Author Topic: Fuel Return Line  (Read 1131 times)

Offline boxfox

Fuel Return Line
« on: July 07, 2010 - 08:21:28 AM »
Alright so while I have been doing my fuel system replacement job, I have come across the question of do I need the fuel return line, apparently it seems it can help me save a of gas and if i hook back up the charcoal canister it can help reduce some of the fuel odor.

If I decide to put back on a fuel return line and a charcoal canister will that hurt my performance at all?
How does it all hook back up, the fuel return line runs from the vapor separator up to the charcoal canister and then to where?
I have also heard a suggestion to just run an in line filter to vent the vapors, where would be a best place to mount that, if its a good idea?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Fuel Return Line
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010 - 08:55:07 AM »
Charcoal canister does not hurt performance but you probably need to be running an OE carb. to connect.  This is not a fuel return line although it can be used for that with the canister & separator removed. 

See info here
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=61373.0

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline boxfox

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010 - 08:13:08 PM »
Alright, thank you Bullitt-

Offline boxfox

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010 - 02:39:25 PM »
Went all through that thread but I'm still wondering what an alternative to the charcoal canister would be, because I need to vent the gas tank in some way right?
I don't have a fuel return line at this point I took that off and will simply have the fuel line.

I still have the 4 tubes from the back of the gas tank running to the vapor separator, what should I do from here?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010 - 02:52:52 PM »
The line that would connect from the separator to the canister will vent the tank, problem is the smell. Of course the earlier models had nothing like this but I see that those owners sometimes have odor issues. .... I have seen ways to create a trap to catch the fumes but eventually they need to go somewhere else.  Searched "gas tank vent" & found this http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/TankVent.pdf
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!