Author Topic: Dynamatt or any other sound deadener  (Read 18254 times)

Offline t1971Chally

Re: Dynamatt or any other sound deadener
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2011 - 08:47:57 AM »
Hi guys,

I have been following this thread for some time now.  I just picked up 100sqft of FatMat Mega Mat Butyl Deadener for 220.00 off ebay.  I have to pick up my carpet now and I will be ready to take on this job. 

I will post up some pics when I start. 

I do have some questions -

1.  What are you guys experiences putting this stuff down on the fire wall with the heat generated from the engine?  I have a "no AC" car and can get warm in the summers here in Indiana.  Do I need something else in that area?

2.  What about floor prep...what do you guys suggest using to clean the floor with?  I have a good surface rust free.....soap and water?

Thanks for the help!  (and this thread)

T1971Chally

Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011 - 09:29:04 AM »
Hi guys,

I have been following this thread for some time now.  I just picked up 100sqft of FatMat Mega Mat Butyl Deadener for 220.00 off ebay.  I have to pick up my carpet now and I will be ready to take on this job. 

I will post up some pics when I start. 

I do have some questions -

1.  What are you guys experiences putting this stuff down on the fire wall with the heat generated from the engine?  I have a "no AC" car and can get warm in the summers here in Indiana.  Do I need something else in that area?

2.  What about floor prep...what do you guys suggest using to clean the floor with?  I have a good surface rust free.....soap and water?

Thanks for the help!  (and this thread)

T1971Chally

You will have to check with the manufacturer of the mat you are using....

Hushmat needs no surface prerp...just has to be vaccumed/wiped clean.  Will even stick to oily surfaces.

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011 - 02:42:09 PM »

I used 26 sheets give or take....I have 4 left for the doors, whenever I get around to it.

So, 30 sheets (or 60 square feet) is about what we need, but I'm thinking we need more than that to also cover the roof-- correct?
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011 - 03:24:34 PM »
So, 30 sheets (or 60 square feet) is about what we need, but I'm thinking we need more than that to also cover the roof-- correct?

All I did was the inside floor.....firewall (up as high as the bottom of the steering column and heater box) to wheel wells/axle hump....and added a few small pieces under the package tray.

I have four full sheets left over plus a half piece and some scraps.

I probably wont do the roof since my headliner is just fine and I plan on keeping it that way for a while...LOL

I took the car out today (sunshine, sweet sunshine)......it definately made the car more "solid" sounding.....I am happy with the results....

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 - 03:42:41 PM by shadango »

Offline chuck

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2011 - 03:47:13 PM »
anybody try lizardskin

Offline BAD-6PK

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011 - 06:11:22 PM »
I just installed quite a bit of Dynamat on floor pan and package tray so far. No significant difference in heat. It has made a difference in sound though, in particular when I did the package tray.

A friend of mine did his 70 Cuda and advised that you only need to do strips, two or three inches wide with three or so inches in between, lightens it up and still provides the same deadening. Just tap on the piece of metal you are working on, add the Dynamat in strips until you hear it deaden and your done. The is what I am going to do with the roof and inside the doors etc. Unfortunately he told me that after I had already installed two boxes on the floor pan. I will likely need a third bulk pack for the doors, roof and trunk which I have not yet done.

I found the best deal for the bulk pack was on Amazon for about 130.00 plus shipping.

For insulation I am using aircraft insulation over the top of the Dynamat for the heat, it is foil faced on both sides and about 5/8" thick. Nice and lightweight also since it is for planes and a quarter the cost of the dynaliner.

Hope that helps everyone.

Offline edl94

• She Cuda
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2011 - 08:26:55 PM »
I just put down jeggs hushmat. It looks like a good product. It sticks good I hope I never need to remove it.

Offline Final Challenge

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2012 - 05:24:11 PM »
anybody try lizardskin

Yes, I bought the jobber kit which includes two 2 gallon pails of sound control, two 2 gallon pails of the ceramic heat control, and their spaygun.

The stuff is pricey, $608 USD for the package. There has been a price increase in the new year. The price in Canada is much higher due to transportation costs.

The amount of product that I used on my Challenger, is almost one 2 gallon pail of each so far.

The sound control pail is HEAVY, but dries to about 20 lbs.

The ceramic pail is very light and dries to  3 lbs or so.

The application work looks easy to do, is water based, no heavy fumes.

The product can go down relatively smooth, be sanded, highfill primed and painted.

The sound control product went down OK, but not as nice as it should have. I know we used too high of an air pressure. You need to mask everything or be prepared to wipe down overspray with a wet sponge or rag. It cleans up nice. I chose to only cover the inside passenger compartment complete, roof, firewall, floors, inside doors and rear wheel wells.

I highly recommend to use the product before the final prime and sand before painting your car.

The trunk is just too nice to cover up. So it will only get painted. The underside of the car will be shot where the exhaust system runs, the trans and driveshaft area and from under the firewall floor lip back. I still need to degrease and prep some of these areas. Under the rear mufflers and gas tank will get shot as well.

More experience with the product and gun are needed to get smooth result. I have a well covered, dimpled finish that will be covered up anyway.

The ceramic gave me grief.  It didn't want to siphon out of the gun, even with the recommended dilution of water. Once again, too high an air pressure was used to get the job done, leaving a less desireable dimpled finish.

The ceramic is the product that gets me excited the most. Every big block car with headers has always be unbearable to drive long distances on a 90 degree day.  That heat just radiated through the floor, factory insulation and carpet. I have seen the product applied to 1/2 of an electric frying pan, and you could touch it.

I am determined to learn how to apply the product to be beautiful and do this service for others.

It may be expensive, but I think it is the best bang for the buck if you apply it where you need it and is not readily seen, not just applied everywhere.  This stuff should turn a classic into a civilized ride.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012 - 05:27:14 PM by Final Challenge »

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012 - 10:37:33 PM »
I did my whole car in FatMat along with putting the thick carpet insulation in the roof and now my car is rock solid and the tunes sound like I am in a concert hall!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012 - 01:02:05 AM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012 - 11:01:51 PM »
I did the floor with Dynamat over Christmas.  It killed a lot of the rattle.  I haven't had a chance to test the heat properties due to winter.  I'd imagine doing the roof/trunk/package tray would reduce more of the noise but I didn't want to mess with removing the headliner or leave any Dynamat visible.

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012 - 01:16:51 AM »
Hey Jamiez,

It took me five years to become a Full Member here on c-c.com and I see you are now a Full Member after just six months!!!!  Your love for these cars runs deep as it does for many of us, although you might want to consider branching out and getting a gal as a little distraction!
Charlie
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012 - 11:24:03 AM »
Hush Mat: http://hushmat.com/

Fat Mat: http://www.fatmat.com/

Dyna Mat: http://www.dynamat.com/

So which one's the best for the basic version?
Best product for the money?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012 - 12:56:16 PM »
although you might want to consider branching out and getting a gal as a little distraction!

I would suggest getting 2 or 3 and not dedicate to just one.   :bigsmile:  I'm watching this thread as I'm getting ready to do the floor in the Hardtop before installing new carpet. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012 - 01:10:49 PM »
I bought matting to put down & just could not bring myself to do it , I cannot imagine how hard it would be to remove for any reason , I just added rubber matting under the carpet , I had a lot of it after stripping a couple of old New Yorkers from the early 70s

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012 - 03:38:33 PM »
For those of you looking for the heat shield, foil backed jute (carpet padding) to place between teh carpet and Fatmat or glue to the roof like I did here is a link to it.  I bought mine at JC Whitney but they no longer sell it.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/thercarpad.html

Price don't seem too bad at $17.00 per running yard X 4' wide