Author Topic: Color change opinions...  (Read 3594 times)

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
Color change opinions...
« on: July 21, 2010 - 11:29:50 AM »
This is purely a question that will not effect me for at least a couple of years, but I wanted to get some input here.

I am leaning toward one of those guys who likes the cars painted in factory colors. The issue is that my car was originally GF7 which is not very attractive from what I have seen. I have tried to like it, Honest..  :misbehaving:

Lets see how I can put this, I plan on keeping my car to old age and passing it down to my daughter who is 6 months old now. In the next few years I would like to break the car down and go over it with great detail.

I have changed the car to 1970 B5 Blue, but I see alot of blue cars. Close to GF7 but darker would be EF8 but is it worth only tweaking the cars color a little? Or is it just as well any other color? I really like Black.

I know people are going to say paint it how you like it, and other people who say who cares about value when you'll keep it forever. I guess its a matter of opinion. This would hopefully be the last time the car is apart or at least while I am around.  :jumping:

I would plan on keeping a raised hood, cut out valance, not adding the rubber side moulding and it would probably retain the stroker motor maybe painted correctly for disguise.

:bigsmile:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Color change opinions...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010 - 11:34:37 AM »
Have you seen GF7 when it's fresh?  I know a lot of colors look less than appealing when they are adged but look fantastic when they are fresh.

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help.  I like seeing cars painted there origonal color but you can never go wrong with black/black stripes.

Offline William H Meister

• And so it begins...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010 - 02:08:44 PM »
I am in the same boat. I have a tawny gold metalic 72 Cuda that has been stripped for painting. I am torn between going with an original 72 color or a more dramatic plumb crazy. Everyone I talk to says paint it the way you want it.
Bill

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010 - 02:29:59 PM »
One thing about black, which I'm sure you know, is that the body has to be perfectly smooth. Any imperfection will pop out.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010 - 10:59:03 PM »
You have raised a concern that has bothered a lot of us before.  You absolutely SHOULD paint it whatever color you like - It is your car.  But, like others here, I always like the original colors.  (GF7 is that dark green, right?  Very 70's, which is cool)

Burdar raised a very valid point - You need to see a fresh paint job, if at all possible.  GF7 might be difficult to find, but here is why it is important:

My Challenger was originally FY4 (Lt. Gold Metallic), but was a primered body when I got it.  I searched the country, and could not find a car, or a good picture, of that gold color.  I got a few pics of the gold when it was faded, and it looked horrible.  After a LOT of internal debate, I decided to paint my car the color I have always liked - Hemi Orange.  I am very satisfied with it, and nothing else on my car matches the fender tag anyway.   :P

Then I went to Carlisle last week, and there was a BEAUTIFUL FY4 gold car there (right across from the C-C.com tent).  I attached a picture below.  While I am not sorry for my color choice, I now realize that the gold looks good (to me), when it is 'fresh', and a quality paint job.

Sorry to not have any definitive advice, but you really need to do what satisfies YOU.  If you think that the GF7 would be hideous, then don't use it.  Best of luck in your decision - I know how you feel!

-Tom

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010 - 01:24:33 AM »
well I fall into the if you are going to keep it & it is not going to affect the value as you will not sell anyway
then build it for you , pick your favorite color & run with it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010 - 07:18:32 AM »
Thanks guys!! It will be a while and I will hopefully see some more cars to compare one day!!

My turmoil comes with my rare option, and I think it would be cool to put it back fairly original for the sake of not many made with the Formal Roof code.  :cheers:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010 - 08:36:42 AM »
It's not easy being green.  :walkaway:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010 - 08:47:02 AM »
Whats wrong with green....?  :roflsmiley: 

:thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 74ralley

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010 - 08:52:44 AM »
DoNotChallengeHer, I like the Green on that 71 !  :cooldancing:  And to answer the original question, what it all comes down to is a matter of your choice, if your going to keep it for ever and pass it on then paint it what color suits you. like said before, its your car do what you like.  :2thumbs:   
The Only Easy Day, Was Yesterday.

Pennsylvania

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010 - 09:02:24 AM »
I had the same difficult decision.  My car was originally a GY8 (Gold) car.  But, since I changed just about everything else, I didn't feel too bad about going Plum Crazy.  I still like th GY8 color but I had always wanted an FC7 car. 

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010 - 09:04:01 AM »
Wally, if you're going to hand it down to your daughter, paint it whatever color you like and let her change the color to suit herself...when she's pulling the motor and installing the Mr Fusion unit  :D

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010 - 12:07:56 PM »
 :roflsmiley:

Jackie, that looks totally different in that picture! I wish I would see more cars in Green.  :grinyes:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010 - 01:51:15 PM »
:roflsmiley:

Jackie, that looks totally different in that picture! I wish I would see more cars in Green.  :grinyes:
Wally, Everytime I get a pic of my Chally it looks a different shade.  :dunno:   :smilielol: :smilielol:

Offline Blue Meanie

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010 - 02:16:49 PM »
I think that if it's not a rare car with original major components, then pick your poison.  Although personally, I would choose from those colors correct for the year.  There were plenty of colors back then, it shouldn't be hard to find one that suits you.  Then you are not messing with the zeitgeist of the car.  A non original color, no matter how nice it is, will always look 'off'.  I don't know about other folks, but when I see an old car restored (or restified) with a more unusual color, it always stands out to me in a good way.

(B5 blue is always nice... :naughty:)