Tubular Upper control arms

Author Topic: Tubular Upper control arms  (Read 27936 times)

Offline 73EStroker

Re: Tubular Upper control arms
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2010 - 11:32:44 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the measurement from the centerline of the heims to the centerline of the ball joint

The measurement with the HEIMs screwed right in is 8" across center to center between the HEIMs and the center of the upper ball joint. Hard to get an accurate measurement though as the geometry correction bracket takes up some of that measurement.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010 - 11:34:53 PM by 73EStroker »
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2010 - 06:52:27 PM »
Why doesnt anyone speak about magnumforce they have double adjustable A arms for $399 doesnt that sound like a deal?
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2010 - 06:59:09 PM »
I bought these. Nothing against any other product except this one corrects some steering geometry.

I got them from Matts Classic Bowties - $644 + shipping.
I just ordered them from him too! That and the front and rear sway bars, and the RCD shocks. I've had enough of my Suburban out handling the Challenger! ::)
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2010 - 08:57:51 PM »
« Reply #61 on: Today at 06:52:27 PM »QuoteWhy doesnt anyone speak about magnumforce they have double adjustable A arms for $399 doesnt that sound like a deal?

I looked at the whole picture - like the Dodge stock pieces are stamped from one piece of metal, how strong the aftermarket ones were and of course, the geometry correction. The Hotchkiss won and even at the much higher price. The HKs are welded at the ball joint, like all the others, plus it has a reinforcing gusset bar at the critical location. I am sure the competitors do really well and make a great product but I chose what I thought was the best all around value not the cheapest.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2010 - 09:11:04 PM »
 :iagree:   Same here! The Hotchkis a-arms looked stronger and the geometry thing is an added bonus. After seeing the Cap Auto ones failed on that RoadRunner I went with the strongest design.
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2010 - 09:22:20 PM »
:iagree:   Same here! The Hotchkis a-arms looked stronger and the geometry thing is an added bonus. After seeing the Cap Auto ones failed on that RoadRunner I went with the strongest design.

So there is no marketing involved at all? Its all tried and true tech from hotchkis , I understand if a vendor is your preference but can anyone say they used the magnumforce and it was an inferior product.
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2010 - 09:56:37 PM »
I'm not saying Magnumforce stuff is inferior? I just think in the big picture Hotchkis was better? Yep Hotchkis does market their products pretty well. From a design point I would have went with firm feel or magnumforce arms next? Meaning they were my second choice. They both have a gusset on the ball joint to arm surface. IF I was JUST buying a-arms...ya maybe?  I also went with Hotchkis as I didn't want to mix and match parts from different vendors? I do think Hotchkis stuff is priced crazy high and I'm not totally convinced about rod ends on a street car, but others are happy with their products and they seem to have done their homework design wise? I was going to go with Firm feels sway bars but the Hotchkis was cheaper and, importantly to me lighter? Also the rear sway bar design with Hotchkis I DON'T have to possibly rework my exhaust. So for me Hotchkis with the a-arms,sway bars and shocks, had the complete package. It's sort of like buying a crate engine....somewhat tried and true?
Just my  :2cents: not that I'm some sort of genius or anything?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2010 - 10:27:48 PM »
In my opinion, Hotchkis is designed by guys who design, build, and race cars in a number of road race classes that are relevent to how these cars are/can be used. They engineered their product to overcome inherent issues with the original design and improve the road holding capability and the driving experience.

By comparison, Magnumforce has designed lightweight products for drag racers that utilize components that mount in places supporting weight in manners the uni-body was never designed to do, and utilized stock mounting points for a number of pick up points, ie, their engineering is less than optimal.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2010 - 11:25:56 AM »
 :iagree:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2010 - 03:42:28 PM »
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2010 - 08:47:26 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is the measurement from the centerline of the heims to the centerline of the ball joint

The measurement with the HEIMs screwed right in is 8" across center to center between the HEIMs and the center of the upper ball joint. Hard to get an accurate measurement though as the geometry correction bracket takes up some of that measurement.

Thanks for that. They are closer to stock length than I would have thought.