Author Topic: Dynamatt or any other sound deadener  (Read 18267 times)

Offline 500Stroker

Re: Dynamatt or any other sound deadener
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011 - 06:29:00 PM »
Sorry never weighed how much I used.  My car is a pig at 4265 curb weight anyway.  :dunno:

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011 - 05:49:44 AM »
I wnet ahead and ordered a 30 sheet pack of hushmat on ebay for $250.

They say it weights 1/2/lb per 12"x23" sheet.

Doesnt seem like a huge amount...I am not racing where it would make a real huge difference.

Plus, it gives me incentive to lose weight...LOL.

Hopefully 30 sheets is enough.

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011 - 07:28:12 AM »
I think you need 120 square feet if I remember???? I ordered 2 boxes of the Dynamat, and I am positive I will be short. The stuff is heavy, like having a few cases of beer in your car.

Kyle.
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011 - 08:24:11 AM »
Well, the 30 sheets is supposed to be like 59 sq feet  (they say 1/2 lb per sq foot).....I am just looking to do from as far up the floor/firewall as I can get without removing the dash etc, the hump and floors back top the rear.

Hoping that is enough for that.

My mental calcs assume the car interior (floor area) is 5 feet wide and 8-9 feet long.....so hoping the 30 sheets will do.

I will do the doors, etc at some later point once I see what this application does....

I bought it on ebay......seems like the retail price is $350 for 30 sheets....I paid $250 to a vendor with good ratings.....hoping that the deep discount isnt a scam.

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011 - 06:15:06 PM »
Good luck with the install.  That stuff is expensive compared to the fatmat on ebay.  I'm sure all the brands show a decent improvement over a car with no sound dampening.

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011 - 05:35:07 PM »
I brought 2 rolls of stuff with spray glue for 30 bucks.Car is very quiet inside,just hear the motor and the exhaust out the back.Anything under the carpet will help greatly.The weight and cost of the expensive stuff is not needed IMO.

Which product and where from?
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011 - 06:27:05 PM »
Well, did my hushmat install today.

Started at about 9 removing the seats etc, finished at about 6.....did the whole inside floor and added a few pieces to the underside of the package try and the dutchman panel.....

I used 26 sheets give or take....I have 4 left for the doors, whenever I get around to it.

I couldnt take the car out...we have snow again.    :banghead:

But I did close all the windows and doors and fire her up in the garage....definately a difference!  Cant wait to see the difference on the road.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011 - 11:42:47 PM by shadango »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011 - 12:42:41 PM »
nice work  :2thumbs:   that sure will make a lot of difference
*** Bart ***

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011 - 09:15:14 PM »
Just so I am clear, once you lay down the Dynamat or other brand sound deadner, do you then put a "carpet mat" down before installing the carpet?  I would think a mat would give the floor a nice cushin, or is that overboard? 
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011 - 11:18:59 PM »
I did exactly as you said.  Padding layer on top of the Fatmat before the carpet.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011 - 10:00:33 AM »
I would suggest using Second Skin for you guys who want to do the roof. I believe they have the best rating for adherence when things get hot.

The cheap stuff my do just fine on the floor but it is known to fall off roofs and inner doors when the sun is beating down on the metal. Now, if you're in Canada or the Northern U.S. you may be able to go the Asphalt based stuff on the roof?

I don't know what I'm going to do yet but if I'm going to do the roof and doors I will fork over money for the good stuff on those portions.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011 - 12:03:27 PM »
"I would suggest using Second Skin for you guys who want to do the roof. I believe they have the best rating for adherence when things get hot."

Uhh.... that's something I never considered. I'm planning on doing my roof when I change out the headliner, that's definitely something I will keep in mind.

Lol.. I can just see sitting there at a light, and all of a sudden, the headliner starts to move because the dynamat has fallen onto it. Talk about a PITA to fix!
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011 - 05:48:18 PM »
"I would suggest using Second Skin for you guys who want to do the roof. I believe they have the best rating for adherence when things get hot."

Uhh.... that's something I never considered. I'm planning on doing my roof when I change out the headliner, that's definitely something I will keep in mind.

Lol.. I can just see sitting there at a light, and all of a sudden, the headliner starts to move because the dynamat has fallen onto it. Talk about a PITA to fix!

Hushmat Ultra, which is what I used, claims to be able to be used on roofs and withstand the heat.   :dunno:

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2011 - 01:07:42 AM »
Hushmat Ultra, which is what I used, claims to be able to be used on roofs and withstand the heat.   :dunno:

Yep, I think just about any of the big brands that were MEANT for automotive use would be fine for the roof. Dynamat, Hushmat, and 2nd Skin. I was mainly cautioning against the Home Depot stuff on the roof. I will probably use an auto specific kind on the roof and right above the headers on the firewall/floor area but use the "econo" stuff elsewhere like under the back seats and back floors.
 I'll skip the doors because I don't want ANY added weight on the hinges. I may change my mind though.

Offline sadil340

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011 - 08:08:38 AM »
Just so I am clear, once you lay down the Dynamat or other brand sound deadner, do you then put a "carpet mat" down before installing the carpet?  I would think a mat would give the floor a nice cushin, or is that overboard?
I put down some foam for heat blockage (no A/C) rather than sound deadening. The carpeting I bought had the mat included. One problem I didn't expect: the additional height caused by the foam means my seat is 1/4" higher - even that little amount means I hit my head getting into the car now! I will have to cut out the foam under the seat tracks.  :eek4:
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner