12 PM »
I use the lead additive cause I really dont know what kind of valve seats are in the heads I have....so I figured better to be safe than sorry.     :banghead:

I don't know either  :lol2:, but I'm not too worried about it with my current engine.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010 - 10:37:53 PM »
Well, I want to be able to plan out an engine swap when it comes time for it....dont want to rush it.....

My guess is that the seats are probably hardened...but why risk it....I run a pint every couple tanks so its a dilution anyways.

Ironically I had read "Keep off of vehicle paint!" on the back of the container as I was adding it this last time......I figured "Ok, gotta be careful when pouring it in..."   Little did I know....   :bricks1:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010 - 08:50:24 AM »
I suppose then maybe a new fuel cap. That sucks. I don't think youd burn the seats up in a year or 2, think also that the last owner probably didnt add additive so its probably been driven 1000's of miles without already.....  :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010 - 09:37:50 AM »
I suppose then maybe a new fuel cap. That sucks. I don't think youd burn the seats up in a year or 2, think also that the last owner probably didnt add additive so its probably been driven 1000's of miles without already.....  :popcorn:

Wish I could FIND the damn new fuel cap.....maybe at Carlisle...but I have tried high and low to find one that fits...a locking one....guess I have a retarded filler neck...

The engine was built by "someone" prior to my getting it (not original).....it has j heads on it, so it had "stuff" done to it.....and its likely that the seats were changed.....but i dont know that.

I may re-evealuate my additive-adding.    Still, in dilution with 16 gal of gas, would that be string enough to peel the paint you think?

i am on my way out to the garage now to sit and ponder my next action.....

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010 - 10:14:25 AM »
The gas ate the paint. It will do that if it's soaked for awhile.And in one spot. I doubt it was just the additive.  I'd sand it out,Maybe a quick filler/primer.And rattle can the rear light panel black. But that's just me.     On the starting issue...  Gotta' check/clean all those connections. Then see wuts up.    That sux.   R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010 - 04:22:55 PM »
Well, I sanded and painted just the area in question.....the rattle cans I have arent a perfect match...but good enough for now I guess.  The one end of my repair really feathered in nice...the other side isnt as great but OK.  Still have to let it cure so I can buff it out....looks ok....not easy to notice unless you are looking......I suppose better than being all wrinkly.

I do think I want to go with black though....want to get just the right paint....will wait i do that when the weather turns to crap. Too much to do getting ready for carlisle.

I also realized that the task of finding a cap that fits properly would be a good idea....had tried last season and failed.....well, just tried again today....stant lists a locking cap that doesnt fit.....nor does their cap for a 70-71.....a non locking type.they dont have a nonlocking for 72-74.

The cap I have sort of works but doesnt....it screws partly on but isnt large enough to fit the outside of the filler tube.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thanks for listening guys.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010 - 06:30:04 PM by shadango »

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010 - 09:24:50 PM »
Did you get the starting issue sorted out? :popcorn:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.