Torsion bar noise

Author Topic: Torsion bar noise  (Read 6074 times)

Offline T/A Care

• Pikes Peak Country
    • T/A Care's Website
Torsion bar noise
« on: October 29, 2004 - 03:09:19 PM »
My torsion bars constantly “creak” a little as the car drives.  Any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it?
Thank You Vets!

Visit T/A Care's Website 
Romans 10:9-10

Plum6Pak

Re: Torsion bar noise
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004 - 04:29:21 PM »
How new is youir control arm bushings? New poly ones will creak if they aren't coated with some thick compatable grease. Or maybe you have the original bushings in there and they are just wearing out. Anyway, hope that helps, the lower control arm bushings can create the creak squeek!  ;D

Offline T/A Care

• Pikes Peak Country
    • T/A Care's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004 - 05:58:24 PM »
Doh! I guess I should have said the front end was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago (with rubber bushings).
Thank You Vets!

Visit T/A Care's Website 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004 - 03:28:20 AM »
possible the strut rods are the cause , torsion bars are silent 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline T/A Care

• Pikes Peak Country
    • T/A Care's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004 - 05:37:01 PM »
At the risk of sounding totally naïve, I thought the torsion bars twisted as the front end moves up and down.  That’s why I thought they might be the culprit.

And to sound even less informed, I’m not familiar with the strut rods.  Are you referring to the shock absorber mounts on the fender towers?
Thank You Vets!

Visit T/A Care's Website 

Plum6Pak

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004 - 06:29:13 PM »
Hey T/A, no problem not knowing some of this stuff, that's how we learn, from others and from our mistakes, (I should be a genius if that's the case)  :P  Anyway, each torsion bar is fit into a solid hex bracket in the rear crossmember, the front of the torsion bar fits into the hex type socket in the lower control arm and is on the same axis as the torsion bar. The LCA is mounted into the K frame using a mounting bolt/bushing that it pivots on allowing the LCA to go up and down and twist on the torsion bar. The main weight of the car is on that bushing and most of the twist or spring action on the car all takes place on that pivot point. Make any sense? Anyway, if the bushings are shot or new they can creak or squeek, new bushing kits come with special lubricant to stop this from happening. The strut rod is a rod that goes through the K frame and bolts into the lower control arm to support it for forward and aft movement. It is mounted in bushings on the front where it goes through the K frame on each side and is bolted solid into the LCA. Clear as mud? Hope that helps a little.  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004 - 09:21:11 PM by Plum6Pak »

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004 - 12:09:54 AM »
T/A, strut rods are the shorter bars towards the front of the car that mount to the lower control arm and the K-frame.  If I was at home I could snap off a quick shot of them, but I'm not, so hopefully you either see them now or someone else could take a quick shot of them for you.  Anyways, they are constantly moving within their bushings, so chances are that's making some noise as Chryco has already stated. 
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline T/A Care

• Pikes Peak Country
    • T/A Care's Website
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004 - 06:22:06 PM »
Being new on this board I haven't figured out how to flag my posts so it's easy to check them later...

I'll crawl under it and have the kids bounce on the bumper and see where the noise is coming from in the next week or so.

Muchos!
Thank You Vets!

Visit T/A Care's Website 

Plum6Pak

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004 - 10:35:05 AM »
Hey T/A, let us know what you find, just curious, it will be nice to see if you find the little creaker squeeker, then you might have to tweak her to get out the squeeker!  ack

Offline T/A Care

• Pikes Peak Country
    • T/A Care's Website
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004 - 01:02:35 PM »
^  laughing

I almost got into it this weekend, but after getting a couple other things marked off the list had to get the kids to birthday parties.  Thinking of putting a sign on the car, "Dad's 12 Second Taxi"   grinyes
Thank You Vets!

Visit T/A Care's Website 

Offline afrochallenger

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004 - 03:21:51 AM »
plum6pak - Hi you sound pretty clued up there, I am out in South Africa, with one of the only Challengers in the country. I am having a bit of trouble with my front suspension, I suspect it's my strut rods or tortion bars, I am getting a loud "click" when I turn from full left to full right, and when I hit the brakes real hard. I think maybe my strut bushes are giving too much movment, do you know how much they should move under normal driving conditions. banghead

Plum6Pak

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004 - 07:25:49 AM »
 thumbs Welcome AfroChally!! Nice to have another from so far away joining in the fun!  grinyes
It's hard to diagnose from here but the strut rods shouldn't move much at all, the bushings should be taking most of the shock load when you turn or brake. They will pivot up and down but as far as fore and aft, they shouldn't move only enough to compress the bushing a little. If they are moving excessivly where there is visible gaps in the bushings, washers etc, then they are worn out. I would also suspect control arm bushings and/or brake components or bearings. The torsion bars shouldn't make any noise, they are under a constant load and unless something unusual is occuring they should be silent. I would jack the car up and put it on jack stands and do a real thorough inspection. check everything, shocks, brake pad mounting plates, ball joints and spin the wheels and check for bearing play and any unusual sound etc. It could be something inside the brake drum or on the disc brake setup as well. Turn the wheel from stop to stop and see if you detect any noises or unusual movement in the suspension components while it's on the stands. Hope you can find your click, sometimes it's a real mystery where some of these sounds come from!  wave Good Luck!!

Offline afrochallenger

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004 - 07:49:42 AM »
Thanks for your input, it is so good to speak to another mopar freak, I'm on my own here. Have done the whole inspection thing, but the noise doesn't happen when shes jacked up, which is making it so diffcult to find, hence my torsion bar suspicion. Do you have an idea of the correct spacing between the the the strut washers, bcause the bushes are still looking good. I think maybe the front to back movement of the strut rod is causing movement at the lower control arm/torsion bar socket area - I can feel the noise at my feet, I assume from the rear torsion bar mounting? Am I making sense? Ball joints, bearings, brakes, tie rods are all new.

Plum6Pak

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004 - 06:53:19 PM »
Well, that helps some, if you are talking about the front strut rod bushings where they go through the K frame, there shouldn't be any distance between the washer and the bushings, they should fit up snuggly against them, both the inside washer and the outside. If there is distance there I think you've found your some of your problem. The strut rods shouldn't move but a fraction to keep things nice and straight, might pay to check those lower control arm bushings if that's been going on, the extra wear and tear on them getting no help from the strut rod could mean they are shot too. 
 beer Cheers!

Offline afrochallenger

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004 - 12:52:41 AM »
It's all starting to make sense. There is no space between the bushes and washers when the car is stationary. I sat on the fender while a friend drove with the bonnet open, under braking and turrning from left to right, the bushes are getting compressed alot, I would say that the strut rod moves about 3/4 inch, front to back. Keeping in mind that the strut rod bushes are in good condition, I wonder if there is too much space between the front and back washers ie. the rolled steel tube spacer that seperates the washers is too long, or I don't have the correct bushes. I don't know of another e-body around to compare to, could you measure the distance between the front and back strut rod washers. If mine is the same as yours, then it's only the bushes that need replacing. This car had been butchered before I got hold of her, there's no telling what sorts thing have been done to her by previous owners. Thanks in advance for all your advice. thumbs