Author Topic: Need a good dealer for rear quarter skins  (Read 5459 times)

Offline alphabuck

• Pics of my project
Re: Need a good dealer for rear quarter skins
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010 - 06:08:20 PM »
my one year project became a 3 year project because as i started removing bad metal and parts i just couldnt see spending a huge amount of time to install inferior stuff.

i learned my lesson with my trunk floor pan and extensions early on.  i bought the 2 piece trunk pan and those generic extensions you see all over the place.  i probably consumed an extra 10 hours of my life screwing around with that junk when i shoulda just stepped up and bought the good stuff. 

i sure would hate to spend 100s of hours laboring on something and then look down my bodyline and say " man i should have spent an extra 200 dollars on those quarter skins "

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010 - 08:33:16 PM »
Ok. Here's the deal for everyone that doesn't understand it. I DON'T HAVE THE FREAKING MONEY RIGHT NOW!!!!! THE CAR IS IN THE SHOP AS WE SPEAK, AND I CAN'T AFFORD THE PRICIER PANELS AND THE COST FOR LABOR.

So quit giving me the advice to buy the pricier stuff. Because quite simply, there is no way it is going to happen. No way at all. I can't afford it. Get over it. Your advice is not helping at all. Feel like sending $200 my way? That would help. Advice doesn't.

my one year project became a 3 year project because as i started removing bad metal and parts i just couldnt see spending a huge amount of time to install inferior stuff.

My project has already pushed itself back from a 5 year project to probably a 7 year project. If it hits the point where it is a 10 year project. I am selling it. I won't spend that much time of my life on a car without even having the option of driving it, til it is done. If it comes to that point, I will sell it, and buy something already done.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010 - 08:36:18 PM by aris_unlimited »
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010 - 11:51:42 PM »
Well as I recall, you asked for a good seller of quarter skins. We're just trying to help and let you know from our own misery what the best options are. :dunno:. I also personally think you owe Dave an apology for your comments about being way overpriced. Your comparison of parts is not evenly matched and it is malicious to say when there is no merit in the statement.

Now I'm off my high horse, I Do wish you luck in your resto.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010 - 11:39:59 AM »
Well as I recall, you asked for a good seller of quarter skins. We're just trying to help and let you know from our own misery what the best options are. :dunno:. I also personally think you owe Dave an apology for your comments about being way overpriced. Your comparison of parts is not evenly matched and it is malicious to say when there is no merit in the statement.

Now I'm off my high horse, I Do wish you luck in your resto.

I did ask for a good dealer of rear quarters, because I assumed the price couldn't get much higher than year one's price was. My mistake on that one.

As for apologizing to Dave. Sorry About the overpriced comment. They were $150 more than year ones pieces and I was kind of shocked.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010 - 12:14:01 PM »
Also should be noted that while you may have negotiated a price for installing the quarters with your body guy but i can guarantee that once he receives those skins from Year One one of two things it going to happen 1) the quote will go up because he will realize how much extra effort will be involved in trying to use inferior parts or 2) he will keep the quote the same but the final installed work will look bad. I understand building a car on a budget. I am 26 years old and have done it several times. In fact I am doing it right now on my plum crazy purple A66 Challenger that needs a lot of metal work (front frame rails, floor from firewall to backseat, hood, passenger fender, grille, valances, etc). And every time that I have cut a corner on metal it has bit me in the long run and I end up having to redo it, usually at costs greatly exceeding the extra upfront cost of doing it right the first time. People here are trying to get you to spend extra money just to support a vendor here, they are trying to help you from making a big mistake many of us have made over the years.

I'll give you an example of the quality of those quarter panels. Back in 2002 I put my 72 Challenger into a guardrail on the freeway and caved in the passenger quarter panel. I took the car to a body shop my god father owned and he had me order a new quarter skin. I ordered one from Year One and when it arrived, my god father decided not to use it because he said it was cheaper, easier to repair the caved in factory panel. $150 may sound like a lot of money, but it pennies compared to the long term aggravation.

At the end of the day its your car and your money, but I would hate to see you get the car "finished" and hate the final outcome because you nickel and dimed the body.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010 - 12:38:38 PM »
Also should be noted that while you may have negotiated a price for installing the quarters with your body guy but i can guarantee that once he receives those skins from Year One one of two things it going to happen 1) the quote will go up because he will realize how much extra effort will be involved in trying to use inferior parts or 2) he will keep the quote the same but the final installed work will look bad. I understand building a car on a budget. I am 26 years old and have done it several times. In fact I am doing it right now on my plum crazy purple A66 Challenger that needs a lot of metal work (front frame rails, floor from firewall to backseat, hood, passenger fender, grille, valances, etc). And every time that I have cut a corner on metal it has bit me in the long run and I end up having to redo it, usually at costs greatly exceeding the extra upfront cost of doing it right the first time. People here are trying to get you to spend extra money just to support a vendor here, they are trying to help you from making a big mistake many of us have made over the years.

I'll give you an example of the quality of those quarter panels. Back in 2002 I put my 72 Challenger into a guardrail on the freeway and caved in the passenger quarter panel. I took the car to a body shop my god father owned and he had me order a new quarter skin. I ordered one from Year One and when it arrived, my god father decided not to use it because he said it was cheaper, easier to repair the caved in factory panel. $150 may sound like a lot of money, but it pennies compared to the long term aggravation.

At the end of the day its your car and your money, but I would hate to see you get the car "finished" and hate the final outcome because you nickel and dimed the body.

Well said John and I agree.

Back when the Goodmark quarter panels first came out, I bought one to replace on my car. Every attaching area on the perimeters had to get some type of metal work to get the fit corrected. AMD's weren't available then at the time I bought it. Get the AMD full quarter.  :2cents:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010 - 08:45:24 AM »
Ok first off. The extra $150 was for partial rear quarters (fulls would probably cost me another $400 or so), which in case anyone is keeping count I STILL CAN'T AFFORD. For hells sake, it's like you think if you make the point enough times I will suddenly find a money tree or win the lotto or some crap like that.

You're not getting it. The car is at the guys place right now. He has started work on it. We are waiting for the rear quarters to come in so he can finish up the body. And no amount of wanting is going to change the fact that I can't afford pricier panels.

So just let it go. All you're doing at this point is bugging me. And maybe you don't realize why that is but it's quite simple. You keep telling me I need to do something one way, and there is absolutely 0% chance that it's going to happen, even if I wanted it too. So all your advice is useless at this point, and getting a little repetitive.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010 - 08:59:37 AM by aris_unlimited »

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010 - 10:40:29 AM »
Oh Oh, somebody's getting grumpy.  :o :o

Lighten up dude, we were just tryin to help. :grinno:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010 - 10:55:39 AM »
Oh Oh, somebody's getting grumpy.  :o :o

Lighten up dude, we were just tryin to help. :grinno:

That may be the case. But when I have to explain 3-4 times that I can't afford something it starts to become a little bit too much.

I mean honestly things haven't changed, so why keep telling me to do what it's impossible for me to be able to do at this point.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010 - 02:24:11 PM »
Well its clear you aren't "getting it" so good luck and I'll bet you end up selling the car because it turns out poorly.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010 - 03:44:39 AM »
Well its clear you aren't "getting it" so good luck and I'll bet you end up selling the car because it turns out poorly.

Wow and they called me grumpy. Way to be a downer and say something crappy like that.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010 - 03:09:13 PM »
I`m working on my car with zero funds from day 1.  I`ll get her done.  There`s one thing you have to keep in mind though,  there`s not much in this world for free, so you either pay for work done or pay for learning skills so you can tackle problems yourself.  If both of them are missing you won`t get a project like this done.
Also, this place gets you the best help/ advice/ tips & techniques you can get , for free, on every part of your project, from the most difficult to the most stupid question.... no other place like it...  :working:  :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010 - 03:15:30 PM by dutch »
*** Bart ***

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010 - 03:42:20 PM »
Hey Airis_unlimited, Have you tried to call member AZNICK here?  He is a vender and not but a days drive away from you. I believe he would be close to the price you need for skins. So there's still a chance you may get this issue behind you.  Best of luck

Offline 1970RTSE

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010 - 06:59:00 PM »
That may be the case. But when I have to explain 3-4 times that I can't afford something it starts to become a little bit too much.

I mean honestly things haven't changed, so why keep telling me to do what it's impossible for me to be able to do at this point.

Dude, if your quarters are that shot, and you have no money, then restoring an e-body may not be the best project.  But the advice given is based on the collective experience of everyone here.  Good luck.

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010 - 07:32:07 PM »
of course full quarters would be best and some are better than others,,but we all have a budget ,so skins may be your choice,,and when i replaced mine i looked at goodmark and found a local supplier ..a dodge car dealership and they order a lot and i waited until there order was filled with there needs and they didn't charge any shipping,,saved a ton with no shipping cost,,maybe you can find something like that and not pay shipping cost,,this afforded me to buy full quarters,,but skins are cheaper so u might find that even,,there are plenty of dealerships and restro shops that order from somebody and can order bulk to save shipping cost,,worked for me anyways,,, everybody on here loves these cars an give advice best they can,,no reason to get upset even if it feels like a recording in   advice ,,everybody on here is just giving there opinion don't take it personal like its there way or the highway,its just not true,,fix your car the best way and affordable way u can,,there are many ways to save money,,and i wish u the best on your car and hope u make it the way u need,,i waited 20 yrs or so before i could complete mine and still needs a lot more to finish,,but it is a joy to drive and and pleasurable to work on,,best of luck with yours,,and i thank everybody that gives me advice whether i follow it or not,,because they took time to reply,,i have read your other post were u might stop posting,,u shouldn't stop nobody on here wishes anybody to leave,,its just to share knowledge
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage