Ride Height Question

Author Topic: Ride Height Question  (Read 1981 times)

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Ride Height Question
« on: October 26, 2004 - 03:17:44 PM »
What is the factory ride height of a 71' Cuda and from what point on the body is it measured from?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Ride Height Question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004 - 10:34:44 PM »
I don`t have a spec but I do it to personal taste , usually covering the top of the front tire by an inch or so

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004 - 10:05:19 AM »
It sounds like everyone I have talked to about getting springs, says they can adjust the height 1 to 3 inches either way from stock height.  When I got my car the rear springs were rusted through and I have no starting point to work with.  I understand that I can put my wheels up in the wells to see where I want them to be sitting, but how do I ensure that my springs will seat them where I want them?  Should I just plan on trying to adjust the height with the front and rear hangars?  A kind of side to this question is the fact that I know I can gett a SS spring that will fit fine, but my fear is that they are going to put my rear higher in the air than I would like, so I figure a custom spring would be the right way to go.  Should I even be thinking that way?  Any input to this would be great and I am sure this has been topic has been pounded into the ground, so I figure I would do my share.  ;D

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004 - 02:53:54 AM »
Now I understand better , , only the front hangar can adjust height , the rear will make very little difference , the only other way to adjust is to either bend the spring or use lowering blocks , you sort have to trust the spring maker to get the correct arc  , & yes the SS spring will probably lift the rear , by using a lighter spring say 3200 lb on a 3600 lb E body you May get the height you want   

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Plum6Pak

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004 - 09:30:08 AM »
If you end up going with some lowering blocks, be very limited on how much space you put in there, you are building a sort of stroker suspension when you do that, you ad torque to the twist on your springs during a hard launch and heavy braking, with every bit of distance away from the spring perch to the axle you increase the twist torque on the spring. As Chryco stated, they are out there doing this but just as a note of caution not to get too carried away with spacers, I don't think an inch or so would hurt too much.  ;D

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004 - 10:41:50 AM »
I definitly wanted to avoid the use of spacers and/or shims.  I appreacate the feedback and I think I might try a spring for a lighter car as Psycho suggested and see what happens.  If it doesn't work, guess I will have a set of springs for sales.  :)