Author Topic: Hood Latch Striker and Catch Finish  (Read 11094 times)

Offline 70challengersix

Hood Latch Striker and Catch Finish
« on: August 09, 2010 - 04:23:38 PM »
Does anyone know the correct finish for the hood striker, latch and catch on a 70 Challenger?  How did you do yours?  I understand the hood spring is body color.  The catch that attaches to the hood appears to be flat black before media blasting, but not sure how correct that is.  THANKS

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
Re: Hood Latch Striker and Catch Finish
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010 - 01:18:56 AM »
I may be wrong but I think the release handle and spring are black phosphate colored.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline 71Plym

• 1971 B2 Cuda
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010 - 07:13:20 PM »
I agree with black phosphate.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010 - 08:05:30 PM »
I agree with black phosphate.

Nope  :grinno:

Brown Phosphate.

http://www.julesdaddio.com/

You can buy the correct phosphate from here if you don't wish to pay exorbadant prices for a concours resto.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/metal.htm

Haven't done it but I am interested if somebody does decide to try it and how it comes out. 

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 70challengersix

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010 - 02:15:51 PM »
Topcat,

Caswell Plating advised that their brown phosphate product only works on copper.  They indicated that they therefore do not carry any products that can replicate the look that you provided in the pics.  They put me on to another source that I will investigate - Thanks

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010 - 02:47:05 PM »
Topcat,

Caswell Plating advised that their brown phosphate product only works on copper.  They indicated that they therefore do not carry any products that can replicate the look that you provided in the pics.  They put me on to another source that I will investigate - Thanks

Thanks for letting me know about that. If you would, keep me and others posted on what you find out.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 70challengersix

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010 - 03:19:08 PM »
Yes Topcat, I have already placed the questions to them.

I need to look, but that color just may be a shade off from those lower control arms that someone on the board sprayed with that Krylon Battery Post Cleaner.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010 - 03:54:52 PM »
Yes Topcat, I have already placed the questions to them.

I need to look, but that color just may be a shade off from those lower control arms that someone on the board sprayed with that Krylon Battery Post Cleaner.

Yes it is different than the Krylon. The strut rods were also originally a similiar color to the hood latch parts too.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010 - 12:07:04 AM »
 :popcorn:
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010 - 12:28:20 PM »
Actually, all of those parts are not all brown phosphate.

There are several different platings on the latch assembly.
I havea good pic of it, I just need to repost.
I used DX-579 to remove the rust and corrosion from my catch plate. I then cleaning it with soap and water and sprayed with protectant.

You can do the same, as long as it is not pitted. mine looked like it should be thrown away, so chances are good that yours will come out nice.
The catch loop has overspray
the lever is zinc DiChromate finish/natural silver chromate
The hood claw (mine) is black phosophate.

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010 - 02:51:20 PM »
The parts pictured in the post by Topcat were done by Jules.  He now offers a latch service.

Looking at cars at the Nat's, very few had the correct plating.  Some people sprayed the latches with a phosphate looking paint.  I think Totally Auto might be the ones that sell it but I didn't see it on their website when I looked.

Some of my latches were sprayed with this paint by the shop that painted my car.  I didn't know they were going to paint them but they did.  I'm going to try and spray a thin coat of battery protector over the phosphate paint.  That might give it a brownish look to it.  We'll see.

Offline a440plus6

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010 - 06:59:08 AM »
Latches,safety catches and safety catch pulls were Black Zinc from the assembly line.
The Black Chromate faded over time and turned to a brown.
Mounting bolts were Gray Phosphate and screws were Clear zinc.
Pull link above for release of safety catch (pic above in thread)...which is for a Charger should be dipped in rubber halfway thru the square end.....where your fingers would grab and pull.

Easy way to tell if your original parts are Phosphate or zinc is to take Muriatic acid (get at Lowes) dip, brush or drip some on the part in question.
If it fizzes right away then it's zinc, phosphate or Cadmium will not fizz at all....no matter how long you leave it in.

Think like Chrysler and assembly line....they black out the front rad support and surrounding areas and that is why they used Black zinc.
Phosphate is generally used for protection on parts for shelf life before they are installed, or for a paint primer like on a military tank parts.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010 - 11:52:29 AM »
Latches,safety catches and safety catch pulls were Black Zinc from the assembly line.
The Black Chromate faded over time and turned to a brown.
Mounting bolts were Gray Phosphate and screws were Clear zinc.
Pull link above for release of safety catch (pic above in thread)...which is for a Charger should be dipped in rubber halfway thru the square end.....where your fingers would grab and pull.

Easy way to tell if your original parts are Phosphate or zinc is to take Muriatic acid (get at Lowes) dip, brush or drip some on the part in question.
If it fizzes right away then it's zinc, phosphate or Cadmium will not fizz at all....no matter how long you leave it in.

Think like Chrysler and assembly line....they black out the front rad support and surrounding areas and that is why they used Black zinc.
Phosphate is generally used for protection on parts for shelf life before they are installed, or for a paint primer like on a military tank parts.

I don't agree with you. 

Read what Dave at ECS says.

Hi Troy,
I got your PM and have been asked this a few times so I thought would answer everyone in one swipe. The strut rod hardware/rubber are all NOS replacements. We did not need to replate any of the pieces that came in the kits. They are the same color BROWN as the hood latches, horn bolts, etc.... Once again the photos make them look different than what they actually look like in person. I also have over 200 pictures (just like the one below) documenting EVERY NOS part that was used on this car.
DW

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4501907&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

BTW, his car took top honors last year.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010 - 12:00:40 PM »
I think your all wrong! My latch was a reddish colour! FROM BANGING MY DARN HEAD ON IT! :stirpot: :poopoke: :smilielol:

Sorry I couldn't resist! :bigsmile:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline a440plus6

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010 - 12:58:12 PM »
Anyone with a hood latch that is still bolted to their core support and aint been messed with can easily unbolt it and still see it's black zinc on the back side.
As I said...the black dye exposed fades to brown.
Same with safety catch where it bolts to hood.
NOS (over the counter) parts are not always what they used on the assembly line as far as finish.