Bad fitting rear valance

Author Topic: Bad fitting rear valance  (Read 18605 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Bad fitting rear valance
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010 - 10:14:44 PM »
Honestly,to me it looks like the quarter doesn't have enough curve to it....AND the valance looks like it has too much of a curve.

Before you start messing with the quarters, I think it would be a good idea to test fit a different rear valance.  That rear valence has been modified with those extra holes...you really don't know what else has been done to it.

If you want, I can go out and measure my car, side-to-side where the valance meets the quarters and see where we are at.

OK...I went out and measured my car just to give you a reference.  I held the tape measure against the bottom flange of the quarter panel where it meets the valance.  I measured straight across to the other side and got 4' 11 1/4" +/-
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010 - 10:30:25 PM by burdar »

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010 - 10:07:34 AM »
Honestly,to me it looks like the quarter doesn't have enough curve to it....AND the valance looks like it has too much of a curve.

Before you start messing with the quarters, I think it would be a good idea to test fit a different rear valance.  That rear valence has been modified with those extra holes...you really don't know what else has been done to it.

If you want, I can go out and measure my car, side-to-side where the valance meets the quarters and see where we are at.

OK...I went out and measured my car just to give you a reference.  I held the tape measure against the bottom flange of the quarter panel where it meets the valance.  I measured straight across to the other side and got 4' 11 1/4" +/-

Thank you for the measure
My measure are as shown in a straight line from side to side om the car

Hope you are better to convert to feet than I am  :)
My tape measure is in mm and cm så I converted them to inch
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 - 10:21:30 AM by tomsa »

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010 - 10:30:53 AM »
The measurement I took was where you have 57.5".  4-11-4 comes out to be 59 1/4"  It looks like your quarters are in at the bottom by an inch per side compaired to what I have. 

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010 - 10:35:48 AM »
The measurement I took was where you have 57.5".  4-11-4 comes out to be 59 1/4"  It looks like your quarters are in at the bottom by an inch per side compaired to what I have.

Ok that´s not good  :bricks1:
57.5" is inside the quater panels

But if I bend the quater panel out I must bend it all the way up over to the side marker or else it must look like a dent from the point where the quaters are changed
like this
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 - 10:40:00 AM by tomsa »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010 - 11:09:36 AM »
If you look at my resto thread, I had to cut off the whole edge, hammer it to fit the valance, the weld it back on.   After doing all that, I had to cut off the 1/4's mounting tabs the reweld them again to lower the valance so the top edge matched 1/4's edge, under the bumper.  Very poor shape when made.

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010 - 11:18:02 AM »
If you look at my resto thread, I had to cut off the whole edge, hammer it to fit the valance, the weld it back on.   After doing all that, I had to cut off the 1/4's mounting tabs the reweld them again to lower the valance so the top edge matched 1/4's edge, under the bumper.  Very poor shape when made.

As you can see in my pic I don´t have any holes at all in the quater

I start to think the easyies solution now is to make a new valance i fiber glass that fits because I don´t want to start all over again the paint and straighten the whole fender out on more time

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010 - 12:47:13 PM »
If you look around you can find the rear valance already made out of fibergrass.  I bought one 2 years ago at a swap meed used, for $100.   It was a dual cut-out version.  Might be easier for you to remake and weld the valance side instead of the quarter side like I did.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010 - 01:16:30 PM »
I live in sweden
So to find a valance in fiber glass here at a swap meet is almost impossible  :banghead:
Shipping cost from Usa for a thing that big isn´t cheap either
I will try tomorrow with cutting and welding but the valance is bent and smashed and then there is these 2.25" holes that have to be fixed as well
That´s why I feel like it´s easiest to make my own from fiber glass but I don´t know yet

Anyway  THANKS to you all for help,ideas and so on This is a GREAT forum :worshippy

If you look around you can find the rear valance already made out of fibergrass.  I bought one 2 years ago at a swap meed used, for $100.   It was a dual cut-out version.  Might be easier for you to remake and weld the valance side instead of the quarter side like I did.

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010 - 10:15:43 PM »
You should get an AMD rear quarter patch and fix that problem quickly.  You can tell by the lack of valance mounting holes and the very wide pinch weld seam that the quarter patch used was one of the low quality panels from the pre-OEM style panel age.

We have an aftermarket (Sherman) rear valance on the challenger and it fit great.  The LH quarter is original and the RH quarter is a Sherman quarter.  Rear valance fit great.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010 - 10:17:33 PM by E-Body Products »

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2010 - 03:07:34 AM »
You should get an AMD rear quarter patch and fix that problem quickly.  You can tell by the lack of valance mounting holes and the very wide pinch weld seam that the quarter patch used was one of the low quality panels from the pre-OEM style panel age.

We have an aftermarket (Sherman) rear valance on the challenger and it fit great.  The LH quarter is original and the RH quarter is a Sherman quarter.  Rear valance fit great.

But I don´t want to cut up my quaters again and order new panels
To much jobb and money  :crying:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010 - 04:26:07 AM by tomsa »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2010 - 09:12:28 AM »
I think I know the way to correct the contour of the valance. I managed to mess mine up with to much curve trying to get things to fit better & had to get it back. Its the compound bend on the inside where the hardware mounts that creates the bow......The flatter the bend the bigger the curve in the valance...(think I have that right). I remember using a curved pry bar slid inside there to pry.   Sorry no pics to reference. 

Pry bar similar to what I used

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010 - 09:21:00 AM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2010 - 09:51:18 AM »
Correcting the bend of the valance is easy
Just place it on the floor and step gently on it
But the problem is that it is about 1" too wide for the body
Both at the top and the bottom of the valance and it´s only the lower part of the quater panels that has been replaced
So the upper measure on the body can not have changed (I think)

I think I know the way to correct the contour of the valance. I managed to mess mine up with to much curve trying to get things to fit better & had to get it back. Its the compound bend on the inside where the hardware mounts that creates the bow......The flatter the bend the bigger the curve in the valance...(think I have that right). I remember using a curved pry bar slid inside there to pry.   Sorry no pics to reference. 

Pry bar similar to what I used

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2010 - 01:49:21 PM »
   Don't Step on it...  You'll  could collapse it in one place....
The valance bows , I could see that if it has been flattened the length would be increased. 

I also notice in this picture that the opening for the bumper guard is askew..should be a rectangle so it's spread at the top & crooked at the bottom.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010 - 01:54:25 PM by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2010 - 02:08:44 PM »
Yes it doesn´t fit good at all but if I step gently on the edge of it i start to look ok

But the bumper guards is to far out from the valance so I don´t know how to do now  :)
This thing doesn´t fit at all

or should they stick out so much

Don't Step on it...  You'll  could collapse it in one place....
The valance bows , I could see that if it has been flattened the length would be increased. 

I also notice in this picture that the opening for the bumper guard is askew..should be a rectangle so it's spread at the top & crooked at the bottom.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010 - 05:21:33 PM by tomsa »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2010 - 05:24:04 PM »
   I know it can be frustrating but remember it fit at one time...
You might get some insight from post on page 3 of my resto thread
 http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=31954.100
Screwed by Photobucket!