Author Topic: VINYL TOP FROM HELL!  (Read 2427 times)

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

• Coupe Custom Accessories
VINYL TOP FROM HELL!
« on: August 31, 2010 - 05:10:29 PM »
Ok,
  2 months ago I had the roof re-skinned on my challenger. The guy did a wonderful job. That was where my luck ended. After 9 months of searching for the correct green vinyl top I had my interior guy install it. Well everything looked clean and good to start. But after 2 months of freeway driving the glue failed. The top started to raise off the body and bubbly around the rear quarters.
   I took it back to him and he said it was because the Glue in California sucks. OK I agree, but that doesn't take away from the fact I paid to have it work not work for 2 months.
   So He tells me he will reglue the top but I have to pull the window trim. I have had my body buy look at it but says he doesn't know how to remove it.
   What is so fricken hard about removing the window trim and why is everyone so lost when it comes to how to get it off. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this stuff off without destroying it?

THANKS!!  :bricks1:

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
Re: VINYL TOP FROM HELL!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010 - 05:27:21 PM »
biggest thing is to get a good tool to get under the molding to release the clip carefully. allot of guys wont or will tell you that if the molding gets bent they are not responsible. If the clips are old and break your kinda screwed also then faced with pulling the window to replace the clips. it the water fall affect unfortunately. Still sounds like not enough adhesive was applied.

did you ever send back the other top clip set the didnt work?? # 1000098
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline cwestra

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010 - 06:27:54 PM »
Ok,
  2 months ago I had the roof re-skinned on my challenger. The guy did a wonderful job. That was where my luck ended. After 9 months of searching for the correct green vinyl top I had my interior guy install it. Well everything looked clean and good to start. But after 2 months of freeway driving the glue failed. The top started to raise off the body and bubbly around the rear quarters.
   I took it back to him and he said it was because the Glue in California sucks. OK I agree, but that doesn't take away from the fact I paid to have it work not work for 2 months.
   So He tells me he will reglue the top but I have to pull the window trim. I have had my body buy look at it but says he doesn't know how to remove it.
   What is so fricken hard about removing the window trim and why is everyone so lost when it comes to how to get it off. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this stuff off without destroying it?

THANKS!!  :bricks1:
If he says he's going to re-glue it, what's he going to do differently this time to prevent the same thing from happening.  What ever it is, sounds like he should have done that the first time. 
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010 - 06:37:45 PM »
If he says he's going to re-glue it, what's he going to do differently this time to prevent the same thing from happening.  What ever it is, sounds like he should have done that the first time.

The car has now been sitting for 4 weeks just waiting for the trim to be pulled. In this time i have walked with 2-3 different body guys who all say the same thing. California glue sucks and this is the way of things. Someone has to use out of state glue on the down low in order for the top to be properly adhered. I know a guy who can do it properly. Which was the same guy i was going to take it to in the beginning. Trouble is we is not willing to reuse the old vinyl. So i have to replace it. That is like 350 if I can find it then another 400 to have it put on. (note: It took me over 9 months to get the vinyl the first time from legendary.) 

Dave: Shoot. I think I did, i will check tonight because I would really feel like a jerk if I didn't send them back.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010 - 08:48:27 PM »
Nate,

no problem on the hardware, check when you can, On the top which one did you get. i have been getting the tops with in a week or two from Legendary, let me know if i can help you with that.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
71 FM3 Challenger RT
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010 - 07:48:59 AM »
I had the same thing happen to me.  I had to pay a guy $200 for the repair but I was happy that the top didn't get torn before I was able to get it fixed. 

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010 - 08:21:56 AM »
A lot of cars have windowtrim that has been fastened with glue or silicone to stay in place. :banghead: :swear:
That's sometime a reason why people don't want to take the responsibility for removing them without damages.

Per
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010 - 11:08:38 AM »
Have a out of state buddy send you some real glue & DIY.....
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010 - 12:03:52 PM »
The top would have to be cleaned really good to get all of the bad glue off so when put back down it would look right and have a chance at sticking with good glue.  I wish you the best and hope for the best too.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010 - 02:23:05 PM »
Dave: I found the clips and need to know where to send them. I feel like a jerk, you have been so nice and I spaced on getting those back to you. I am looking for the correct green vinyl which I got from legendary to begin with. I need to know price and availability. I'm not sure I need to replace it yet but I will if I have to. SUCK!  :walkaway:

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010 - 06:32:16 PM »
I sent you PM to call me.I have a easy solution to fix it.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010 - 07:20:01 PM »
Dave: I found the clips and need to know where to send them. I feel like a jerk, you have been so nice and I spaced on getting those back to you. I am looking for the correct green vinyl which I got from legendary to begin with. I need to know price and availability. I'm not sure I need to replace it yet but I will if I have to. SUCK!  :walkaway:

i'll check on the price if i get into the office in the morning if not on tuesday. As for the clip kit dont sweat it, send them

Roseville Chrysler
25800 gratiot ave
Roseville, mi 48066

thanks
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
71 FM3 Challenger RT
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010 - 07:27:08 PM »
Looked like I am screwed  :22yikes:  I just walked out to check on the car as I was passing by I noticed that their is a large glob of tar on the roof. For the last 3 days we have been having the roof on the building redone and some jackass dripped a blob of tar dead center on the top. I am out for blood. I am being told they have insurance. I hope it will cover the replacement. I will not put up with a new top with a very visible black stain about the size of a dime.

:villagers:

Dave, if you could let me know how much for a replacement. I need to start getting something together to submit to their insurance company.

Just new at this. Is that something I could submit to my insurance company? to go after the roofer? The car has full coverage with Allstate.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010 - 07:33:32 PM »
sure can. make them pay out of pocket, the roofers should be liscensed adn insured. I'll look up the top, do you remeber which part number you ordered last time?
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
71 FM3 Challenger RT
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab

Offline carguybradd

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010 - 08:16:34 PM »
I'll be replacing my top soon as well - thanks for the heads-up on the glue!

Anyone know where to get the good stuff, and will they ship it to Ca?
1970 Challenger Western Sport Special
(B7 blue,white top,blue int.,318/904 - for now)
1973 Duster
(B5 blue,black & white int.,340/727)
1966 Chevy C-10 short/fleetside
1965 VW Beetle
2006 Grand Caravan SXT (for the wife...)