Author Topic: Front and rear sway bars  (Read 10465 times)

Offline torqueaddict

Re: Front and rear sway bars
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010 - 11:01:54 AM »
That aspect of my ride seems ok but I havent really driven alot but I realized almost instantly how bad my handling was how hard are sway bars to put on anyway?
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010 - 11:10:39 AM »
Front bars are easy. Took me about 15 minutes or so (car already in the air, wheels already off).

Rear sway bars are more problematic. The factory frame-hung style requires some kind of reinforcement at the mount to keep from tearing the frame rails. The aftermarket style requires some reinforcement at the end link mounting point for the same reason.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010 - 11:21:22 AM »
What front sway bars did you go with and did you already have them. How was your ride afterwards
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010 - 05:12:16 PM »
. The factory frame-hung style requires some kind of reinforcement at the mount to keep from tearing the frame rails.
Not the case...factory sway bar mounts with 8-sheet metal bolts straight into the frame..
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010 - 07:29:24 PM »
Not the case...factory sway bar mounts with 8-sheet metal bolts straight into the frame..

Hey, Wade, thanks for correcting me. What I should have said was "You can mount the rear by bolting it to the frame rails, but if you're a spirited driver it will stress those mounting points too much, and the safe thing to do is to reinforce the mounts."

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010 - 07:34:00 PM »
Hey, Wade, thanks for correcting me. What I should have said was "You can mount the rear by bolting it to the frame rails, but if you're a spirited driver it will stress those mounting points too much, and the safe thing to do is to reinforce the mounts."

Guess all the krazy driving I did as a teenager wasn't spirited enough, all I managed to do was bend the sway bar link bolts.  :lol2:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Talkwrench

• Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010 - 08:50:02 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and have ordered swaybars. I got the ADDCO ones front and rear, Would have loved the firmfeel rear but the ADDCO ones and the freight was half the price, that means a lot when its got to come to the other side of the world. CAn anyone suggest a better way to mount the ADDCO rear, or modify the mounting anyone done it???
 :aussie:
"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010 - 09:06:54 PM »
CAn anyone suggest a better way to mount the ADDCO rear, or modify the mounting anyone done it???
 :aussie:
I'm working on a new bracket for my axle mount bar. Sort of a cross between factory and addco. Will post pics if I come up with something workable. Don't bother with the 'through the frame u-bolts', you will tear them out of the frame, at least I did. :swear:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010 - 09:48:07 PM »
Guess all the krazy driving I did as a teenager wasn't spirited enough, all I managed to do was bend the sway bar link bolts.  :lol2:

My car never had sway bars until a couple of years ago, but two of my parts cars had the mounting holes for the rear bars oblonged  ;D

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Talkwrench

• Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010 - 07:42:09 AM »
What the hell are you doing to tear them out of the chassis  ???  From what I have seen its really not the best solution, it'll be interesting when they get here.... :thinkerg:

ON the up side my car past inspection today and is now licensed .... :woohoo:
"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010 - 08:08:33 AM »
What the hell are you doing to tear them out of the chassis  ??? 

With the stock mount, it's just bolts into sheet metal, so it won't stand up to a lot of stress. At a bare minimum, I'd look at backing those bolts with nuts on the inside of the rails.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline wiging19

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010 - 02:56:19 PM »
I'm working on a new bracket for my axle mount bar. Sort of a cross between factory and addco. Will post pics if I come up with something workable. Don't bother with the 'through the frame u-bolts', you will tear them out of the frame, at least I did. :swear:

Dido for me....

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010 - 03:28:18 PM »
What about welding tubes through the rail , so you could use nuts and bolts instead of metal screws?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010 - 03:51:16 PM »
What about welding tubes through the rail , so you could use nuts and bolts instead of metal screws?

The issue I see there is that the frame rails taper. If the tubes were cut to the same taper then the bolt heads and nuts wouldn't be gripping across their entire surface areas. If the tubes extended beyond the frame rails, then that might work. If the tubes are small enough to support the bolts adequately, then it might not provide significantly more surface area to spread the force around at the mounts, though.

Keep in mind, this just represents my thought experiments.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010 - 03:58:20 PM »
The issue I see there is that the frame rails taper. If the tubes were cut to the same taper then the bolt heads and nuts wouldn't be gripping across their entire surface areas. If the tubes extended beyond the frame rails, then that might work. If the tubes are small enough to support the bolts adequately, then it might not provide significantly more surface area to spread the force around at the mounts, though.

Keep in mind, this just represents my thought experiments.

Hummm? Beveled washers? :dunno: failing that weld a beefy bracket to the rail? With nuts welded to the inside so you can unbolt it using same style bushing brackets as the front?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0