71 challenger a/c pics

Author Topic: 71 challenger a/c pics  (Read 3851 times)

Offline noschevys

71 challenger a/c pics
« on: August 04, 2010 - 05:33:09 PM »
Can some people post some detailed pictures of a 71 Challenger Big Block with air conditioning.  I would like to reinstall mine but  I don't know how and here all the pieces go.  Thanks.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: 71 challenger a/c pics
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010 - 12:10:27 AM »
I'll have my car out Friday night for a car cruise. Which parts do you need detailed pics of?  probably all of the pulleys, idler and brackets, right?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline kmyles

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010 - 12:41:02 AM »
 :popcorn:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010 - 06:52:11 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline noschevys

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010 - 07:07:45 AM »
Thanks, all of that plus how the condenser mounts, the lines mount on the rad support, and also how the drier bracket is installed.  Thanks so much :bigsmile:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010 - 11:30:39 AM »
My engine was installed in '85 ans is DIRTY, so I'm not pulling it to clean it up then end up spending $10,000 before it goes back in.

This is what I have:
1. The big suction hose behind the compressor is missing the little muffler that en e-body had.
2. RB engines had the long alternator bolt go right into the head, B engines had a bracket that bolted into the 2 bolts on the head, that had a mounting hole 1" up.  Mine is an RB.
3. I don't have the diagonal brackets installed that go from the intake manifold to the compressor. They didn't fit over the Larger intake runners of the EFI manifold.
4. '70s and some '71 had a condenser with lines on opposite ends and a shorter line going to the drier. Mine is a pic of the later model with both lines on the driver's side.
5. The Heater control valve is missing a little screwed down clamp that holds the high pressure line down.

Tell me if you are unclear about anything. I can take more pics till Sunday and I can take more at the Nationals on next Thurs-Fri-Sat of other cars.

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline noschevys

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010 - 05:37:22 PM »
Thanks, great pics.  How and what does the drier bracket look like and where does it mount?  Also is that the correct wiring harness to the drier?  How is is routed, along the valve cover than splits off to the drier along the alternator, than back to the compressor?   Thanks, If you get any other pictures of 71 challengers at the Nationals that would help allot!!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010 - 11:33:41 PM »
The wiring is part of the AC harness. It is part of the AC harness that only consists of the Green wire for the blower motor and the BLUE wire for the low-pressure and compressor clutch wire. It runs across the firewall and under the bracket on the heater control valve mount. Goes to the drier then reaches over the clutch.

The Drier mount fits right on the flat spot of the inner fender. It might even have 2 dimples for the screw holes.
I have a spare bracket that I was going to take a pic of but I can't find it even though I saw it last week.

Rob

Offline noschevys

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010 - 09:28:46 AM »
Thanks.  The piece I'm missing for the drier is the on with the 3 holes in it that mounts to the fender.  I have the strap with the hole and flat tang for the drier.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010 - 02:51:37 PM »
This pics shows the "muffler" on the vacuum hose that I was talking about.

Rob

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010 - 07:35:26 PM »
 ::)
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...