Author Topic: Power Steering mount--440  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
Power Steering mount--440
« on: July 06, 2010 - 04:01:23 PM »
Okay...I have a '73 Challenger that some prior owner swapped to a 440.  Car was originally a 318 with AC, but, the AC was tossed on the swap so there is no compressor, or anything else remaining.

Car has not been driven since I picked it up several years ago.  This week end, I decided it was sorted out enough to see how it drove...(front end is shot so the answer was not well at all)

It chewed up the alternator belt and tossed it.  When I was looking at it, I realized that it did not look like the belts were routed correctly.

The alternator belt went straight from the front pulley on the crank to the front pulley on the alternator rather than including the water pump as the diagrams I have seen show.

The power steering belt looped the water pump and the power steering as well as the back pulley on the crank instead of directly crank to power steering as I have seen.

Two pulleys on crank and alternator, single fan and power steering.

Getting out a straight edge, it seems that the rear pulley on the alternator almost lines up with the fan pulley and the crank rear pulley...might need a bit of shimming to be spot on...but, the power steering pulley would appear to need to come forward toward the radiator a 1/4" or so to line up with the front pulley on the crank....it's currently closer to the rear pulley alignmentwise.

Now, I may be missing it, but I have not found a picture in the shop manuals for the ps mount for a rb engine...or anything else, nor have I found any decent pictures in any of my books that shows what the rb powersteering mount should look like.

Does anyone have a picture of the ps mount on a 440?  I would guess that whoever did the swap used the bracketry from  the 318 and that is the source of the misalignments.

Thanks

Offline 500Stroker

Re: Power Steering mount--440
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010 - 06:53:55 PM »
PS mount on my 73 with AC and a 440

The PS mount can be purchased here. 
http://bouchillonperformance.com/BPEPowerSteering.asp

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010 - 08:44:21 PM »
Other than I don't have AC, the front bracket looks somewhat similar...

What I notice on mine is that the pulley is solid faced with no slots and it has a convex side facing forward.  It would appear that if the pulley was reversed so that the convex side was facing the firewall, that would offset the groove in the pulley so that it would come close to lining up with the front pulley on the crank pulley.

Diagrams seem to suggest that the power steering belt does not go around the fan/water pump pulley but?

Looks like this pump  http://store.440source.com/Power-Steering-Pump-Saginaw-w_keyed-shaft/productinfo/138-1007/

and this pulley   http://store.440source.com/Power-Steering-Pulley-Late-Saginaw-Press-Fit-New/productinfo/132-1004/

and those two should not match up....guess I need to find out if this is a keyed pump and a pressed on pulley, or not
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010 - 09:04:47 PM by Strawdawg »

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010 - 11:44:14 PM »
I had a solid faced pulley and could not get it to work in my application even after it was flipped.  I bought the pulley you see from Bouchillon.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010 - 09:28:21 AM »
That site has helped me quite a bit.  thanks for providing the link.   :2thumbs:

It appears that the ps pulley is the major problem.   :)