Author Topic: Radiator Question...(overheating)  (Read 1510 times)

Offline blk440cuda

Radiator Question...(overheating)
« on: September 06, 2010 - 09:37:42 PM »
I have a 1973 Cuda with a 440 that runs hot.  Does anyone know if the tranny cooler will prevent enough air to flow through the radiator if it is mounted in front of, but not directly to the radiator?  For what its worth, I recently installed a 180 thermosta, but I am afraid the small block radiator just isn't enough for my big block.  Any advice besides buying a new radiator, water wetter or a fan shroud???

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: Radiator Question...(overheating)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010 - 08:21:51 AM »
Trans cooler shouldn't affect the air flow much. Do you know if the rad is flowing coolant through it sufficiently? How big is the rad? Do you have coolant mixed with the water? what ratio coolant to water?
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010 - 03:33:17 PM »
You should always run a propper fitting fan shroud. And for around 225 bucks or so. a radiator shop can recore your radiator and give you more core flutes and bigger cooling fins if need be.  Timing and air/fuel mixtures will cause an engine to run hot if not set correctly

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010 - 04:28:30 PM »
As was mentioned, a fan shroud is a must. If this is a 26" radiator, you shouldn't have a problem, but I have a feeling you have something smaller. If you have AC, you definitely need a 26". The other thing is your fan. The more blades, the more air sucked thru. I have a six-blade, but they do make a seven blade fan. Water wetter is a cheap experiment if you want to try that.    :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline blk440cuda

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010 - 05:14:28 PM »
I do have the small block radiator, but I did install a radiator shroud, put in the water wetter, running a 50/50 mixture and have a six (maybe seven) blade flex fan. I do want to get the larger radiator but I was more curious if the cooler was blocking air flow.  As for the timing and air/fuel mixture, I will have to check that as well as maybe the rad cap itself.  Thanks for the help though.

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010 - 07:18:37 PM »
What's running hot? How Hot is hot for you? Don't be surprized if you go buy a crazy aluminum rad. and it still runs in the 200-210 range...I got one 440 that won't go under 200 and one that won't go over 190, Idling...

Both are standard bore engines, rad. shroud with clutch fans, both have electric "Helper" fans, one still runs hot..
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010 - 07:21:10 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline blk440cuda

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010 - 11:37:55 PM »
I have to get a gauge that will give me an accurate number, but I consider it hot when I have to pull over becuase coolant is coming out of the overflow container.  Thats with the heat on too, not that that does too much...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010 - 12:38:00 AM »
serouslly a shroud & a 6 or 7 blade cluch fan will have more effect on cooling , if it is still running hot you need a 3 core high effciency brass rad

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline DocMel

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010 - 05:14:23 PM »
What do you define as hot   190-220 isnt considered hot:   So if you are running in that area, no worries