Author Topic: stroker motor? yay or nay?  (Read 14687 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: stroker motor? yay or nay?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010 - 12:26:31 PM »
This song says it all...... :cooldancing: :smilielol:

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010 - 01:07:37 AM »
I have been planning my motor build for a while now and have run across a dilemma.

My goals are minimum 500 hp and about 550 tq. I know this is very doable with the 440 I have sitting here and I am sure that it could make those goals wether I put in a stroker kit or not.

So here is where the dilemma comes in. I was talking to an engine builder around here that has a very good reputation. He suggested turning the 440 into a stroker because it would be easier to obtain my goals that way.

Then I talked to a buddy of mine that used to be an engine builder and he suggested not going the stroker route. According to him strokers lose some longevity because of the extra strain on the internals.

So my question is which way should I go? I want to get at least 100k miles out of this motor before I need to rebuild it, but I also like the idea of a stroker  :cooldancing: .

So what do you guys think? Will a stroker maintain reliability for what I have in mind or would I be better off just rebuilding the 440 and hoping to make the power with add ons?
I was having a similar issue, if you get the Mancini 493 kit unbalanced you will end up paying $1585 total. Like Chrycho said you will end up paying damn near the same after you get your rings, bearings, and rod bolts. Do your research abd post maybe you can provide me with more info if you learn more.
 :popcorn:
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010 - 04:52:45 AM »
I didn't realize the mancini kit was unbalanced. I will probably go with the 440source kit then. They include the rods and pistons and have everything weighed and balanced.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010 - 02:57:56 PM »
Mancini has an unbalanced and a balanced kit, the balanced kit is 1750 the unbalanced is 1450. you also need to look at your gonna pay twice the taxes with 440source if that's not an issue. They both come with the same amount of stuff, the 440source kit is 2200 without shipping because of taxes here in good ol' Arnold land.  :pullinghair: . Its up to you, 440source does a good job but if you have a good relationship with your machine shop the balancing should be fairly inexpensive so you can probably get you kit have it balanced and get you a good cam for what the balanced 440source kit will cost you. If you get mancini's balanced kit you still will come out ahead of the source just my  :2cents:
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010 - 12:02:15 AM »
I priced a dome piston 440 source kit on the phone for 1695 . This was 2 weeks ago, not sure if they are having a sale or not.  I get my stuff balanced local for 175. 

There have been many a time where I just bought specific parts like a mopar 1053 8 bolt crank, then BME rods, and J & E pistons.  or other combos depending on performance level intended. 

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010 - 08:53:15 PM »
I would not do the route of a stroker...
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010 - 12:11:45 AM »

I would like a little more info as to why you feel this way. Is it just personal preference or is there a longevity or performance concern?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010 - 12:51:00 PM »
Almost all of the engine we build now are strokers they are as cheap as rebuilding the original parts lighten up the rotating mass & still have the longevity

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010 - 10:53:28 AM »
I would like a little more info as to why you feel this way. Is it just personal preference or is there a longevity or performance concern?

Not my preference .. I would think fuel economy would not be as good (anyone care to address this?) I have always know them not to last as long ... now fair is fair like any engine... you build it in the back yard, or have it "engineered" big difference.

Now if you plan to do a lot of racing I would say it might be a good idea...

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010 - 11:19:25 AM »
Not my preference .. I would think fuel economy would not be as good (anyone care to address this?)

IMO, one does not build a stroker looking for fuel economy....There's only one reason one builds a stroker....

Bigger engine= more power....more power= less fuel economy....If fuel economy is the primary concern in the musclecar world, then ther's always the Neon,cobalt,Honda Civic, Mits. Eclipse, etc.....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010 - 11:27:13 AM »
with the right parts picked out as a package I bet you would increase both efficiency & milage , we did a 512 " with an OD 833 & it has been averaging 18 MPG [can gallon] on the highway

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010 - 11:43:18 AM »
IMO, one does not build a stroker looking for fuel economy....There's only one reason one builds a stroker....

Bigger engine= more power....more power= less fuel economy....If fuel economy is the primary concern in the musclecar world, then ther's always the Neon,cobalt,Honda Civic, Mits. Eclipse, etc.....

agreed.  That is why I said if you plan to race it...  In my world I might race a little, but mostly up and down the street.  So if he wants to hot rod it... go for it.

if he wants to drive it daily ... I would think fuel economy would be a factor.
I imagine you could do a "small stroker" just to change comprssion and such ... might be a middle of the road deal....but then again ...why?

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010 - 05:38:24 PM »
Again, IMO, there's only one reason to build a stroker and it isn't for a daily driver....I don't daily drive any of these type cars that I own because of idiots texting on cell phones or the soccer mom weaving in and out of traffic with a mini'van full of offspring.....I build strokers for what they are for..Makiing power...People are always trying to push the envelope when it comes to having their cake and eating it too..We've come along way in this areana, but we haven't made an engine that will make 1000 HP. outrun everything on the street, road race with the best of 'em, be able to drive it daily, idle in traffic and not overheat, and get 50 MPG at the same time....I applaude anybody that tries this, but Prefer to allow nature to take it's own course and the treehuggers with their "green" cars can simply drive 'em..This only allows more fuel for my gas guzzling beasts...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010 - 09:33:26 PM »

There's no Replacement for Displacement!

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010 - 09:35:52 PM »
Again, IMO, there's only one reason to build a stroker and it isn't for a daily driver....I don't daily drive any of these type cars that I own because of idiots texting on cell phones or the soccer mom weaving in and out of traffic with a mini'van full of offspring.....I build strokers for what they are for..Makiing power...People are always trying to push the envelope when it comes to having their cake and eating it too..We've come along way in this areana, but we haven't made an engine that will make 1000 HP. outrun everything on the street, road race with the best of 'em, be able to drive it daily, idle in traffic and not overheat, and get 50 MPG at the same time....I applaude anybody that tries this, but Prefer to allow nature to take it's own course and the treehuggers with their "green" cars can simply drive 'em..This only allows more fuel for my gas guzzling beasts...

I believe you are overexagerating quite a bit there. My goal is to make a 440 (or bigger with a stroker kit if needed) that has 500 hp (very doable from what I have read) and hopefully hit somewhere close to 20 mpg on the highway (which could also be attainable with a tko600 transmission and a properly geared rear end.