Chances of finding the original owener of your car

Author Topic: Chances of finding the original owener of your car  (Read 4708 times)

Offline AARCUDADEN

Chances of finding the original owener of your car
« on: October 06, 2010 - 06:37:14 PM »
Has anyone ever been lucky enough to meet them? My wish came true this past saturday at a small town car show. I am the fifth ower of my AAR and i've always wondered if the oringial owner still was around or not or even still alive. As soon as i pulled into show he came over looking at my car and talking about how he bought one brand new exlactly like it in 1970. I was busy talking to one of my budds and he knew talking to another friend i followed to the show. Afterwards my friend came over to me and said that guy over there says he bought one of these brand new in 70 and it was exlactly like yours. I said whats his name and he told me and i says thats the name of the guy who bought this car brand newand i thought could it be? So we went and caught up to him and and i showed him a warrenty paper that was in the glove compartment and he says hell thats me :roflsmiley: I don't know witch of us was more excited. The fact i finally found him and meet him or he got to see his old car. He had some stories to tell about it and the reason he let it go and he asked to buy it back  :biggrin: I told him not for sale but his name was at the very top of the list IF i ever decided to sell it. Who would of ever thought they would meet someone who was the very guy that bought your car brand new at a very small towns car show. I'm still smilein about it  :bigsmile: And the best part was when he was asked why he bought it, he said he and a friend was on a beer run and saw the car at the lot  :smilielol:
Dennis,Ohio

Alaskan_TA

Re: Chances of finding the original owener of your car
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010 - 06:43:27 PM »
Cool!

A pal was at Carlisle a few years back with his T/A & a guy walked up & asked him if he wanted the original four speed for it. He had brought it there to sell & noticed his old car. Brian bought it on the spot.  :cheers:

Offline babyelephant

• Ol' Kozmic Blues again Mama
    • WPC Club of Norway
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010 - 06:57:35 PM »
Cool story! If possible I'd love to get in touch with whoever did the tasteful subject of buying my car new.   :grinyes:
I do have names and addresses of ownership from the mid 80ies until today.
JH23J0B
88 BMW 635 CSiA
87 Trans Am GTA
x RH23G8E

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010 - 07:13:42 PM »
 i've always wondered if the oringial owner still was around or not or even still alive:faint:
Jeezzz, how old do you think we original owners are??

No more calendars for you AARCUDADEN!!!

JK

judy
feeling very old........ :'(

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010 - 07:36:21 PM »

In your case, not a day over 29.  :-*

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010 - 07:46:45 PM »
I have all the original dealership docs with the first buyers name. But never tried to contact him.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010 - 07:51:20 PM »
I'm the 3rd owner and I bought my car in 2003 from a guy that bought it from the original owner in 2001.  After I paid for the car, he said, "Oh yeah, here's a folder that goes with it." 

Curious I looked inside to find the original invoice along with other documents from when the original owner bought the car August 31, 1971.  I did some searching and it turns out that he wasn't too far off the course that I was traveling to get the car back to my house.  I gave him a call to let him kknow I was buying his old car and to get some history and he asked if I could swing by with the car.  When he saw it he had tears in his eyes and made my promise that if I were to ever sell the car to call him first.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010 - 08:19:22 PM »
...I have an original low miles 69 HURST Olds survivor and I have contacted the original owner, no response from him at all

...I also have a 70 Challenger 440 SIX PACK, also called the original owner, talked to his wife, no response from him

...recently purchased a 69 GTO Judge from the original owner, 42K mile survivor

pix...long story short ...I raced this car once in March 1969...never saw it again until I found it in a garage 6 blocks from my house...it had sat there for 37 years...minor stuff, the car was running like new in a couple of days...the original lady owner drove it to work every day until gas hit .50 cents per gallon, she parked the Judge and bought a Duster
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010 - 08:26:51 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010 - 08:26:35 PM »
Every time I look in a mirror I see the original owner of my Barracuda. 
The trouble is, he looks WAY older than me! :scared:
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010 - 10:12:17 PM »
i've always wondered if the oringial owner still was around or not or even still alive:faint:

No more calendars for you AARCUDADEN!!!

JK

judy
feeling very old........ :'(
Dang, leave it up to me and open my big mouth and insert my foot  ;D Judy i'm sure you're a beautiful YOUNG lady  :grinyes: Now do i get my 2011 calender  :bananasmi This car always amazes me. Seems the more time goes by i own this car, the more i hear about someone who shares a memory about it with me or has known one of the previous owners from the past. But meeting this guy was just plain awesome. I guess thats one of the pleasures of owning an old muscle car. The second owner of it surprised me once two when he brought me over the original window sticker he had all those years  :faint: God i love this hobby! Datonta, thats amazing and to think only 6 blocks from your house  :woo:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010 - 10:59:02 PM »
I would like to find out who the original owner of my car was but in Michigan, they only keep records for the last 10 year.  After than . . .  :screwy:

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010 - 07:17:21 AM »
And the best part was when he was asked why he bought it, he said he and a friend was on a beer run and saw the car at the lot  :smilielol:

He must be a older uncle of Chris    :roflsmiley:

That's a neat story Dennis, and he still obviously loves old cars otherwise he wouldn't have been at the show.  :2thumbs:

I traced the original owner of my Charger through the Md. state police , I sent a letter to have transferred by the state police since they would only supply a name but no address. Never heard back from the family but the post commander had an officer do a title search and he notified me the original owner was deceased, killed in Nam. I also had three good friends killed over there, and that information made the Charger even more special to me.   :wavingflag:  I'LL never sell her for any reason.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010 - 07:58:49 AM »
that`s a really cool story. I wish I knew a bit more about my cuda`s history.  I`only know the guy I bought it from.
*** Bart ***

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010 - 09:11:47 AM »
Very cool stories so far. I am the 3rd owner of my 72 Challenger and have the original paper work from when it was sold new with the original owners contact information. I have never tried to contact the original owner though partly because they are/were in Illinois and I am in California. I did show the car to the people I bought it from after I had gone through the car and they were simply amazed, the wife commented that it is way faster now then it ever was when they owned it (granted I have replaced the original stock 318 with a mildly built 340).
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010 - 09:21:53 AM »
...in our little town there are still a few one owner cars (maybe more)

...69 Daytona, rough
...69 Dart GTS, looks like new
...69 Z-28, looks new
...69 Z-28, still a daily driver and has 300-400,000 miles last time I asked the owner