Author Topic: Swapping VIN's  (Read 3882 times)

Offline djr71

Swapping VIN's
« on: October 06, 2010 - 10:44:12 AM »
I just saw this article and was like wow. How many time has this been done.

A Conestoga man has been charged with illegally altering car identification numbers.

Regis G. Frey, 54, of 3825 Main St., owned two 1967 Chevrolet Novas, one with a V-6 engine and the other with a V-8, Southern Regional Police said.

While restoring the V-6 model, Frey swapped vehicle identification number plates on the cars to portray that the V-6 was the V-8, police said.

Frey had also obtained a 283 engine to put into the restored V-6 car, police said. He ground off the engine's identification number because it did not include a pressure number.

On June 8, Frey sold the unrestored V-8 Nova, police said. The alert buyer located the confidential vehicle identification number on the car and saw it did not match the car's displayed number.

Police and the Lancaster County Auto Theft Task Force investigated and Frey was charged with six chop shop-related violations, police said.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Swapping VIN's
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010 - 11:00:02 AM »
Personally, I think it happens all the time. I think it's rare that people get caught.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010 - 11:09:54 AM »
It's always buyer beware.  Do your homework if you are buying a car, and verify the numbers before hand.  If you buy the car, and when you go to register it it comes back as stolen, etc, you will lose the car and the money.  It happens more than people probably think.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010 - 12:20:01 PM »
 :woo:

Glad they caught him. I hate it when scum like him rip people off.

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010 - 06:44:11 PM »
:woo:

Glad they caught him. I hate it when scum like him rip people off.
:iagree: sooner or later if you play with fire, your fingers will get burned
Dennis,Ohio

Offline alphabuck

• Pics of my project
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010 - 05:05:51 AM »
a guy i know has an aar cuda.  red on red with a stick.  its famous around here for having sat in front of his house rotting away for over 20 years.  when they went to winch it up the only thing that kept it from folding in half was the doors were closed. 

recently i was told he was going to restore it.  i found out what restore meant when i noticed the red 73 or 74 340 cuda  " donor " car sitting at a place thats been known to do vin swaps.

the interesting part about the vin swap guys is alot of em dont even see it as doing anything wrong they are just saving labor and money in their eyes. 

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010 - 06:37:13 AM »
Personally, I think it happens all the time. I think it's rare that people get caught.

:iagree:

Some are just more crafty than others...  That being said I know therre are stampings all over my cuda, I was under it pulling out the rear yoke when I noticed a sequence of numbers on one of the floor pans, when I looked at the vin it matched part of the vin.  I was impressed.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010 - 11:09:46 AM »
:iagree:

Some are just more crafty than others...  That being said I know therre are stampings all over my cuda, I was under it pulling out the rear yoke when I noticed a sequence of numbers on one of the floor pans, when I looked at the vin it matched part of the vin.  I was impressed.

Don

Wow?!?!  The floor pan?  Was it stamped on the metal or like printed on?  I wonder if people know this when they replace the floor pans....  :clueless:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010 - 11:14:13 AM »
Got a picture?

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010 - 12:53:45 PM »
what if you replace body panels that are stamped with body panels from another car?
my car has challenger grill  charge kmember and other parts replaced .
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010 - 05:36:46 PM »
Got a picture?

:popcorn:    Doesn't sound right, you found the "hidden" stampings only the cops know about.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010 - 05:57:29 PM »
I get the heebee geebee's just seeing the post vin swap . :faint: 

Barry, I got Don's car at my house under cover right now. If he tells me where to look, I would snap a picture for you and send it. It may be a month or better. I am assembling his engine before I pull his car out of the corner of my shop, and I have my race car with the engine out beside it and another cuda beside it along with a lot of engines and stuff, so I cant get to it quite yet, unless he says it is easy to reach, I can have a skinny neighbor slide up under his car with a light and camera. :thumbsup:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010 - 06:33:22 PM »
Im overseas right now but I will get a pic when I get home.  Alan all I rem is that I was under the car and noticed a sequence of # that seemed familar.  When I got done with the work I check the vin and it matched.  I had no idea it was rare to find somthing like that or I would have taken a pic. 

Don

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010 - 06:54:05 PM »
Did it start with two letters Don? SS maybe?

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010 - 09:11:49 AM »
Did it start with two letters Don? SS maybe?

Barry,

Id be lying if I told you I remembered but I think it was just numbers???  I do know it was on the back half of the car as that is the area I was working on and the car was jacked up.  I promise I will take a pic when I get home. 

Don