Magnumforce vs Reillymotorsports

Author Topic: Magnumforce vs Reillymotorsports  (Read 15244 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Magnumforce vs Reillymotorsports
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010 - 09:16:48 AM »
Interesting thread. Some good information and opinions being tossed out there. Please keep the info coming, just remain civil... Thanks....    :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010 - 09:49:25 AM »
I did snap a sway bar mount. ::)

Sorry ... Didn't mean to be uncivil.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010 - 09:51:43 AM by IMNCARN82 »
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010 - 09:55:49 AM »
I did snap a sway bar mount. ::)

Sorry ... Didn't mean to be uncivil.

My post wasn't directed at any one in particular...   :grinno:  Carry on.....    :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010 - 10:11:16 AM »
You are absolutely right, the frame will fail, not the actual unit.  The actual unit will fall out of the car. 

Same olde, same olde.  Just because there hasn't been a failure yet, doesn't mean it won't happen.  Just telling by the looking at it I can tell it can fail.  Anyone who know anything about the Mopar front end can tell you that.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring facts and going on conjecture.  And you're right, I did say upper spring mount, and the AlterK does not use it.  He bypasses that and has his own mount, which is good for bypassing the issue, but adds to the possibility of front frame failure by not distributing energy

Ehrenberg is just a vocal member of the faults with the AlterK.  Ask anyone who works on Mopars day in and day out and they will all say the same thing.  The front framerails that the AlterK bolts too are not meant to take the stress from the suspension the way it is designed.  But IMNCARN82 is absolutely right, it isn't the AlterK that will fail, it will be the frame rails that fail.

Hey, it is your guys car, if you feel safe it in, so be it.  I'd get one in a heartbeat, after I redid the front frame rails or was building a drag car or dedicated Auto-x er that won't see alot of streets.  It is a wonderful setup.
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010 - 01:47:24 PM »
Ryan, how would you strengthen the front frame rails then?
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010 - 03:56:17 PM »
This guy Devil is a real joke when it comes to RMS.  Bashing them and their product on forums any chance he can get and yet has no actual physical proof that their system has failed anyone at all PERIOD.  Can you post your engineering degree for all of us to see what your credentials are....Oh wait that's right you don't have one.

Everyone knows if just one small part of the RMS system failed it would have been plastered all over the internet by now.  Funny how doing a Google search right now turns up nothing at all.  Where are all these failures?  Does RMS offer them hush money to keep quiet?

I see cars every week driven to car shows and cruises with RMS suspensions.  I just don't understand how they can drive them without any incidents on the road week after week, mile after mile if they are strictly made for off road use only.  Devil better make sure he stays far away from all the RMS equipped cars on the Power Tours.  We would not want one to fail while they are passing you on the highway.

Now you say the actual unit will fall out of the car.   :lol:  Did you ever think of writing for a comedian.  That line is hilarious.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010 - 04:09:57 PM »
Before jumping in to bed with either one, or someones else for that matter, what is the goal, budget, constraints, expectations, etc. The more detail the better. Is it just simply a better feel for cruising? Are you a street racer? Do you plan on racing in sanctioned competition and with what organization? Stuff like that help get answers that will point you in a more specified direction.

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010 - 04:12:13 PM »

I just want a street cruiser occasionally a qtr mile romp is all
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010 - 08:13:41 PM »
Before going with rms I did a ton of research.online mostly. I didn't know what to do.this forum is the best.hp2 here knows more than most and really helped me out. He asked the same questions to me too and gave it to me straight. In the end.. I went big. It's a decision I've never regretted. The car handles better.that's just my opinion though. If you want something different.like I did. It was the best choice.it made my car more of what I wanted.  :dunno:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010 - 08:28:55 PM »
Before going with rms I did a ton of research.online mostly. I didn't know what to do.this forum is the best.hp2 here knows more than most and really helped me out. He asked the same questions to me too and gave it to me straight. In the end.. I went big. It's a decision I've never regretted. The car handles better.that's just my opinion though. If you want something different.like I did. It was the best choice.it made my car more of what I wanted.  :dunno:

So you went with rms then, what was the deciding factor for you anyway. I can't wait to get mines I am really excited
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010 - 08:54:53 PM »
This guy Devil is a real joke when it comes to RMS.  Bashing them and their product on forums any chance he can get and yet has no actual physical proof that their system has failed anyone at all PERIOD.  Can you post your engineering degree for all of us to see what your credentials are....Oh wait that's right you don't have one.

Everyone knows if just one small part of the RMS system failed it would have been plastered all over the internet by now.  Funny how doing a Google search right now turns up nothing at all.  Where are all these failures?  Does RMS offer them hush money to keep quiet?

I see cars every week driven to car shows and cruises with RMS suspensions.  I just don't understand how they can drive them without any incidents on the road week after week, mile after mile if they are strictly made for off road use only.  Devil better make sure he stays far away from all the RMS equipped cars on the Power Tours.  We would not want one to fail while they are passing you on the highway.

Now you say the actual unit will fall out of the car.   :lol:  Did you ever think of writing for a comedian.  That line is hilarious.

So instead of adding anything useful to the post, you decide to try and insult me.  That is the tactic of a 7 year old and very sad to see a adult try it.   :roflsmiley:

You sound very intelligent spewing nothing of any facts.  Just "googled" it and didn't come up with anything, probably didn't go past the first page.

Did you read any of the previous posts?  Or did you just jump to the end?  How I actually like the setup, how it does work well in Mopars and I think it is a good upgrade, but the cars front frame rails need to be strengthened.  I wouldn't mount it to a stock Mopar front end, it doesn't have the strength for long term.  It is actually the front frame rails that would fail, not the setup.  It is because of the way the setup transfers the ALL of the energy of the front suspension through just those 4 K-member bolts, where they were never meant to take that sort of stress.  The front K-member bolts had one job, to keep the K-member in place along with the engine.  It was never meant to take additional stress from the full front suspension.  That's why the torsion bar was used, to transfer that energy back and distribute it to the rear cross member.

I don't go all over the place preaching about the faults in the design, I just inform people where I can, when I notice it.

And I really could care less, if there has been a documented failure or not.  There just has to be one for someone to get hurt.  And I'm trying to give people all the information and their options. 

I have a Minor in Engineering from the Northern Illinois School of Engineering.  Hell, a first year engineering student could understand the flaws with the setup.

And I have ridden in cars with RMS setups, you're right.  They are nice.  Would I own one for a street cruiser, no way without modifications or in special use vehicles.

Ryan, how would you strengthen the front frame rails then?

That's not that hard, just like you do with anything else you strengthen, you would weld in re-enforcement plates, gussets, etc... to make that area stronger.  It gives the area more mass to distribute the energy too.  I know one mopar builder that went as far as cutting out the original K-member bolt holes, make a little enclosure around the bolt holes with gussets and re-enforcement plates, then welding it back into the frame rails with additional gussets and re-enforcements to make sure that the front end was safe. 

For the money is is a great setup, makes Mopars handle better for a bit less then other setups.  Just make sure you do the whole package, don't just bolt it in and go.
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline abodyjoe

• Get It On....
    • A-Body Joe's
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010 - 09:52:54 PM »
The Reilly stuff can fail, it might not have yet, but it can.  Just like the Hindenburg flew tons of flights back and fourth before it burned to the ground, his stuff is not meant for a daily driver in long term.  I've talked to experts that build Mopars everyday at not one will put one in for a daily cruiser because it uses points that were never meant to take the stress of the ENTIRE car's front suspension.  That's what the torsions bars are there for, to distribute the energy to the rear of the vehicle.  If you want to use it in the front end of your vehicle, you need to significantly strengthen everything.

If he said he will pay for any failures, GET IT IN WRITING.  If your car wrecks, he'll be on the hook for it.  Just hope you are around to enjoy it.

are you serious?   i wonder sometimes where you get this crap from...   

The Reilly stuff can fail, it might not have yet, but it can.  Just like the Hindenburg flew tons of flights back and fourth before it burned to the ground,

lmao... you just described every part ever made..   so a torsion bar has never failed?

i think that RMS pulled the offroad use thing off their products...

That's what the torsions bars are there for, to distribute the energy to the rear of the vehicle.  If you want to use it in the front end of your vehicle, you need to significantly strengthen everything.

lmao...   i don't even have frame connectors on my car and have had absolutely no issues with a the alter-k being in my dart.   

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010 - 10:00:03 PM »
So what you may wish to say Ryan is, If your going to use an after-market front end such as xv alterktion or mf you may want to insure your frame is in good working order. And that some (not you) have reinforced it with gussets and braces maybe like the xv braces to stiffen up the font frame rails, there may be some added forces generated in that part of the car. Just to be on the safe side  :bigsmile:

IMO
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline abodyjoe

• Get It On....
    • A-Body Joe's
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010 - 10:03:29 PM »
Who makes the best suspension parts between Reillymotorsports and Magnumforce a buddy of mines says Magnumforce is crap does anyone else have firsthand experience with either

RMS by far..  if you go to most mopar forums and do a search you will find a ton of posts that guys have had all sorts of problems with the magnumforce set up.   poor fitment, poor geometry and even bad welds a while back.  haven't heard too much bad about the welds lately though.   plus the way the stock shock tower is used to support the weight of the car.  it will twist the frame over time.  they make a bar that goes from the firewall tot he frame that ties in the shock tower now but that is really just a band aide fix for a bad design..

i have yet to see anything negative about the RMS unit (well except for the back yard engineer devil).   all ya ever see is how great the customer service is, how nice the product fit and how great the car drives with the product in.

i've had the alter-k in my dart since 2006 i think it is and it is awesome.  the car drives like a modern car.  i grease the front end every spring and drive the hell out of it over the summer.   

ask around on the different mopar boards you'll  see which most recommend.

Offline abodyjoe

• Get It On....
    • A-Body Joe's
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010 - 10:13:55 PM »
Says right in the instructions for off road use only..

there are a million parts out there that say that.    mustang H-pipe wit no cats.   that going to fall off?   some carbs. say it.  that gonna fall off or burn the car down if its used on the street.   

oh and i believe mopar muscle put the alter-k in a b-body some time ago.   not sure if they finished the car or not yet.   talked to randy at carlisle a few years ago at the rms booth and he couldn't say enough good things about it..

dave from totally auto used it in the cuda he took on the power tour a couple years ago.   love it.  he couldn't say enough good things about it.  he says he will be using a bunch more of them in future projects.     

mopar themselves had a few cars on the power tour that were running the alter-k.