Author Topic: Changing filler neck without dropping tank or valance???  (Read 1107 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Changing filler neck without dropping tank or valance???
« on: July 16, 2010 - 03:48:36 PM »
Wondering if changing the filler neck without dropping the tank or rear valance is possible.

I had dropped my tank (which also means dropping the valance) last summer and had the filler tube out etc....put a new gasket on the tank, blah blah blah

I need to replace the tube and am hoping it is doable without all that hassle.  Figured I would try to get the gas down to half a tank and then take a shot at it....My trunk floor was replaced and I seem to remember the clearance to the filler tube being very tight....

Anyone ever do it?

Also, I used (dont laugh) KY Jelly on the tube to help the insertion into the new seal and it worked fine....anything better or reasons NOT to do that again?  Wondering how KY mixes with fuel.  LOL

thanks all

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Changing filler neck without dropping tank or valance???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010 - 04:14:54 PM »
Given the angles involved and the depth of the neck into the tank, I can't see it. Somebody may come along and prove me wrong, though.

OTOH, to the best of my knowledge, KY breaks down in fuel very well, so I don't think that's a problem.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010 - 04:50:44 PM »
Had to drop mine when I did it.  You'll notice the filler tube fits flush against the inside of the qtr panel.  Really no way to pull the tube out otherwise. If I remember correctly, the tube slides inside the tank at least 6" or more.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010 - 05:58:52 PM »
When I replaced my tank I did not remove the filler tube..........However back when I put the car back together the first time I had a time getting all to go together.   That doesn't help at all does it????????????? :faint:

Sorry.....I didn't even notice it was a Cuda.........I thought everyone had a Challenger....... :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010 - 07:11:59 PM by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER »
Dave or David

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010 - 06:49:31 PM »
No problem doing this on a cuda - unscrew the floor gasket, unscrew the neck, remove.
I can't comment on a challenger
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010 - 06:49:45 PM »
I did that yesterday. I`ve got a 70 and not sure if it`s the same on your car. It`s not even possible to position the filler tube before the tank is installed since there`s a flange that bolts behind the licenseplate on the outside.  a bit of grease on the grommet does make it very easy.
*** Bart ***

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010 - 01:12:37 PM »
Thanks guys.

It was very easy after all....no issues...a little Ky and it went right in.  (The filler tube that is)

I did noticewhen filling up that the "dent" on the visible side of the tube (inside the trunk, below the trunk lock)does restrict the fuel pump nozzle from going very far in.....hafta watch that. Why is that dent there on a 70-71 (from which I am told this filler tube came) versus the 72-up?

I actually have a gas cap that seats properly now!!  :bigsmile:

Still going to be careful parking on steep hills, nose forward...

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010 - 05:31:30 PM »
 :clueless:   sooo.... the dent is supposed to be there...?     ::)   thought I had a crap pipe   :lol:
*** Bart ***

Offline Aracer

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010 - 12:42:27 AM »
I have to use a small fat funnel to compress the nozzle for uninterrupted fill, like a yellow Prestone radiator fill funnel.