For Pro touring, handling modded, lowered cars: New SB Oil Pan -w/pics

Author Topic: For Pro touring, handling modded, lowered cars: New SB Oil Pan -w/pics  (Read 12042 times)

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling

I've been helping/bugging with Milodon on a small block Mopar pro touring/high capacity-stock height/road race pans similar to the other road race pans they make. Like the big block Mopar one they offer, pn 31580. Many people use that big block road race pan on their HiPo street cars to get a pan that does not go past their K-member and get smashed, but still has increased capacity and advanced oil control. This pan is actually a little shorter than even a stock pan for ultimate low ground clearance situations!!

It just took about 2 years of needling Milodon to do this, so I want to get the word out and support thier efforts. I see a lots of lowered cars with deep pans just waiting to get smashed loose all their oil.

These 318/340 and 360 pans just came out last Friday and available NOW!: http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/road-race-oil-pans.asp

One of the requirements I felt for this new pan was fitting A-bodies as well as B and E bodies. And the toughest requirement was fitting the super-duper tight 73-76 A-body spool K-member. The spool motor mounts create a wall of K-member right down the bottom of the pan. So we tested the pan extensively with a 73-76 K-member with full steering linkage. TTI headers and header that go behind the steering linkage will not be a fitment problem. Just fitting the pan to E and B bodies would have been easy, but the A’s would be left out.

Of note: The current issue Mopar Muscle Magazine 427cid stroker small block by AndyF (AR Engineering) was tested in Tim Werner’s red 68 Valiant hitting 130+ at Portland International Raceway’s road course. The Valiant and motor could keep up with new Z06 Corvettes until motor’s new custom Charlies oil pan lost oil pressure and they had to go home early. AndyF was about to make pan himself, but I told him to wait for the new Milodon SB pan and one is on its way to Oregon right now.

I have also ran dry on oil in my Barracuda with a just a stock pan at the track. My car was not anywhere near as fast as Tim’s 68 Valiant. Stock small block pans have NO BAFFLING whatsoever. Most big block Mopar HP and a lot of non HP pans have some baffling front and rear. None for any small block, ever. My new 416 stroker SB WILL have this new Milodon SB pan.

Point is, any somewhat serious pro touring or suspension mod car you should think about protecting the motor with a baffled pan designed for high sustained G’s.

Any well thought out additional baffling will help a stock small block pan. But there is a glass ceiling to that. And it’s not very high. The Milodon pan will take you to the limits of a full on vintage road race car and have you covered and covered for future mods.

Now, this pan is a serious handling, road race piece. Some of the features of this NEW pan:

• Side pods for 6 quarts of oil
  • FIVE trap door/gates
  • 3 braking deacceleration gates to keep oil around the sump under hard braking
  • 2 lateral G gates
  • fully baffled sump for complete oil control
  • false right angle wall at back of sump to keep oil from very rear of pan. Also allows more centerlink clearance for possible lowered motors.
  • fully TIG welded construction
  • decades of SCCA road race proven sump design features in this pan.
  • Made right here in USA

This pan should not need the band aid of an accusump reserve system. Unless of course there is a weak link somewhere else in the oiling system. I know $450 is a lot for an oil pan. But look at a $200 drag race pan with the bucket welded under them. Then look at all pictures I took of the gates, ledges, baffles, custom sump, weld quality, construction quality of this Road Race pan and I think you will understand some of the $$$ differences.

These new small block pans will be on display at Fall Fling October 30, 2010 and SEMA
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
Re: For Pro touring, handling modded, lowered cars: New SB Oil Pan -w/pics
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010 - 05:52:00 PM »
 :wow:Thats is sweet and thank you for all your efforts! Will this work with a 340 stroked engine?
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010 - 05:56:57 PM »
:wow:Thats is sweet and thank you for all your efforts! Will this work with a 340 stroked engine?

Darn straight. That's what I am putting it on.

Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010 - 06:07:25 PM »
Also you should use the Milodon windage tray. The factory small block might not work and the louvers don't allow for as much oil return at the Milodon. And the Milodon one with thier main studs allows you to adjust the tray for differrent strokes.

Just to make sure I can feed this pan. I smoothed out the oil pump and rear main passages so as not to get any turbulence and aeration in the oil.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 - 06:09:11 PM by autoxcuda »
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010 - 06:13:47 PM »
I am in.
Thanks.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010 - 06:33:49 PM »
I am in.
Thanks.

I thought you were THE first guy in! Didn't you order on Friday?
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010 - 12:05:11 PM »
Bought mine today. Unfortuantly, the 360 versions won't ship for another 4-5 weeks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010 - 06:28:53 PM by HP2 »

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010 - 02:20:49 PM »
I believe that's the oil pan the restoration shop just put on my car. I lowered my car and there wasn't much clearance with the original oil pan. The shop suggested this one. After he installed it, there's no clearance issues whatsoever. In fact, they told me that "now the k-frame would scrape before the oil pan".

David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010 - 02:39:54 PM »
I believe that's the oil pan the restoration shop just put on my car. I lowered my car and there wasn't much clearance with the original oil pan. The shop suggested this one. After he installed it, there's no clearance issues whatsoever. In fact, they told me that "now the k-frame would scrape before the oil pan".

Was that the Big Block/Hemi Milodon pan? That's an awesome pan too. Same guts inside, just fitted to a hemi pan.

The small block one just came out on Friday.
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010 - 03:05:58 PM »
That's awesome. I will have to check it out at SEMA next month.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010 - 03:19:33 PM »
Was that the Big Block/Hemi Milodon pan? That's an awesome pan too. Same guts inside, just fitted to a hemi pan.

The small block one just came out on Friday.

Mine was the Big Block/Hemi version of the pan. I wasn't familiar with it until the Restoration Shop suggested it. I was rather concerned about clearance before this pan was installed. Not anymore though -- I am impressed

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010 - 10:35:55 PM »
Mine was the Big Block/Hemi version of the pan. I wasn't familiar with it until the Restoration Shop suggested it. I was rather concerned about clearance before this pan was installed. Not anymore though -- I am impressed

Did you get a chance to look inside the pan before they installed it? (ie play with it) The Milodon Road Race pans are awesome pieces.

BTW, Milodon also makes a low profile, extra capacity, handling/road race pan for GenIII Hemi 5.7/6.1, 392 & 426 Strokers motors: http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/street-oil-pans-6.1chrys.asp And a pan for fiting the Modern Hemi into an old chassis.
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010 - 11:49:46 PM »
Did you get a chance to look inside the pan before they installed it? (ie play with it) The Milodon Road Race pans are awesome pieces.

BTW, Milodon also makes a low profile, extra capacity, handling/road race pan for GenIII Hemi 5.7/6.1, 392 & 426 Strokers motors: http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/street-oil-pans-6.1chrys.asp And a pan for fiting the Modern Hemi into an old chassis.

I didn't get to see the pan before it was installed. In fact, I didn't realize the type of pan I had until I saw this post. Even now I won't be certain until I get my car back with the receipts for the new parts.

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010 - 12:16:09 AM »
I didn't get to see the pan before it was installed. In fact, I didn't realize the type of pan I had until I saw this post. Even now I won't be certain until I get my car back with the receipts for the new parts.

This is 100% for sure a Milodon  pn 31580 big block ultra low profile road race/protouring pan. The insides of it look just like the pictures above of the small block pan.

As a matter of fact, just last Saturday I was at Restorations by Julius' and he had a 71 hemi Cuda clone with that pan on it.

Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline getslideways

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010 - 11:12:33 AM »
big thumbs up for Milodon listening to its customers' needs, it looks like a great piece