Author Topic: stroker motor? yay or nay?  (Read 14681 times)

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
stroker motor? yay or nay?
« on: October 02, 2010 - 05:07:55 PM »
I have been planning my motor build for a while now and have run across a dilemma.

My goals are minimum 500 hp and about 550 tq. I know this is very doable with the 440 I have sitting here and I am sure that it could make those goals wether I put in a stroker kit or not.

So here is where the dilemma comes in. I was talking to an engine builder around here that has a very good reputation. He suggested turning the 440 into a stroker because it would be easier to obtain my goals that way.

Then I talked to a buddy of mine that used to be an engine builder and he suggested not going the stroker route. According to him strokers lose some longevity because of the extra strain on the internals.

So my question is which way should I go? I want to get at least 100k miles out of this motor before I need to rebuild it, but I also like the idea of a stroker  :cooldancing: .

So what do you guys think? Will a stroker maintain reliability for what I have in mind or would I be better off just rebuilding the 440 and hoping to make the power with add ons?
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: stroker motor? yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010 - 06:23:34 PM »
A stroker will make hitting your torque # easier. People usually use the 400 for stroking more than the 440. As far as 100,000 miles....I've never thought of strong performance lasting that long. :2cents:
Kind of like The Engineers sig - Cheap, Fast, Reliable, Pick two. If you want fast and reliable, it ain't gonna be cheap.  :cheers:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010 - 08:22:39 PM »
Have to agree with Dodj's 100k comment, the higher strung, higher revving, higher HP you make any motor you're losing some longevity in the process.  How many miles do you plan on driving a 440 or stroker car per year?  Gas alone would keep me from commuting with one, relegating it to more of a weekend car so I'm not as concerned about it lasting for high mileage.  One thing about a modest stroker (500 ci or less maybe) is that you won't have to have as radical a cam or as high compression to make your numbers, the downside is that strokers do put additional loads internally so you'd want to go with higher quality forged crank, pistons, I or H beam rods, etc. to hold up.  Me, if I build the 383 in my Roadrunner I'm going with a modest 438 CI to keep things reasonable, that or pick up a 400 or 440 for even more cubes with a mild stroker.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010 - 08:34:51 PM »
That is what I did . .  :cheers:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010 - 08:53:38 PM »
I remember cadillac made a 472 and a 500 cube engine. They used a lot of fuel, but got 100k miles on them with 9.5 compression or so. Big cubes is easy, keepin the rpms down is longer lasting.  Remember the 8 6 4 cad?  build it big then limit the cylinders.  Just yakin on like I always do, got 5 hrs of sleep now :bigsmile:

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010 - 11:32:39 PM »
Have to agree with Dodj's 100k comment, the higher strung, higher revving, higher HP you make any motor you're losing some longevity in the process.  How many miles do you plan on driving a 440 or stroker car per year? 

I am hoping to drive my 'cuda as much as possible when I finish it. I would like to drive it close to every day (except in times of snow). The mileage won't be a major concern with me because I plan to put in a TKO 600 transmission with 3:73 gears. Which should limit me to about 2000 rpms at 65 mph. Hopefully bringing me close to my 20 mpg goal (when I behave  :misbehaving: )

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010 - 12:50:34 AM »
I believe the longevity can be obtained but you need toi be aware of rod ratio , piston speeds clearances when buillding the engine
 the 440 / 512 offers longer rods for decent rod ratio , cammed properly it will make all the power you will need under 6000 RPM is very drivable & should last a long time

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010 - 01:34:15 AM »
I believe the longevity can be obtained but you need toi be aware of rod ratio , piston speeds clearances when buillding the engine
 the 440 / 512 offers longer rods for decent rod ratio , cammed properly it will make all the power you will need under 6000 RPM is very drivable & should last a long time

Good to know. I was planning on going with 440source.com's 512 stroker kit. As for RPM's I find I am a fairly mild driver anymore. I would be surprised if the motor saw 5k rpms or more 10 times a year. I just like knowing the power is there if I want it :D

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010 - 06:08:06 AM »
If you want to save money, you could make 500 hp with a 440, most guys get 500 hp out of a 440 with the following"

- cam swap
- headers
- alum intake
- 850-950 carb
- 9.5 compression
- roller rockers

But if you have to redo the bottom end then go with the stroker kit, it will cost to very close to the same cost as getting the stroker kit.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010 - 11:38:50 AM »
I doubt it would save $$ , by the time you pay to rebuild all the stack parts , replace rod bolts & pistons & get it balanced the cost is usually as much as the stroker kit

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010 - 02:50:58 PM »
the only thing that beats cubic inches is cubic money and a good turbo :cheers:

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010 - 05:41:24 PM »
Ok, I am going to try and keep it at about a 10:1 compression ratio. And I was planning on the 440source kit. Is that a good kit for the money?

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010 - 10:13:50 AM »
I had a 493 stroker built from my 440.  They used Eagle parts for the rotating assembly and the total build cost me about 5k....but this is everything new...oil pan, intake, cam, lifters, etc.  It's not in my car yet but I can tell you that I'm not worried about longevity really....I drive my car about 50 miles a week, at most so I won't be putting on the miles like a normal car.  Besides....I built it to beat on it....if it blows, it blows....I won't baby the motor or car just to try to prevent that.

Just my  :2cents:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010 - 10:31:57 AM »
If the price is even remotely close, stroke it.  Longevity really isn't a factor as much as some believe.  The bigger motor will make more power at less rpm, thus it doesn't need to be revved to make power.  Lower revs mean lower wear.   :2cents:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010 - 12:22:05 PM »
Stroker all the way..Contrary to popular belief, Bigger IS better on the street as well as the race track..Remember, a larger engine will make 600 HP ALOT easier and at a lower RPM than a smaller engine..(440)...I work at an Exhaust shop and I see people everyday telling us they don't want their car Too loud and get us to put on twin Turbo mufflers..About 3 days later, we are cutting them off and installing the Flowmasters they thought were gonna be too loud....When dealing with Big Blocks, Too much is just enough....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)