Author Topic: Front and rear sway bars  (Read 10473 times)

Offline torqueaddict

Front and rear sway bars
« on: September 14, 2010 - 12:09:55 AM »
I know this makes me sound retarded for asking this question but I gotta know:how can I tell if I have sway bars, and if I dont what kind of upgrade is it, is it really an improvement
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: Front and rear sway bars
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010 - 06:38:12 AM »
On the front, look and see if you have a bar that passes through the k-member (it will be connected to the lca's ). On the rear, see if you have a bar, about 3/4" diameter running across the car by the rear end. Could be frame or axle mounted. (Actually kind of tough to put into words ::))
They make a huge difference in handling.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010 - 08:48:33 AM »
  Have you read this? http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=32717.0

Front sway bar connects to lower control arms via the links

OE rear sway bar above the rear end.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010 - 08:50:05 AM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010 - 09:38:47 AM »
  Have you read this? http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=32717.0

Front sway bar connects to lower control arms via the links

OE rear sway bar above the rear end.

Yeah Bullitt I read that yesterday, thats what got me thinking about sway bars. I thought you had to have a tubular K frame with racking pinion steering to really see improvements in handling. My car was a 4 speed 340 car that now has a 383 727 combo. My car handles like a tank honestly, I have new shocks,  leaf springs, and tubular A arms are new aswel so after reading that article I started thinking maybe subframe connectors and some sway bars would make my ride more tolerable. At this point I am willing to try anything, I am not going to be racing my car but I would like be able to drive aggressively on the street and be able to feel more in control

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010 - 09:47:06 AM »
What size torsion bars? I've read that some shocks, like KYB, cause a harsh ride. Front sway bar will help keep the front more even/stable in the turns, of course just throwing random parts at it may not have the desired effect.  Improvement can be seen but in the end it's not going to handle like a modern sports car....maybe sedan.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010 - 09:52:51 AM »
Speaking from my own experience, sway bars alone, without any other upgrades, make a huge difference. If I were in your position and I was going to go beyond sway bars, I would do bigger torsion bars and better shocks, in terms of bang for the buck.

LAst time I looked into changing to rack and pinion, the conversion would give a faster steering ratio but would increase turning radius.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010 - 09:56:43 AM »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010 - 10:03:51 AM »
What size torsion bars? I've read that some shocks, like KYB, cause a harsh ride. Front sway bar will help keep the front more even/stable in the turns, of course just throwing random parts at it may not have the desired effect.  Improvement can be seen but in the end it's not going to handle like a modern sports car....maybe sedan.

Honestly Bullitt I have no idea what size torsion bars, I wasnt really looking for my car to handle like a new sports car. Handling like a sedan would be an improvement in my ind. Soyou guys think I need to look into torsion and sway bars any ideas on what company I should roll with and how hard is that stuff to put in, thanks guys this is awesome info for me.

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010 - 11:47:01 AM »
For a modern sedan "ride" you just need 1" torsion bars (just suspension has them) and a 1 1/8" sway bar (addco and various vendors).  Decent shocks and that's about it.  Don't even really need a rear sway bar at that point.

This is what I have on my car, and don't hear any complaints from the GF about the ride even with 17" wheels.  I'm pulling it all off though soon to go BIG on the suspension.  (what can I say, I'm a racer...)
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010 - 12:43:15 PM »
So I need to change my torsion bars and ad a front sway bar and that will help tremendously. I'm assuming rear sway bars will only improve that even more. Sounds good to me who are the best vendors, anyone know?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010 - 12:58:01 PM »
Mopar still has the .96 bars , PST has largerones available at a new lower price
 Firm Feel has the best rear bar

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010 - 02:08:07 PM »
If you had a small block before then swapped the 383 with out upgrading the torsion bars then I would do that first! After that then I would consider the sway bar up front. You said you put new shocks on but didn't mention which ones you went with? If they are edelbrock, bisten or koni's then you fine, if not I would upgrade to one of those shock brands. I like the edelbrocks for the money!
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010 - 03:53:09 PM »
Some good related reading in here...
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71169.0
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=70162.0
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71094.0
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71316.0

Thanks Brad, its fully but those links plus my drive home from the paint shop is what started this quest for a better driving experience. I think since I already have the tubular uppers, I am gonna try changing my torsion bars, adding front and rear sway bars, and trying to get some sub-frame connectors. From what you guys have told me this will be the biggest bang for my buck.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010 - 09:00:42 AM »
I thought you had to have a tubular K frame with racking pinion steering to really see improvements in handling.

Unfortuantly, a lot of new owners think this is an absolute truth, and while it will get you there, a lot of this gain is from getting improved and complimentary spring rates. Not to say that a R&P, tubular set up is bad, they do weigh less and perform nicely, but they are not an absolute requirement.

When it comes right down to it, there are only three type if springs; leaf, coil, and torsion. Tires could care less what applies the force or through what means that force is transmitted. All they care about is that it is evenly distributed with the range of grip they can provide.