Author Topic: Leaking Master Cylinder? Rebuild it? Replace Master Cylinder and Booster?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

Are you better off to replace all or use a rebuild kit?

Both Discs and Drums seem OK for Leaks.
No Leaks inside firewall inside the car.
There are Leaks down the Booster and popped the cap on the master cylinder and the primary side (Rear Reservoir) was down lots.

Are Napa Parts good? They have a new made Master cylinder and a rebuilt Booster for a 440 and Disc/Drum.

Thanks

Offline Supercuda

NAPA parts are fine, and the availability of a complete setup makes replacement virtually troublefree. The only drawback is the loss of date-coded, original parts. This is only an issue if you desire originality. Option I would use is the replacement of the worn parts, and keep the old ones just in case.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Rebuilt MC may be a crap shot...the one from NAPA I received has issues, 1st it was a style for a later model, the top although painted was pitted badly, one of the line connections was stripped.    Even though it actually cost more I rebuilt the one that was on the car as there were no issues with it...  The new ones are not a bad option IMO if your not doing a concours restoration but I'd save the old one for some day if it is correct.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
if ti works ok now & you can get a kit rebuilding it is easy to do
or just buy a rebuilt one & install it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Justins72

We are learning general brakes and leaking master cylinders In school right now (wyotech). The rear part of the master cylinder resivor deals with the front brakes. It sounds lime you might have an external leak somewhere in the front due to the onside being down a lot. What does the pedal feel like when coming to a stop? If it stops fine at a light or sign and while the brakes are applied if the pedal continues to slowly move down then that would be a leak in the master cylinder, primary cup seal to be exact. I would carefully check all lines,hoses, the metering valve first

The outside of the master cylinder is somewhat wet/damp with brake fluid, an oily look,  as when you put your gloved hand underneath it, it's wet. You can see where the brake fluid ran down the Booster. Also some peeling, bubbled paint on the Booster/MC.

It still feels normal when braking, no pulling.
When you pump the brakes with the engine off, I'd say after 2-3 pumps the pedal gets stiff or hard to move, pretty much like any other car with PB.

Happened to notice it when doing the oil change and other routine checks.

Thanks for all the replies.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010 - 03:36:56 PM by 1970 RT Challenger 1970 »

Offline Justins72

Were you able to see any cracks by the empty resivor? There are only a couple places a master cylinder can leak. Either there's a crack, the seal behind were the rod goes into to master cylinder (behind were it bolts to the booster),the resivor cap if the fluid got hot enough to boil and the seal was bad, or were the lines attach to it. If it's leaking from the back then it can be rebuilt, if its crack then needs to be replaced.

Offline Justins72

But from what I have read it most likely needs to be replaced.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Sometimes the gasket on top isn't held down tight enough by the small rod.I've pulled them off and bent them down to apply more pressure sometimes. They will leak if over full. Make sure the locating tabs are in place on the gasket too.  NAPA is fine. Beats Chunker.  I need to replace mine too.  :icon16:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Justins72

Above poster is correct, just to add never fill the resivor to full needs room for expansion when it absorbs condensation. When you fill it leave a 1/4" from the top.

Re: Leaking Master Cylinder? Rebuild it? Replace Master Cylinder and Booster?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010 - 09:56:52 PM »
Sometimes the gasket on top isn't held down tight enough by the small rod.I've pulled them off and bent them down to apply more pressure sometimes. They will leak if over full. Make sure the locating tabs are in place on the gasket too.  NAPA is fine. Beats Chunker.  I need to replace mine too.  :icon16:

I got a friend to pump the brakes with the engine running while I watched the master cylinder. Brake fluid ran down the sides of the master cylinder from below the cover. I tightened up the spring over 3 trys, and it might be fixed, but there may be another cause.
How much play should there be on the master cylinder lid or cover when it is sitting on the master cylinder without the spring on? - as I have about 1/4" to 5/16" when you move the cover front to back and left to right. I think the cover is oversize and maybe from a bigger master cylinder?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010 - 10:00:03 PM by 1970 RT Challenger 1970 »

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010 - 09:27:33 AM »
Your cover sounds about right. These were routinely sloppy in fit, and this is because they needed to be easy and quick to install. Later m/c covers were designed to address the "spillage" that occurs as the brake fluid splashes around in the m/c. The later Chrysler reservoirs have tight-fitting, threaded caps. Later GM reservoirs have tight-fitting, snap-on covers (real messy to remove!). Best practice is to leave the reservoir low enough that it doesn't splash as high in the reservoir, keeping splash and spillage to a minimum.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010 - 11:59:33 AM »
How high from the top of the reservoir would you fill it. On the back reservoir it's 1/2" from the top and at the front reservoir it's 1/4" from the top.

Who sells correct Boosters and Master Cylinders for 1970?

I see Jim's Auto Parts has them. Summit has a Generic type and Billet Aluminum from SSBC. Yearone.
Are the Raybestos M.C. pretty decent? What about rebuilt Cardone Boosters?

Anyone else sell them?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010 - 12:10:50 PM by 1970 RT Challenger 1970 »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010 - 04:25:01 PM »
1/4" from the top is fine for the brake fluid. I just want to ask if you have replaced the rubber gasket under the cover? Maybe it's old? It took me a couple of tries with messing with that spring on the lid to get mine not to leak.     :pullinghair:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010 - 04:36:31 PM »
Thanks ,I'll give that a try as well - replacing the rubber gasket.