Author Topic: Seeking advice for my engine bay  (Read 6350 times)

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Re: Seeking advice for my engine bay
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010 - 07:30:47 PM »
for the fan shroud, my aftermarket radiator is 25.5" wide overall (not including the mounting flanges), and about 21" between the two side cores, and the fan blades are about 18" in diameter (more or less centered behing the rad)
Would the oem 26" shroud fit?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010 - 05:28:04 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010 - 05:28:58 PM »
bump

ne1?
I know its a tough question not knowing exactly what Ive got, but a good guess will help.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010 - 05:30:48 PM by tommyg29 »
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010 - 10:09:34 AM »
The fan shroud should fit, but you will probablyneed to make some brackets to mount it to the radiator and get it centered on the blades.  You may need to trim it depending on hose locations and things like that.  You could mark the blade locations on the radiator then pull and paint it and center the shroud on the blade locations and see what you would have to fabricate or trim.  If it is too much cutting or fabbing you could just pay the restocking fee and send the shroud back before you install it or mess it up.  I'm not sure I would bother with it personally.  Spray the radiator black, and it almost disappears into the surrounding mechanicals.   :2cents:
bump

ne1?
I know its a tough question not knowing exactly what Ive got, but a good guess will help.
Thanks.
** Shane **

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010 - 02:05:04 AM »
I like your engine compartment just the way it is.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010 - 11:42:44 PM »
thanks for all the advice. I changed out the regulator, and just installed a battery, and painted the master cylinder cover. Just general cleaning up, but no fan shroud. Thinking about painting the radiator, but I probably wont.
I think it looks a lot better now. I have sat and just stared at it a few times over the past couple days.
I do that   :working: :bigsmile::picture:

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010 - 12:20:56 AM »
Those changes look great.

What's with that red & green excess wiring looped all around?  If it were mine I'd eliminate the excess & wrap the red & green wires together with black tape.

Two PDB boosters' in '71.  One of them the whole thing (booster & mc) is black, including the master mounting studs & nuts.  The other is the gold cadish color.

So if you have the booster that's black your mc should all be black.  One of my pet peeves is the black booster & natural mc on "restored" to factory spec rides.   

With the wheels & tires you're running it's pretty much a modded look so a little bit of shiny stuff under the hood works imo.  :2cents:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010 - 12:22:38 AM by 472 R/T SE »
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010 - 01:04:22 AM »
I agree, a couple of those wires are for the msd setup, but I didnt think one of those looms would look right, but I'll get some ideas and try to clean that up. Was the factory tape the cloth type?

The booster is flat black, but the mc is kind of a slightly rusted iron looking color, and the cover was a silver color, not the goldish color Ive seen.
I didnt know about the two types, and if thats the case its an easy fix for me. Just painting the cover would help.
Is the cover a flat or glossy black finish?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010 - 01:09:46 AM by tommyg29 »

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010 - 01:40:33 AM »
The whole assembly is a shade of gloss black, how much I don't know.
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010 - 10:44:52 AM »
I like your engine compartment just the way it is.
:iagree:
but I also understand the need to monkey around and improve something all the time.
** Shane **

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010 - 10:57:23 AM »
I thought only 1970 disc brake cars had the booster/master assembly sprayed gloss black.  The power brake boosters in 71-74 should be zinc dichromate plated.(yellowish gold color)

I thought the master lids were supposed to use the same plating as the booster but recently, a few people have questioned that.  I have seen a few that were bare.   Since your car is not stock, you can do what ever you think looks best.  Since the booster is already black, you could just spray the lid gloss black and it would look decent.

I like the changes you've done.  That battery looks great.  The regulator is a nice touch too.  It looks a little cleaner then the generic aftermarket ones.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010 - 02:49:17 PM »
This is a pic I found online of another type booster. Is this the goldish booster youre talking about? I didnt think this type was original.
The second picture shows an original type rad hose and clamp which I also thought about doing but the bends in the repro hoses wont fit my setup. I know mine isnt original....but just trying to make mine a better tribute car.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010 - 02:59:13 PM »
btw, heres a cool picture I took that I just thought I'd share:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010 - 04:09:24 PM »
would look better if the speedo said 150....  :burnout:  :naughty:
great looking enginebay  :2thumbs:  I know you won`t , but I`d add the shroud.  Apart from the wiring, it looks sweet as is. :bigshades:
*** Bart ***

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010 - 04:19:22 PM »
If you have a "banded" style booster, I believe it should be plated.  The only banded boosters I've seen pics of that were black, were ones with a ribbed band. (I don't really know how to describe it...if the band is smooth with no other stamped detail to it, the booster is plated.) 

Even if you don't want to plate the booster, you can take it off and repaint it.  That will look better than what you have on there now.  You can also get some rust removing gell, and apply it to your master.  It will clean off the visable rust.  After that, you can clear it(it will still rust under the clear) or rub some oil on it.

Even if you don't have a 100% correct looking rad hose, you can still use the factory style clamp.   

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010 - 06:44:30 PM »
150mph? Are you crazy!?
Do you mean like this?