Author Topic: Lower control arm bushings  (Read 3531 times)

Offline sadil340

Re: Lower control arm bushings
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010 - 08:53:45 AM »
I'm not completely sure but I think it was $40 to have the bushings replaced (plus parts). It was getting late in the restoration and I didn't have the time to gear up to do it myself. I'm sure it would have been more cost effective to go with a DIY solution...
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline mjb765

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010 - 01:56:58 PM »
$40 with the arms off of the car......I wonder how much for someone to do the whole job?

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010 - 02:02:13 PM »
$40 with the arms off of the car......I wonder how much for someone to do the whole job?

Thats not a bad price for that job. No idea about cost of doing the whole thing. But the removing and reinstalling is going to be a lot of labor time. Labor = $$$

If you can do the work, you can save quite a bit I would think.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline purple1

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010 - 02:10:19 PM »
Oh yeah... Don't forget the cost of a front end alignment. Thats also why I recomend doing all the front end parts at once. Every time you have to change front end parts an alignment is needed.

Dave

Offline mjb765

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010 - 04:05:14 PM »
I know...but the rest of the front end looks tight.

Offline purple1

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010 - 04:53:06 PM »
I know...but the rest of the front end looks tight.

About 4 years ago I was kinda thinking just like you are now. After going ahead and pulling the trigger on the whole front end. I am so glad I did. I know its all done and done right. Remember at least some of it is 40 year old parts.

Dave

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010 - 07:40:21 PM »
The problem some people have had with using a poly lower bushing is that the LCA can move rearwards off the spindle.
Mine were easy to install, with the outer sleeve in, and have not moved rearwards. Wouldn't the torsion bars keep the LCA in place. They cannot move rearwards as they are retianed by those circlips in the tranny x-member.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010 - 04:57:47 AM »
Mine were easy to install, with the outer sleeve in, and have not moved rearwards. Wouldn't the torsion bars keep the LCA in place. They cannot move rearwards as they are retianed by those circlips in the tranny x-member.

That was my argument too but apparently not. I am told that on some cars there is play between the torsion bar end and the LCA pivot. So the LCA can slide about on the bush.

Like you I have not found any sign of this happening on my Ebody. But a couple of my friends that race B and A body cars tell me they have found this and there was also some discussion on Moparts about it some years ago.

There was enough concern for several of the suspension kit suppliers to stop supplying a poly LCA bushing. For a while it was tough to find one. But they seem to be coming back again.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010 - 09:55:36 AM »
I don't believe that is a real concern, and, if it was, it would not matter rubber or poly :)

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010 - 07:09:20 PM »
I won't go back to the urethane, Mine split and screwed them self's forward.
The rubber lowers are so thin I can't see why I would want to install bushings that can't withstand urban roads.
Rubber lowers, all else seems good for the Thane.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010 - 09:18:07 AM »
I've never had any issues using poly in the lowers in about a dozen different cars. Of course, I've always used PST kits and not the more popular Prothane stuff, so that may be a difference. I also have never encountered the excessively thick strut rod bushings that can cause lower control arm issues as well when using poly, but plenty of other people have.