Author Topic: Who goes to a car show to look at new Challengers ?  (Read 5386 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Who goes to a car show to look at new Challengers ?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010 - 12:29:44 PM »
Personally I don't care either way, if there is a class of car (any year) that I don't want to see I don't go over there. I do go check out the new stuff because I want to see how people are modifying them (mostly how the Challengers are being modded). Last year at the Ohlone show we had 20 cars in the Charger, Challenger, Magnum and 300 class, and this year we had over 60! So it is definitely a growing class not a shrinking one.

My only fear is that the new cars over take the old and eventually the old stop coming.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline duncz

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010 - 01:46:23 PM »
There was a new challenger forum club there this year that had a meet and greet during carlisle. I know they brought alot of the cars that were there.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010 - 04:04:27 PM »
100% bone stock of the showroom floor-I may glance at it quick but c`mon if all you do is wax it and bring it to a show your  :screwy: On the other hand if it is modified/personalized enough to stand out a bit then I have have no problem with newer cars at shows and would love to have a `cuda conversion on a new Challenger to cruise around in if I had the  :money:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010 - 04:44:21 PM »
 :iagree: At our big annual show last year, the judges basically decided on who did the best job washing and waxing the cars.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010 - 07:12:16 PM »
 If they limited the year of cars that get in like they do at our car cruises and Goodguys to around 1980, then rveryone with the older cars will be forced to get them out or finished.

The Nationals is so packed now that there were classic cars unable to find places to park unless they got there before 10AM
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010 - 07:44:02 PM »
I don't mind seeing new cars at car shows and usually i just walk by them. The way i look at it is if they are proud to own it they should be allowed to show it but i myself want to look at old school cars and thats what car shows were intended to be for anyways. My only main issue is the new cars should have thier OWN class. I get so pissed watching someone with a brand new ride win trophys when a guy with an old ride spent countless hours, busted knockles, and spent his or her life savings to restore thier car back to its oringial condition  :banghead: my  :2cents:   
Dennis,Ohio

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010 - 08:04:41 PM »
 :wow:

I knew there were a lot of new Chally's at Carlisle this year, but I didn't think it was THAT many.  Holy Mackerel!!!
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010 - 09:25:15 PM »
I agree about the separate classes for old school cars and new cars...matter of fact never been to a show where they combined them. Gotta disagree about car shows being just for old cars only. There are some shows like that, and thats cool but Carlisle has always had classes for later model cars. I paid just as much money for my spot on the show field as a 70 Cuda would have, so as far as Carlisle management is concerned the cars are equal in income generation. I buy the same food and buy parts from vendors (some of which specialize in newer mopars only).

The way things are going these Challengers might be the last of the V-8 cars so I figure enjoy em while we can. I'll go further here and say to be totally honest after 40+ Cudas and  E-body Challengers they are getting old for me....(blasphemy, I know!) I hardly looked at the e-bodies except for the Trans Am cars but spent quite a bit of time looking at the newer challengers. I've always had a short attention span when it comes to cars i own, after a year or so i get bored and have to move on....we'll see what happens with the new challenger and viper i have now. The wife LOVES the new Challenger so it has a pretty good chance of sticking around for awhile.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010 - 09:12:11 AM »
So using the logic that new Challengers are too original and boring to merit consideration at a show, wouldn't a restored to stock, OEM,  1st generation Challenger also be boring? I mean afterall, turning everything stock means everything looks real similar and the only real differences become the color combinations, right?

Thumbs up to the modified crowd, which is why I look at cars, old or new.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010 - 11:14:21 AM »
So using the logic that new Challengers are too original and boring to merit consideration at a show, wouldn't a restored to stock, OEM,  1st generation Challenger also be boring? I mean afterall, turning everything stock means everything looks real similar and the only real differences become the color combinations, right?

Thumbs up to the modified crowd, which is why I look at cars, old or new.

Very well put :iagree:

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010 - 01:32:15 PM »
Where i am at ALL mopars are in the same category. I went to a show last year and got 3rd  in the mopar category. 1st was an 09 srt8 challenger and 2nd was an 06 superbee with 47 miles on it. I dont mind going to car shows and loosing, i really dont, but i do like to be semi-competitive, i enjoy it. My challenger is a nice car but i cant compete with something thats only 3 months old. I have gotten to where i dont even take my challenger to shows anymore. Why spend 5 hours detailing it and spend 40 dollars for an entry fee (which is 2/3rds of a days pay for me) if i know i cant even be competitive when i can just drive it to the show, look at the other cars, leave and save 5 hours of my life and 40 dollars? That being said, i like seeing new cars, imports, and tuners at the car shows. Personally i prefer the old cars but those other cars bring in an entire other crowd of people to the shows. Just get the new cars their own class. And has anyone else noticed that this is usually only a problem for mopars? Most shows i go to have a class for old fords and a class for new fords, same way with GM and then they just throw all the mopars together.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010 - 01:39:27 PM »
The local Mopar show here in denver has separate classes for new and old,

i personally dont expect a trophy at a show if i get one(which i have more than i need collecting dust on my shelf), its just icing on the cake,i like to meet the people, and see the cars no matter what they are,if they are bundled in the same class so be it ,maybe they dont have enough trophies to go around and so they bundle them up together oh well :blah: :blah: :blah:

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010 - 12:45:48 PM »
Back in the spring my son took our Cuda to a car show the high school put on. It was put on for the kids to show off their cars and the judging was done by the kids voting on their favorite car. A friend of my son's brought her brand new Camaro that her parents had just bought her and put it in the show too. When the votes were tallied our Cuda had taken 3rd place, crappy paint and all! 1st and 2nd went to a couple of really nice custom 60's trucks my son said. The new Camaro didn't place. Apparently the kids like the older cars too! :2thumbs:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010 - 05:29:16 PM »
...we drove a new Challenger SRT to Carlisle..1100 miles of fun...beat the he!! out of driving a truck with my car in a box behind...I like to see all cars, old or new...if the new cars were left out of Carlisle, the show would be MUCH MUCH smaller

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010 - 12:46:01 PM »
I understand where you are coming from. New cars kinda bug me at car shows too, because with all the older glory around them they just don't add up and I usually end up ignoring them. Although there is an occasional one that will grab my attention...... That being said, I just got an 05 magnum r/t that I am planning on modding some lol and will probably stick it in a show occasionally if the wife wants to drive it down. But once the 'cuda is done it will be the only car guaranteed to go to the show. The magnum will be an option.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now