Author Topic: Dust dust and more dust  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Bluemonster71RT

Dust dust and more dust
« on: August 29, 2010 - 06:16:00 PM »
I was putting on the high build primer and all of the sudden there is dust all over the primer. There was verry little when I put the epoxy on so I don't know where it all came from.  I made sure I took extra care to make sure my garage was a clean as possable.  So is it the end of the world? as in wait till it drys and re-sand or just put the other 2 coats on and it will be fine after final sanding. And what else can I do to make sure this doesnt happen when I put color on?
1971 Challenger RT 383 4spd

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Dust dust and more dust
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010 - 06:28:06 PM »
Did you blow out all the body filler dust real well from the car prior?

I find that volume of air is better at cleaning the car and areas better than Psi.
Before any primer or paint work; what I hear works best is a leaf blower. I use an electric 4" pipe outlet Black and Decker unit. Then follow it with air tip over body insuring any pinholes/scratches are cleaned out prior to priming. Last: A light spray water down on drive way under car catches any particles.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bluemonster71RT

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010 - 07:30:27 PM »
I used my blow gun. Didn't think of the leaf blower. I also misted the floor. However I wonder if it came from the celling in the garage?

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010 - 08:32:49 PM »
I used my blow gun. Didn't think of the leaf blower. I also misted the floor. However I wonder if it came from the celling in the garage?

Probably did.

Ever go up and look at top of wood beams? If your dryer in is in the garage like most people have, it only aggrivates the problem more so. Garage where I am working at gets filthy every month just from the gardeners blowing the driveway.

I'd teach them but I can't speak Spanish.  :lol2:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010 - 08:39:14 PM »
Check this out also:

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Paint-Booth-in-Your-Garage

But be wary about your fans. You need to use one that won't be a liability to create ignition to the paint vapors in the garage. How you set up the garage can create safety measures for you.  Use common sense, safety, and take precautions. http://autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11162
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bluemonster71RT

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010 - 08:42:10 PM »
I'd teach them but I can't speak Spanish.  :lol2:

LOL I have that same language issue my self.
However I lucked out abit as the dust wasn't in the primer and came off with a tac cloth. But then the bugs came :banghead: I sware that they waited for me to start spraying. I didn't see any all day then blamo. LOL

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010 - 02:41:40 AM »
after all those hours I`d take it into a pro paint booth to paint it. Will save you a bunch of headaches  :2thumbs:  I will cost you a lot more if you have to repaint it.  :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline Bluemonster71RT

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010 - 05:31:04 PM »
after all those hours I`d take it into a pro paint booth to paint it. Will save you a bunch of headaches  :2thumbs:  I will cost you a lot more if you have to repaint it.  :2cents:

Thats where I started and all bad things happened. Thats why I am doing it myself. I didn't want to but now I have to. I just do have the cash to bring it some where. Seems to me that the words Mopar and E-body adds a extra $1000 or 2.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010 - 06:05:15 PM »
what happened in the booth?  didn`t get that part of the story...   can`t you rent a booth and paint it yourself?  I was lucky enough to find a painter that would paint my car without doing the prep himself. I did all bodywork, paint insides of panels and jambs, took tha car to the paintshop, masked and degreased it. All he had to do was paint it.
*** Bart ***

Offline Bluemonster71RT

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010 - 07:45:55 PM »
The short story is that 8 years ago I was having my car restored at a shop that was one of the best around. Things were going well and one day the owner of the shop took his life and I basicly got my car back in boxes and had to go through 4 years of probate court to get some of my money back. Which brings me to today. I have done things myself that I never wanted to do myself or atleast to this car. I never even touched a spray gun till last fall when I put epoxy on my roof and hood.  So having only a idea of what to do from reading posts on this site and books and youtube, renting a booth to do it myself would still be a challenge as I would be still lost in the woods so to speak. I only have $3700 left from replacing all the lost parts and parts that I already bought. I still have much to do and that $3700 isn't going to cover someone painting the car and getting me the rest of the stuff I need to finish. 

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010 - 08:08:46 PM »
I recommend doing some practice painting on a hood or trunk first if you do end up painting it yourself. Some helpful hints on this page about primers and painting.

You can download the free ebook
at http://www.autobody101.com/downloadhere.php
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bluemonster71RT

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010 - 11:10:46 PM »
Thanks TC

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010 - 02:57:10 AM »
wow, that is a crappy story for sure...
I`ve painted a car in a garage once and made a booth from foil. At least that will prevent dust from the ceiling  falling onto the car. it`s also very important to put on your masking tape and paper as straight as possible. Any folds will trap dust.  I think your biggest challenge will be evenly spraying the colorcoat. that is very important since the clear will work like a magnifying glass, especially with the metallic colors.
Remember most flaws will polish out, like a bit of dust and runners, but make sure you won`t get any mosquitos in your booth, they make a huge mess  :22yikes:  and don`t be affraid to get some paint on the surface, a runner will buff out but you won`t get any shine when there is not enough paint on it.
no experienced members from your area who can come over and help you?
*** Bart ***