Author Topic: Tubular Upper control arms  (Read 27929 times)

Offline vpittman

Tubular Upper control arms
« on: July 11, 2010 - 12:56:57 PM »
I'm starting to plan out the suspension upgrade for my '73 cuda...

Both PST and Firm Feel have tubular upper control arms, are they worth the extra $350 ? If so, is one any better than the other ?

Thanks !

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Tubular Upper control arms
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010 - 02:17:27 PM »
IMO, no. For $50, you can install offset contorl arm bushings and get almost the same benefit.

Or, find out where the local IMCA racers are getting their car built. Chances are you can have a local race shop make them for half of what most other retail for.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010 - 08:40:37 PM »
the Hotchkiss may be the best option with a realigned pivot angle

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010 - 01:12:42 PM »
But if you really want the tubulars, they come up on eBay every now then much cheaper than list. Just before I lost my last job I got a set for $125, new.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline inviolet

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010 - 11:29:14 AM »

I'm starting to plan out the suspension upgrade for my '73 cuda...

Both PST and Firm Feel have tubular upper control arms, are they worth the extra $350 ? If so, is one any better than the other ?

Thanks !

Well If can't find what you want on Ebay, I have a set a Firm Feel Tubular Uppers in fairly new shape, less than 900 miles on arms. I'm looking for $240 with shipping. :2thumbs:

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010 - 10:45:21 PM »
But if you really want the tubulars, they come up on eBay every now then much cheaper than list. Just before I lost my last job I got a set for $125, new.

Thanks for the tip!  I did not do as well as you, but, it was still cheaper by a considerable margin  :cheers:

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010 - 09:52:25 PM »
by the time I cleaned up my old ones, bought and installed the new ball joint and bushings, it was cheaper IMO to buy the firm feels.
Done and installed.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010 - 11:21:08 PM »
I have the CAP uppers, and I like 'em.

Kyle.
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010 - 08:34:58 PM »
Kyle - with the new UCAs what steering settings do you have and what did you notice for handling improvements. Right now, because of the power mostly, I can put the car into 3rd at 60-70MPH and floor it and it damn near flies off the road to the left because of rut steer and engine torque combo and in that short distance it will accellerate to 100mph with me fighting the steering all the way and the front end is entirely new or rebuilt. Will these new UCAs help here?

Your feedback is appreciated
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010 - 09:52:16 PM »
Kyle - with the new UCAs what steering settings do you have and what did you notice for handling improvements. Right now, because of the power mostly, I can put the car into 3rd at 60-70MPH and floor it and it damn near flies off the road to the left because of rut steer and engine torque combo and in that short distance it will accellerate to 100mph with me fighting the steering all the way and the front end is entirely new or rebuilt. Will these new UCAs help here?

Your feedback is appreciated

73 EStroker,

I cannot give you an accurate description. I had only driven my car shortly, until I decided to completely change my set up. Once this is done I can tell you anything you like. I'm sure there are dozens of others on the board who can offer insight in the meantime.

Kyle.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 - 09:54:02 PM by Doomed »
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010 - 07:42:55 PM »
I'd skip the CAP tubular arms!!!  :eek4:

There have been several reported failures of these arms. While its hard to sort things out on the internet, I do know of one case specifically where its VERY obvious that the arm broke at the weld near the ball joint. Based on the pictures I saw, the weld at the joint was "cold" and did not penetrate all the way through. CAP, unlike other makers, uses a MIG welder for the production of their arms. While that isn't inherently an issue, there have been quality control issues with CAP and cold welds.

I do actually have a set of CAP tubular arms (uppers AND lowers) on my car. I have inspected them and they look fine, and I still run them (probably close to 20k miles on them now!). But I would not buy them again. Personally I'd get a set of Magnumforce double adjustable arms (and I might do so in the future). Unlike the other tubular arms on the market the double adjustable arms can be adjusted on the car without removing the arms. And after setting up the CAP arms I can say that would have been a worthwhile feature.

Regardless of which A-arm you go with, the most important part is getting a good alignment using modern standards. A little negative camber and positive caster go a long way to improving the handling of these cars. Depending on use, I'd say between -0.5 to -1.0 degrees of camber and around +4 degrees of caster will really help your cause. I currently run mine at -0.7 degrees camber and +4 degrees caster with 1/16" toe-in. -0.5 degrees camber should be great for a street car. -1 degree would be more for an aggressive road handling car, and I wouldn't run more than -1.0 on a car that sees a lot of street miles, as you'll start to get abnormal tire wear.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010 - 10:51:21 PM »
 :popcorn:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010 - 05:26:34 PM »
Personally I won't run heim joints on the street, particularly urban areas.
Thats why I went with a company that was building Mopar suspension parts before it became popular.
CAP is more for Drag racing, they even told me that at the Nationals.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline capautoproducts

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010 - 03:54:58 AM »
Ray from CAP Auto Products here.... First off I would like to say thanks to the blog. Great site for info and product insight. Let me respond to the repies then make an offer.
CAP components are designed for street uses. We have been an all Mopar Suspension manufacturere for 7 yrs. We have sold literally 1000's of upper control arms and yes.... we have had failures. In fact 2 to be exact. In both cases the car was not damaged and we responded quickly to the customers needs. Do not believe all that is read about any product...good or bad.
Finally I will put my money where my mouth is..... ANY ONE that purchases a set of upper control arms from us that mentions they read this blog will get $40 discount! BUT ONLY under one condition, they vow to report back to the blog of the quality and craftmanship.

I think that is as fair as you can be. So just to be clear..... $260 for a set of Tubular Uppers when you mention the site and my response until September 1st.
 :wow:
Thank you for the opportunity to offer a clairification. :wow:

Ray..Owner of CAP Auto Products