Author Topic: no gauge lights or radio light  (Read 1976 times)

Offline 30below

no gauge lights or radio light
« on: September 16, 2010 - 09:39:37 AM »
Dash frame was painted,so i thought it was a ground problem.Dropped the light bar and ran a wire from the back of it to a ground,still nothing.Maybe the switch,but i thought i saw the bulb over the heater control on for a bit.Also no radio light.Is it connected to the dimmer switch?The dome light works with the dimmer switch.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
Re: no gauge lights or radio light
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010 - 10:10:57 AM »
dimmer switch is probably bad, usually the problem. Unplug the dimmer switch and jump the dash circuit.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010 - 07:46:06 PM »
I got pulled over one time when the Roadrunner's dash lights had also gone out.  Turns out Chrysler had it set up that if the fuse for the tail lights blow it also takes out the dash lights.  Decent cop, didn't ticket me for no tail lights and I told him I was already on my way home and would keep my foot resting on the brake pedal to keep the brake lights lit on the way home...

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline 30below

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010 - 08:01:12 AM »
Im far from an electrical guru.After unplugging the dimmer switch,can i use an alligator clip and clip it to whichever the power out side of the plug is to the orange light bar wire?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010 - 08:29:12 AM »
Is there power getting to the switch?  If so you could make a jumper wire with male spade terminals on each end & jump the IN & OUT on the switches receptacle to bypass the dimmer to see if the lights are working, if they do then you will know the switch is the problem. (contact cleaner may help or see member SLOTTS for a rebuild) If the lights do not come on then you will need to trace where the problem is, wiring, ground, bad connection. 
  As to your question you can isolate the light bar, or any accessory for that matter, with a jumper from its plug to any 12V power source to check. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010 - 02:58:10 PM »
I got pulled over one time when the Roadrunner's dash lights had also gone out.  Turns out Chrysler had it set up that if the fuse for the tail lights blow it also takes out the dash lights.  Decent cop, didn't ticket me for no tail lights and I told him I was already on my way home and would keep my foot resting on the brake pedal to keep the brake lights lit on the way home...

Later, Jim
Me too.  Not the pulled over part, but I had no dash lights or brake lights, or side marker lights for that matter, and it turns out all are on the same fuse  :clueless: :clueless:

Offline 30below

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010 - 01:40:50 PM »
Anybody betting on the dimmer switch wins.Jumped the headlight hot side of the plug to the center gauge light side and bingo.Thanks for the help