Author Topic: Engine mount issue??? - Part Duex  (Read 3804 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Engine mount issue??? - Part Duex
« on: July 19, 2010 - 02:43:05 PM »
The engine mount in the pic below does not look right to me.

This is the pass side on a 1980 360 that is in my cuda. The front of the engine is the right side of the pic

The pics I have seen seem to show the mount attaching to the other side of the ears on the block.

So is this wrong???

The engine does not look like it is in crooked...but its hard to tell.

The car goes down the road just fine, no vibration or anything, which is what I would think would happen if it was in crooked.

I tried to install a new trans mount last year but coudl not ge the holes to line up, (I think that was the reason) so I put the one that was in it (with what appear to be elongated holes).

I am just not sure I want /need to fix this, only because I am not sure its broken.

I am about to install a new summit exhaust kit... and if the engine is in crooked, I don't want it to screw up the exhaust fit.

Thanks 

Jason

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010 - 09:30:29 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Aracer

Re: Engine mount issue???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010 - 03:43:49 PM »
I just checked, both sides of a 340/360 are mounted on the rear side of the engine ears. Use a poly rear mount for stability in the mount department, at the least, and don't even think of solid mounts. :2cents:

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 - 08:31:04 AM »
I just checked, both sides of a 340/360 are mounted on the rear side of the engine ears. Use a poly rear mount for stability in the mount department, at the least, and don't even think of solid mounts. :2cents:

Yeah thats what I have seen too...I guess i shoudl fix it befor I install the new exhast...just seems like a lot of work for something that does not appear to be causign any issues, oh well....one more thing on my vacation list!
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010 - 10:29:19 PM »
Well, rented an engine hoist and corrected the mount.  It was an incredible pain in the ass, but I fixed it.  Also sorted out my trans mount issue.

Anxious to get it out on the road and see if it makes any difference.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010 - 10:47:35 PM »
Well, rented an engine hoist and corrected the mount.  It was an incredible pain in the ass, but I fixed it.  Also sorted out my trans mount issue.

Anxious to get it out on the road and see if it makes any difference.

Jason
Bummer ! If I had known you wanted an engine lift you could have borrowed mine! :banghead:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010 - 11:04:36 PM »
Bummer ! If I had known you wanted an engine lift you could have borrowed mine! :banghead:

Hey thanks man.  No worries, It was fairly cheap to rent. 

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Re: Engine mount issue??? - Part Duex
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010 - 09:34:11 PM »
SO I fixed this...was quite teh task too, but I still don not think it is right.

Pass side- I think this is an ebody mount?
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010 - 09:36:12 PM »
Driver side...

That is not an E-body mount is it?

74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010 - 09:38:18 PM »
I think this is an ebody driver side mount.

Hmmm, guess what my next project is?!?!?!?

74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Aracer

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010 - 12:36:57 AM »
The drivers side engine bracket, on a 340-360 is different from a 318, narrower too. The flat rubber mount is the same on all except for the 1973 e- bodys which have the round through bolt type, that looks the same as the trans. mount. 

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010 - 08:44:52 PM »
I think this is an ebody driver side mount.

Hmmm, guess what my next project is?!?!?!?
That looks same as on my 360, and looks like the correct drivers side mount, with the rubber part under and aft of the center of the engine block bracket.  Notice in your earlier pic of the drivers side the rubber is all under the engine bracket...which is wrong according to what fit well on mine.
Phil

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010 - 10:04:41 PM »
The drivers side engine bracket, on a 340-360 is different from a 318, narrower too. The flat rubber mount is the same on all except for the 1973 e- bodys which have the round through bolt type, that looks the same as the trans. mount.

Say what about the 73 e body mount being round :clueless:   all the same k member and mount far as I have ever seen

Offline Aracer

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010 - 02:52:08 AM »
I meant  all E bods, use the thick flat rubber ones, except the 1973, that uses the round trans. type, all around. Then buy poly replacements.
     The A bod uses the same set of 340/360 engine brackets (or a 318 pair), but smaller rubber insulators.
     I raced mine for many years with the 2 bolts that lined up, and left the odd one out; not even shimmed like yours with a nut.
     When I switched to a 440, all I did was use the brackets that were on the core 440 motor. And the same rubbers as the 318's.