Author Topic: Dynamatt or any other sound deadener  (Read 18265 times)

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
Re: Dynamatt or any other sound deadener
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010 - 12:24:27 AM »
And how did it work?????? :clapping:

Near as I can tell, it seems as though it will work just fine, I am also planning on putting it on the roof as well as under the dash where I can reach. Heck I might even do the rear seat divider panel and inside the doors before I'm done :roflsmiley:

It was 60 bux and some change for 3 rolls of stuff and one roll of tape. I figure another 2 rolls should do me.
Oh, and dont forget your laminate roller

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010 - 01:32:38 PM »
I bought a roll of the Frost King stuff recently from Lowes as well. However, I think it is lighter than most other dampeners and is a better thermal barrier than an acoustic one. The heavy aluminum layer didnt adhere to the foam and rolled off like it was never bonded. I use the bare foam on the cowl section of my 70 Mach 1 I am restoring.

I did Dynomat all the way thru the inside, firewall/cowl and roof of my Cuda.   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010 - 02:37:14 PM »
I used a combination of Dynamat and Fatmat covering everything.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010 - 04:11:10 PM »
Looks good - I did all the metal work on my Cuda first, then brushed in black high gloss POR-15, then covered with Dynomat. The Mustang I spent more time on. Removed all rust and replaced floors, re-seam sealed, primed and shot and cleared body color. it looks so dam* good I hate to cover it with Dynamat.

Anyone ever been in such a dilemma?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010 - 04:13:05 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010 - 05:46:21 PM »
I forgot to mention my prep. First I prepped my floor by getting rid of all the surface rust, next I applied rust bullet, then a Rustoleum spray can sound deadener, and finally the rattletrap. Thats my story.....
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline William H Meister

• And so it begins...
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010 - 01:40:41 PM »
They make a roll of ductwork insulation for the home that has the reflective foil on one side and a sticky foam-ribber material on the other. Would this do the same thing?the roll is about 12" wide.

Bill

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010 - 02:28:50 PM »
I believe thats the Frost-King stuff.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010 - 08:15:35 AM »
Another option would be to use vycor or any other type of self adhering EPDM or butyy flashing that you can pick up in your local big box home improvement center. Then you can install your closed cell foam insulation material over top of that.  This is something I read in another forum for sound and insulation.  The closed cell you can get here. http://www.carinsulation.com/
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010 - 07:06:20 PM »
Challenger_73, your inbox is full, so I will reply to your PM here

Hey HANDM,
I was looking at your reply to a post (Sound Deadening). I was just wondering how the frost king duct wrap deadened the sound on your car. There are always cheaper & inventive ways of doing things and this caught my eye.
challenger_73
The car is still apart and I am currently in the process of putting it back together, so it's a little hard to say. While installing the stuff, I did knock on the underside of the floor before and after and found that without, it had a resonant thwack. After it seemed to be more of a dull thud. Even while talking while inside the car with no interior, It seems to be a lot less echo(y) Kind of like hardwood/ tile as opposed to carpet in your house. I did it mainly for heat insulation, without AC, with headers and a black interior, I have a feeling it is gonna be hot in there. Hope this helps :2thumbs:

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010 - 08:04:39 PM »
Anyone worked with none adhesive heat/sound deadener's?  I don't like the idea of permanently adhering the stuff onto the metal; other than taping the edges... :1zhelp:
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010 - 08:59:53 PM »
Anyone worked with none adhesive heat/sound deadener's?  I don't like the idea of permanently adhering the stuff onto the metal; other than taping the edges... :1zhelp:

The frost king sticks ok, it seems like it will come out without too much trouble if I needed to yank it. Dynamat seems like it sticks really well and may not come off other than in small chunks.

Offline EbodyPro572

• "Always restore, NEVER discard!"
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011 - 08:17:42 PM »
I've decided to use Damplifier Pro which is produced by 'Second Skin' in Arizona.  Did a lot of reading research and stuff, even considered stuff like 'ice guard' and /or 'weather guard' for residential roofing that some guys use in restorations.  The problem with that stuff is that it has lots of asphalt content (maybe smelly, stinky when it gets hot.....don't know for sure). It's sold at places like Home Depot and Lowe's type places.  The SS stuff is a butyl base w/foil top and is supposed to suppress not only sound but heat as well.  They also have a 'luxury liner pro' that can go over the damplifier but that's more money.  I'm thinking i want to do this only once so I'm pretty sure it's the route i'm going to take.  Anyway, just another idea/approach.    :thumbsup:
'ALWAYS Restore.....NEVER Discard'
73 Challenger; 04 Rumble Bee (Yello, of course); 01 Vehicross (Yello, of course, too); 90 Allante' (not Yello, just red); 79 MGB-V8; 68 Century Resorter;
73 Marlin Ski (468" Olds) Jet Boat; 06 Harley Fat Boy CVO; 73 Yamaha Golf Cart (Yello, of course); 07 Sears Garden Tractor

Offline Cuda54

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011 - 10:09:50 PM »
Would a bedliner as a under coating under the car help deaden the sound any?

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011 - 01:48:38 PM »
Timely thread for me....

This was on my winter "to do" list....

Seems like the cost would be a couple-few hundred for the "good" stuff.....

I dont mind the money so much IF it really does lessen the heat and deaden the sound enough to really hear/feel a difference.....does it?

Also, how much extra weight are we talking?  Hate to add weight (and therefore kill power)....how much are we talking here?

Someone said "adds tons of ballast".....with my fat @ss I dont need too much extra weight...LOL

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011 - 01:09:07 PM »
Any feedback on the weight issue with dynamat?

Wondering how much I would need for my fish and what that would weigh.....